Valve Engineer Develops Tongue-Controlled Mouse

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Honestly, given many more years of development to make it much more precise, I could totally go for this as a gaming device. Having an extra hand to devote to the keyboard sounds great.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So what he did is take mouse laser sensor and put it close to tongue? thats hardy an invention...
that being said this can be awesome for people with paralysis. Now they can fully use the computer as well. And you dont really NEED a keyboard, you can use on screen keyboard with a mouse. I mean if i was paralyzed on screen keyboard would be least of my concerns.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
While some have mentioned the potential for using this for people who don't have the use of their arms I am thinking it can be used for some scientific things too.

If you work in a cold environment such as on one of the poles you are burdened by thick clothes and gloves which may make it hard to use electronic devices, but with a UI made to work using this could make that easier.

There's also working with a computer while your hands are full which I have experienced on some chemistry labs. There's also the issue of needing to replace your gloves and take them off before touching anything. One of the hazzards is simply touching things people have already touched wearing gloves (computer mice and door handles are common problems).

zzkill

Nov 12, 2012
1337mokro said:
though it'd suck if it short-circuited.
I doubt it would be much of a problem, electronics use low voltage DC current. Even if the thing had a short in your mouth, you would, in the worst case, get the same feeling as from a shocking pen, but since it's only a sensor I doubt it would get there. The USB itself has a 5V output, it barely does anything, except scare the crap out of an unsuspecting individual.

Besides, the thing is encased in plastic, separated from the mouth completely, otherwise saliva would be a problem. On that note, wouldn't the user salivate like crazy with this in the mouth?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I'm thinking more tetraplegic patients with remaining mouth-, face- and tongue-mobility than augmented reality, but... yeah, good thing.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
On the one hand, innovative. On the other hand, ever so slightly eww.

I actually support this on just the developmental basis alone; I've already seen some scenarios where mouth-controls are not a bad idea (in a largely teen-friendly science fiction franchise even)...in this case, jetpack controls for full-enclosure power armor leaving the hands free for gear and combat.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
I'd be bothered about the sanitary requirements that need to go hand in hand with the usage of a device like this.

Jun 20, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
I don't know anyone, save people without arms, who would use a Tongue Mouse... It just seems like a really dumb way to work with a PC...
Not bashing or anything, but a buddy of mine did get maimed overseas. We used to play games together frequently, but since he got back, there hasn't been much of a way to do so. It's been kind of a quiet heart-breaker. That aside, I work in IT for an organization that has several handicapped personnel. A device like this could be quite advantageous. Given that, I'm all for the inclusive qualities a device like this can enable.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
MinionJoe said:
And the first thought anyone had about this was "it wouldn't be good for gaming" and not "this could be useful for people with tetraplegia"?
Actually soon as I saw it I thought it was an awesome way to get folks who were limited by either injury or birth defect a way to still play games... combined with other accessories. I have a couple acquaintances that I thought kinect would initially be good for, but later rethought that as it just wasn't well implemented or designed.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
If Valve is trying to make gaming available to quadriplegics, this sounds like a good first step.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah this has many applications for disabled people.

For general gaming or computing use, I really don't see a point to it though