Valve Invites "Experienced Linux Users" to Test Steam

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Does Gabe Newell fear/hate Windows 8 that much
It's not a case of fear or hatred. Microsoft and Apple both appear to turning their desktops OS's into walled gardens. Walled gardens from which competing services like Steam, Origin, D2D and Desura are likely to be excluded. It's merely a case of hedging Valve's bets.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Andrew_C said:
Atmos Duality said:
Does Gabe Newell fear/hate Windows 8 that much
It's not a case of fear or hatred. Microsoft and Apple both appear to turning their desktops OS's into walled gardens. Walled gardens from which competing services like Steam, Origin, D2D and Desura are likely to be excluded. It's merely a case of hedging Valve's bets.
Exclusion sounds like good reason to fear Windows to me.
So far, I've heard conflicting stories about Windows 8, and without having hands-on experience, I don't know if it's a walled garden system or not.

Probably should do my research...after the small invasion of trick-or-treaters stop.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Exclusion sounds like good reason to fear Windows to me.
So far, I've heard conflicting stories about Windows 8, and without having hands-on experience, I don't know if it's a walled garden system or not.

Probably should do my research...after the small invasion of trick-or-treaters stop.
Windows 8 isn't a walled garden, but it's clear from Windows RT (the ARM version of Windows 8), which is locked down and only runs apps from the Windows Store, that this is the direction Microsoft wants to take Windows.