Valve Injects Left 4 Dead Tech Into Alien Swarm

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Too bad everyone shouts at you if you actually do anything but run to the end of the mission and ignore aliens.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Seemed like the natural direction to take the game; surprised they didn't do it earlier, maybe they were just afraid of it being "top-down L4D with aliens instead of zombies."
Not wild about the idea of a harder difficulty, mostly because I don't dare play on anything harder than Normal. Friendly fire is already bad enough, especially since most players don't seem to understand their bullets aren't healing me when I get infested.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
My thoughts on this?

Alien Swarm is a great opportunity to test the AI director outside of L4D to measure it's portability. The game gets an added edge and Valve get feedback on it's effectiveness.

Valve then release Half Life 3 with a new source engine and fully mature AI director and TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
It's good they support all their games, but this should have come out sooner. The games appeal, at least to me, is gone. I find it boring now, and even with this new addition, it doesn't seem any more enticing.

Freelancer86

May 23, 2009
No word on new from valve maps though! At least they're actually adding something, but I think the Jacob campaign is engraved into our heads by now. (THE FREAKING RESIDENTIAL ZONE!)

On that note, are there any high quality maps that have been made for this by the community that have come out?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Woodsey said:
Jesus titty-fucking Christ I love Valve.
No kidding, these guys really know how to make a gamer happy. From now on, whoever bitches about installing Steam [ Acceptable DRM ] should be beheaded on the spot!
That's the thing though, they're so customer-friendly and Steam's so useful that I don't even think of it as DRM.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Tis a fun game. Alien + shotgun = winning combo. Technically I haven't completed a campaign on Hard yet, never mind insane or brutal. Still...

As for Steam as DRM, yeah..its DRM. It stops me selling/lending games. On the other hand, free backup, as many installs as I like, stable, auto patching... it may be a cage but its a NICE cage with room service.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
How about some some more maps, like more than the one and only it has now. Then I'll be impressed or start to care.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I like the game, but difficulties of insane+ are just impossible. Never survived for more than 2-3 minutes there, while hard is pretty challenging.

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
... Man, some people just take it above and beyond with difficulty. I'm glad they're around to remind me that I Don't completely waste my life.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Okay, I might have problems with Valve sometimes, but, releasing a good game free and updating it for free with your latest tech - that's awesome.