Valve Hiring For Help With Hardware

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm wondering if most people are even reading the news post, let alone the job posting.

Why is the topic of a "Steam Box" even still coming up? The job posting mentions nothing on working on crafting a new gaming platform. It talks about envisioning and inventing a new method of interaction for games(software).

Seems fairly obvious to me that the "house that Gaben built" wants to design and produce a peripheral gaming device. Most likely one that takes advantage of the biometric-feedback technology they've been testing with in-house.

This, personally, is more exciting to me than some PC-console hybrid.

captcha: watch out

Hmm...a warning of ill omen or cautious excitement?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
it's very clearly a new smart phone, built with it's own steam and games specifically for it. so basically it'll be the indie section of steam on a phone, with a few badly put together knock offs of computer games

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Whatever Valve has in the works to put out something like this it must be significant in some way.

Maybe E3 shall reveal all.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
HALF-LIFE 2 EPISODE 3: A STEAM BOX EXCLUSIVE.
"Get the steam box for 1500$! Bundle deal, get Steam Box with Half Life 3 for 2500$!"

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
Okay, that would be a dick move. Of course, I doubt Valve, with its PC-friendly reputation, would consider that, assuming they plan to get into the console market at all. This seems like rumors on top of rumors at best. Valve also heavily supports the mod community which consoles don't do, although I suppose that could change provided they don't use proprietary encoding like the current gen, but then it would just be a gaming PC.
Worgen said:
I don't think they would make a console, they might be working on a specialty pc kind of thing though.
I'd be more inclined to believe this if anything at all.
grigjd3 said:
This sounds to me like Valve is wanting to explore the methods of interaction with the game - whether by controls or visuals. I wouldn't read too much into it.
This seems like the most plausible explanation, but we'll just have to wait see what they're cooking up.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
TheMann said:
CrossLOPER said:
Okay, that would be a dick move. Of course, I doubt Valve, with its PC-friendly reputation, would consider that, assuming they plan to get into the console market at all. This seems like rumors on top of rumors at best. Valve also heavily supports the mod community which consoles don't do, although I suppose that could change provided they don't use proprietary encoding like the current gen, but then it would just be a gaming PC.
Worgen said:
I don't think they would make a console, they might be working on a specialty pc kind of thing though.
I'd be more inclined to believe this if anything at all.
grigjd3 said:
This sounds to me like Valve is wanting to explore the methods of interaction with the game - whether by controls or visuals. I wouldn't read too much into it.
This seems like the most plausible explanation, but we'll just have to wait see what they're cooking up.
Wait no longer, good sir, for all has been revealed. And by the famous Michael Abrash, no less!

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
You know what would be cool? A way for console peasants to play with the PC master race via the Internet

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Evil Smurf said:
You know what would be cool? A way for console peasants to play with the PC master race via the Internet
That's already possible... it just isn't done.

The 3 major issues are:

1 - the console network owners don't like PCs getting anywhere near their walled gardens as they see it as a security risk.

2 - different game types favour different control schemes... less of an issue these days, at least for games that favour controllers... but try a game type that favours kb+m and you're going to get very lopsided gameplay without massive handicaps.

3 - probably the most important one, to be done properly the game has to be designed from the ground up as multi-platform not 'one main platform and we'll port everything else'... that results in shit we see like PS3 framerate chokes, sloppy PC control implementation and so on.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Worgen said:
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo release platforms = consoles!

Valve releases same mass-assembled platform = "specialty PC"?

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
Aye, my initial thoughts upon reading this were of that other project they've got going on- Steam on the TV n' all.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, gawrsh drattit. I'm entering an Electronics Engineering course this year. I won't be ready for two years.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
Wait no longer, good sir, for all has been revealed. And by the famous Michael Abrash, no less!

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/
Thanks for that link, that was a great read.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Maybe it's Valve brand PC? Well, and games will come out with mark "guaranteed to run at maximum settings at 60 FPS on Valve PC 1.1.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Well they got alot of statistics to find out what the average gaming PCs are. I have always hoped that some sort of PC/console hybrid would be available so that the console peasants could gently be introduced to the possibilities with PC. And I have sold my soul to Gabe a long time ago so I dont believe they will do anything bad, EVER!And if they do, my worldview will be shattered.