Valve: If Steam Sales Didn't Work We Wouldn't Run Them

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
You know what's surprises me? It's that EA hasn't tried to justify that sale they had after saying sales cheapen property.

As for Steam sales they do work because I've brought games I would never have bothered to if it weren't cheap (e.g. the Ghost Recon collection, granted I regret this after finding out the advanced warfighters are completely different to the 360 version).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
These kind of sales are needed because devs/publushers usually don't price their games, it's always 50/60 bucks no matter the length/replay/quality.
There's a lot of games I got on the cheap because to me they weren't worth the asking price at all.

Skyrim and Saints Row the Third? Yeah they were well worth the asking price (to me) however Call of Duty World at War? I had no plans of playing the game multiplayer so half off was pretty great.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
dragongit said:
In short.

EA likes money, and thinks thing should be expensive so they get all the money. If a game is 60 dollars it must be 60 dollars. There is no compromise.

Valve also likes money, but so do developers and publishers. They may get less off these games during sales, but a lot of them are old games that have not had many salse in a long time to begin with. Valve figures out if they put them on sale for a limited time, it encourages people to buy them if on impulse alone, not only generating revenu for Valve but for the developers of these games.

Bottom line, EA is greedy as sin, where is Valve likes to get paid as anyone else,but they figure the long term gain outweighs the short term.
I've only ever bought one hat; The Tough Guy's Toque. Simply because it's a Jayne Hat, and my Mum knitted me one in real life.

The thing is with the hats, lots of them you can find just by playing the game. That isn't something EA allow, it seems. The point I'm trying to make with Hats is that Valve have them as an optional extra that you can obtain by playing the game, or you can fast track your way there by paying for them. EA would never allow such a thing.

[sub](I'm not disagreeing, just adding my two cents) c:[/sub]

Edit for extra stufffz.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
if it were not for steam sales i would never have purchased a single game from steam

hell if they had objectives like last year id probably have spent twice what i did

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
I find it funny that even though the service is named Steam that EA produces far MORE "hot air" than them!!

The envy, it BURNS doesn't it EA?

Don't expect everyone to gobble up your "Origin" shit and be pissed because people have STANDARDS to compare your half-assed effort to!

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Valve promotes awesome indie games by selling them at a cheaper price. They literally help push companies past the high walled barriers to the market. They make people millionaires and create new content by promoting good games.

EA shits on everything and gets themselves into the development process to ensure they can brand the game as their own creative license. They literally destroy small developers.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
dragongit said:
In short.

EA likes money, and thinks thing should be expensive so they get all the money. If a game is 60 dollars it must be 60 dollars. There is no compromise.

Valve also likes money, but so do developers and publishers. They may get less off these games during sales, but a lot of them are old games that have not had many salse in a long time to begin with. Valve figures out if they put them on sale for a limited time, it encourages people to buy them if on impulse alone, not only generating revenu for Valve but for the developers of these games.
Also, according to their research, a 75% off sale on steam increases sales by around 3000%. So putting things on sale actually makes you more money.
^Right. It's why companies like walmart are so effective, except this version promotes indie devs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Jowe said:
Strazdas said:
while i agree with Valve on this id like to pont out that now Arma combined operations bundle is only 20 euros and add a free dayz mod to that and you get best survival horror game ever made. so go get that.
DayZ isn't horror, and you can (could? last week) buy it for cheaper on the bohemia interactive site £15 for me, the steam sale is for £20.

Sorry if you recently bought arma2 :p
It can be horror if you let it to be so. This clip illustrates the fun and scares that you cna get plying it with friends on realistic settings (not the novice all zombies glow stings) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvyZAw_pcu0 its not my clip, i dont record games on this pc (its too slow for that) but its a good example. I have bought arma bundle months ago (back then it was 25 euros) and i rarely say it but it has been worth it.