Valve Discusses Charging Customers Based on Popularity

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Worst idea I've ever heard, and I've been to the "should you need a license to be a parent?" thread.

People are assholes. You can't charge them extra for being themselves. It's bad business. If you're looking to drive away your customer base, go with this model.

And the potential for abuse? Worst idea ever.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
So the people who are really popular gets free games, but the people who hides in the shadows and doesn't socialize much with random people but don't annoy anyone either gets left out in the cold too?
Yeah no thanks.
I'm selfish that way.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
I have to wonder if such a system would even be legal. Couldn't someone sue for discrimination?

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Wouldn't this just be a form of ethical and philosophical slavery? Gabe seems to understand the two black and white areas (Gentleman Pro and Asshole Troll) but what of the grey areas? The grey areas are so subjective that any system like this is just a large form of social control online.

There are two paths I can see this too. One is mob rule of popularity and the other is valve enforcers. Mob rule would be horrible because it means your actions could be seen negative when it's not or just stupid. Mob rule could and will ruin peoples financial and public lives because one man and his boys can rate bomb a person. Look at Metacritic and Portal 2 for example, because one thing was wrong with the game, many people gave a 0 for the game and lowered the overall score of the game for a selfish or petty reason.

If they go on enforcers, well can we say Fascism? YOu must act this way, behave this way, talk this way, move this way. It will be nothing more but 1984 but in the worse place, Online Gaming.

The intention is good, but the idea of having a punishment and reward for your actions is too broad, too subjective, and too abuse-able.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Nothing quite like regulating a personality.
Being a dick in real life comes with consequences, why shouldn't there be a way to punish the dicks in the online gaming universe?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure I heard something like this before.So, I hope they actually do it this time.

NoirXRouge

Apr 2, 2011
It's difficult for me to tell if this is purely satire, or a massive stream of sarcasm which the author quoted as fact. This is honestly the worst idea I have ever heard. First of all, there is really no way this could work, if someone really wants to grief they will, haters gotta hate. Additionally, this is a large cost towards the "good players", as they will have fewer people to play against, and of course, part of the fun in many of these games is humiliating the griefers in their own sport. It seems like the videogame industry wants to integrate real world experience with the online, and this seems to be failing. Using real currency for this plan would not work in the slightest, and if so, it would be unjust, essentially punishing people for the times in which their brother logs on to their steam account. Perhaps a system similar to the "poker" buy in fee in Black ops could be implemented, if this were an absolute necessity for the gaming industry. As well, the basis of assessing a gamer are very flawed. The common practice relies on other gamers assessing the players sportsmanship and maturity, by submitting referrals of the player, yet what would be considered unsportsmanlike? While this practice holds strong when someone drives his Wraith tank off a cliff, while full of team mates, constant noob- tubing could also be considered unsportsmanlike. All in all, this is a terrible, almost nonsensical idea, which if used, could take us one step closer to making online gamers an elitist group.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Since 99% of internet users are jerks, I don't see how this will work.

If they want to change prices, then change prices depending on the place where the buyer lives. It's not the same to spend 50$ if you're from the USA or a part of Eastern Europe.

my2cent.

UtterTramp

Oct 29, 2009
How about dirty wet rag to the forehead, Gabe? Would you like that?
There are so many ways this could back fire... Hereby, with this post I, as a gamer and Steam user, display my total disapproval.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
Therumancer said:
However, by all means, if Valve DOES decide to make this official policy, please have Gabe annouce it in person, on video, and have him wear an Ozymandias costume,
lol,

Gabe Newell dressed as Oz: We have decided to implement the popularity system, it will be voted on by other players.

Internet: SURELY YOUR NOT SERIOUS, YOU CANT POSSIBLY BE THINKING OF DOING THIS! When will this be done, we must organize to petition it!

Gabe Newell: You thought I'd let there be a chance to stop it? It was implemented 20 minutes ago.

OT: I like it. If it's done right.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Sounds to me like Newell is just tired of getting called a fatass... and getting teabagged in shooters.

When did all the babying and pansie assed behavior start? What he says is true, some people are jerks, but charging them more is just ridiculous.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
i think it would work better if you get discounts or price raises on a few factors, if people say good things about you, discount. if you play a lot, discount. if you buy alot of games, discount. if you act like a jerk in games you shouldnt, slight price raise. if you dont follow the rules on a server and get banned, price raise.

one thing with something like that, dont do if you dont buy games for so long the price goes up

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
You know what other company desperately needs this? Pentavision. S4league has such a bad community, that after quitting for half a year, I came back, played a couple games, and am probably gonna quit again.

Simple, give good players more items, and make assholes have to spend more money.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
If it's well executed then it'll be awesome. I remain sceptical of how effective it will be though.

How will Valve be able to tell which players are "mean" and which are "nice"? What if "nice" players are reported by "mean" players just for the "mean" player's own satisfaction?

and what about private servers?

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I see two possible negative results from this idea.

1) Slightly more rage on the internet overall. The goal of this plan seems to be to anger those who are already overly loud, racist, homophobic and boisterous in their commentary.

2) Douche-chic. "Hah, can YOU afford to be a douchebag on TF2? Nope. You're so poor you have to be POLITE to afford to play this game."

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I can see a lot of potential in this concept, I can also see a lot of ways it might backfire.