Valve: If Steam Sales Didn't Work We Wouldn't Run Them

Sep 14, 2009
Rednog said:
It was up on Amazon for 2 weeks, and it is for a steam key of the game.
while that is a shame people missed out on it, i still stand by the fact that people are lazy, they just check steam because it's known for having sales (amazon clearly had a better deal, but when i do pay attention, that's a bit fewer and far in between than steam is, and usually when i find them they are physical copies that are cheaper)

still, spec ops i had zero interest in, so i didn't miss out, amazon just doesn't advertise like steam does i guess.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Is "intellectual property" the new "artistic integrity" for EA, or is it just me? Also, I like Steam, I love their sales, and while it definitely has its flaws, I prefer it to Origins. Given EA's general treatment of their customers, bad PR, and the declining quality of their games, I'd say they're just mud-slinging in an attempt to get attention and distract from their shortcomings.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
XavierAmaru said:
One thing that the EA people just seem to ignore (or don't realize) is that the Steam sales builds customer loyalty (seems kinda obvious if you think about it too).

I would never have even downloaded Origin if I didn't need it for ME3. Now that my Origin and ME3 is having server issues, I wont bother playing it for a while and stay away from Origin as long as I can.

Whereas Steam, I actually downloaded and installed precisely because they were having massive sales. The fact that they continue this, makes me continue coming back and turns no sales, into actual sales. I bought more games then I have had time to play, but I keep getting them since they are such great deals and I am happy to support Steam.

EA is just lucky they had ME3, otherwise most people wouldn't have bothered with Origin. Honestly, the EA comment seems kinda business ignorant and shortsighted.

Meh
This is 100% true! I was one of the lucky ones to get Portal for free one of those times it was free. It's because of the experience I had with my free version of Portal, that I bought Portal 2 when it came out. I'm more loyal to Valve now then I ever was before, EA can go suck a dick IMO.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
EA needs to realize that sales aren't cheapening their IPs, EA is. I'm not willing to spend $60 on an EA title because they generally suck. When their games get down to the $5 range, I might consider playing them but otherwise, I don't want to waste my money.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"You, you Valve-heads with your 'customer loyalty' and your 'business model that works'... In my day, we made them pay full price for the game, mugged them before they left the shop, and kicked 'em in the ass on the way out! And everyone liked it just fine! Consarn it..."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
T_ConX said:
My feelings for Steam, on the other hand, are best communicated through this:

Video: Favorite'd. The internet is totally crazy, but they come up with hilariously relevant things.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
100% chance what I am about to post has already been said:

a) If a game is discounted, players who have been hesitant about buying, are more likely to buy it due to it being better value for money. If there are more than one games the buyer was interested in, he or she will be more willing to buy more discounted game due to 'getting into the retail frenzy'. Also impulse buying.

b) A player buys a game cheap/gets it for free, essentially gets a copy of a game they wouldn't normally have. They play the game and really enjoy it and/or recommends it to one of their friends. The friend buys the game during/after the promotion.

That's my theories as to why Valve's discount sales work.

A consumer will opt to buy a game cheaply than pirate it for free. For a start they have insurance that the product is 100% functional and get get support. But secondly don't feel guilty. It's also pathetic stealing (well cloning) £5.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Surprising a large American company like EA doesn't understand capitalism.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Rastelin said:
Lunar Templar said:
yes, there is.

there's an award handed out annually for the 'worst US Company'. they won last year. my guess, they're going for 2 in a row
Ahh yes I remember. Well then! I would venture a guess. They will at this rate in deed be on that metaphorical stage again thanking the gamers and their parents for the support, or rather the lack of it if you will.
and then, hopefully, go under >:3

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I think EA's biggest problem is that its run by a bunch of 'old-white-dude-executive' types who tend to have a very narrow scope of how business models should work. Most of whom are afraid to try new things and tend to forget how much goodwill can be worth.

Valve meanwhile has managed to figure out a way to turn goodwill into vast sums of money.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
Just for my own amusement a while back, I dug up and listed out my top 100 games.

96 of them were made by EA.

None were made by Valve.

CONCLUSION: I continue to not be a Valve customer. Cya Valve, hope everything works out.
I hate Valve's games. I think they're overrated, which is the least of my criticism.
However. Steam is the best damn marketplace I've ever seen. I've bought more over the past week of the sale than I've bought in an entire year. And I've still probably spent less. Say what you will about Valve's own games, but their marketing is fantastic.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Rednog said:
Ed130 said:
Amazon can be really finicky with downloads if you don't live in the US. An attempt to download a soundtrack turned into a series of loops that ended with a "sorry this service isn't avalible outside the US."
Like I said I was looking at the rankings for the North American client. Also, Spec Ops the Line requires Steam, it was for a steam key.
You included me as part of your evidence aginst the Steam community (or at least the American one, of which I am not a part of.) I'll keep an eye on Amazon but the runaround and their apparent stupidity in not checking wheather credit cards match addresses have made me wary of their service.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
Just for my own amusement a while back, I dug up and listed out my top 100 games.

96 of them were made by EA.

None were made by Valve.

CONCLUSION: I continue to not be a Valve customer. Cya Valve, hope everything works out.
I'm courious, could you break down the list if you still have it? (ie early or late EA, physical dsisk or DD, uses Origin or not? And weather the devs still exist or not?)

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Rednog said:
I honestly lost faith in the steam community when Spec Ops hit like #5 of top sellers on the North American client. Amazon had it for $25 and no one bought it. People are head of heals for steam that they'll willingly pay more to buy it directly from them than save a handful of money.
I'm quite willing to pay an extra $8 to have the game on Steam instead of Amazon or Origin or wherever. I don't need or want multiple game services, and I don't want physical media cluttering up the place.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My best buddy hates Steam due to a internet issue about 2 years ago. I've been bragging to him non-stop about this sale. I have become a fan. Origin has to deal with that.
Steam got some money from me that, without a sale, they wouldn't have gotten at all.
$2.49 for Dear Esther: I can't write it is worth more that, but if several million people buy it at that price, it is a modest hit and it really was something very different.
Metro 2033 for $4.99... new Metro is coming out soon. Why shouldn't they get a few bucks off the original that came out in 2010?
The only downside: I'm not as chomping at the bit for new IP. But maybe I'll enjoy 2033 so much, I just may pay full price for the new Metro where I might have otherwise passed on it.
It is called Marketing EA.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
The thing that EA doesn't seem to understand is, digital sales don't work like other sales. You don't have to sell games above a set price in order to cover the price of that copy. No, all digital sales are pure profit (I'm pretty sure? Even if there is a little loss, it's a very little loss I'm pretty sure) for that copy at least. So that means any money earned on a sale is a little money towards reaching that "break-even" point.

Lumber Barber said:
I can't decide which is my favourite, "Tic Tac Told" or "The Elder Tolds IV: Oblivious".

Although I'm also partial to "For Whom the Bell Told".

Nice work dude.