Valve Joins the Linux Foundation

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Valve Joins the Linux Foundation

With its Linux-based operating system for SteamOS, Valve plans to help the Linux Foundation in promoting the advancement of the Linux operating system.

Valve is one of three companies to join the Linux Foundation, according to a press release. The foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to Linux growth and the support of an open source community. This comes to no surprise as Valve has embraced Linux in the Steam Machines project.

Steam Machines are powered by SteamOS, a Linux-based operating system open to anyone. "Joining the Linux Foundation is one of many ways Valve is investing in the advancement of Linux gaming," Valve's Mike Sartain said in the press release. "Through these efforts, we hope to contribute tools for developers building n ew experiences on Linux, compel hardware manufacturers to prioritize support for Linux, and ultimately deliver an elegant and open platform for Linux users."

Also joining the foundation are Cloudius Systems and HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) Foundation. Cloudius Systems, a startup company, is developing an open source operating system for cloud workloads. The company called the Linux Foundation "one of the most influential advocates for open cloud technologies." It plans to use the Linux Foundation for its open cloud network and events. HAS Foundation is a nonprofit backed by several companies - such as AMD and Samsung Electronics - with the goal of advancing heterogeneous parallel computing for better computing performance. HSA Foundation stated that Linux dominates mobile, cloud-based, and big dating - areas the company wants to support in an "open ecosystem."

Despite being a great example of free, open source software, Linux is still overshadowed. Steam and Desura support the Linux platform, but many games on Steam are still not made for Linux.

Source: Linux Foundation [http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2013/12/cloudius-systems-hsa-foundation-and-valve-join-linux-foundation]

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
roseofbattle said:
HSA Foundation stated that Linux dominates mobile, cloud-based, and big dating
Uh, you probably mean big data, right?
Anyways, great news for the future of Linux!
I'll be making a partition for SteamOS on my HDD (or SSD if I have one by then) when Valve outs with it. Somewhere around 2037.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I still think that SteamOS is going to coincidentally (not really) have the ability to run other Linux applications which will make it a de facto OS, with a browser, capability to run MS Office, Adobe products, and media players, among other essential apps. Considering that both HP and Dell have stopped offering Windows 7, I think Microsoft is going to turn more and more people away from them by pushing Windows 8. And when they finally stop supporting Windows 7, it's either Linux or Apple for me. Most likely Linux.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I'm really happy to read this with all the disappointment that has been coming from Microsoft regarding how they are moving foreward with Windows. I'm happy to see Linux based systems getting this boost.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
I still think that SteamOS is going to coincidentally (not really) have the ability to run other Linux applications which will make it a de facto OS, with a browser, capability to run MS Office, Adobe products, and media players, among other essential apps. Considering that both HP and Dell have stopped offering Windows 7, I think Microsoft is going to turn more and more people away from them by pushing Windows 8. And when they finally stop supporting Windows 7, it's either Linux or Apple for me. Most likely Linux.
It's a possibility that SteamOS could be as you described, though given that Valve want people to use their OS having little functionally beyond gaming and browsing would not likely encourage people to make a permanent switch. That said if SteamOS is indeed as open as other Linux distros then other Linux applications and even other desktop environments can be easily added to the OS no problem and vice versa with SteamOS features being used with other distros.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I know this is a bad comparison, but didn't Microsoft shut down all support for the original Xbox about 2-3 years after the introduction of the 360? They're different divisions and all, but it makes me wonder how many years of Windows 7 support are left, not to mention the 360. This is excluding XP of course, as I don't think MS wanted to piss off 500 million [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/01/six_months_end_xp_support/] people so soon.

I guess my wish for SteamOS to become a full fledged OS is just that: a wish. Time will tell though, but I'm usually wrong about these sort of things.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
SteamOS will be absed on Ubuntu, AFAIK. This means that there'll likely be a Steam repository that people can simply add in, meaning Valve has to support nothing but the Steam parts while you can still get an allround system from the other repositories. Everything else would be stupid from various angles, starting with things like kernel support/patching, integration of patches into non-steam libraries that are still needed by steam (openGL, for example) and ending with the simple idea of "why make it less than it can be, if it costs us nothing?"

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
I know this is a bad comparison, but didn't Microsoft shut down all support for the original Xbox about 2-3 years after the introduction of the 360? They're different divisions and all, but it makes me wonder how many years of Windows 7 support are left, not to mention the 360. This is excluding XP of course, as I don't think MS wanted to piss off 500 million [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/01/six_months_end_xp_support/] people so soon.

I guess my wish for SteamOS to become a full fledged OS is just that: a wish. Time will tell though, but I'm usually wrong about these sort of things.
Linux distros also tend to drop support for older version but the way they do depends on the developers. For example Ubuntu/Mint release long term support versions of their OS's that are supported for a number years (4-5 years I think) even after released updated versions. Others employ a rolling release system that just downlands all updates when asked without having to reinstall the newer OS. I assume give nthe way steam updates work now I assume that the SteamOS will use a rolling release method of support, especially since it will make the console/pc hybrid of the Steam Box easier to manage for none tech people who just want to play games with minimal fuss. I imagine the the main support problem will likely be obsolete hardware. Linux is now getting decent support for current hardware but support is a lot more spotty on older stuff, graphics card especially.

I think Steam OS may be a little bare boned on release though it will develop to a full OS in time (read Valve time). Though if that takes too long I expect some in the Linux community to take the optimisations of Steam OS and incorporate them into either a existing distro or a new one. One way or the other I think we will have a dedicated Linux gaming OS that can be used for general use.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Whoracle said:
SteamOS will be absed on Ubuntu, AFAIK.
SteamOS is custom build and not a fork of Ubuntu.

First paragraph, after the picture where you see the inside of the steam machine from the top.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/valve-steam-machine-hands-on/

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Sigh. I know all these Linux foundations have very lose rules, if any, but still. Valve makes these rants so easy.

I mean, here we have a company whose main product is:

- closed-source
- proprietary
- full of DRM
- negating user freedom
- storefront
- which forces other people's products to use their DRM

Well yes, what a marvellous addition to Linux indeed.

FizzyIzze said:
I still think that SteamOS is going to coincidentally (not really) have the ability to run other Linux applications
That said if SteamOS is indeed as open as other Linux distros
It's unfortunate that most people don't really know what Linux actually is.

Let me explain just a little bit. Linux (or rather GNU/Linux) is a set of applications, APIs and other stuff which is free, i.e. has an open source code and a licence which states that when you use this source code, any modifications you make you need to provide in the form of a source code back.

For example, when Samsung used some Linux code in their camera, they released... Get this, source code for the firmware of their cameras. (At least the parts which are contain Linux stuff. They don't need to open everything.)

So, if Valve releases their OS based on Linux, it means they HAVE TO provide the source code for everything which is even 1% based on open code. Now obviously Steam itself and the games aren't contained in that, but Valve will not be able to close down the system from other applications. Once it starts as Linux, it'll be compatible with Linux. Worst case scenario, you'll be able to download an open version of SteamOS from somewhere, because Valve will have to provide the source code.

Maybe it's more clear now why Steam on Linux is such a paradox.
It is not a paradox, not everyone is a FSF zealot, requiring that every software be free, you know.

Has for SteamOS, Valve has been pretty clear they have no intention of it been closed, for even if one of their service to publisher happen to be DRM (which they are in no obligation to use), you also have to remember that Valve is one of the most important proponent of user generated content in the video game industry.

And can you tell me what reason Valve would have to close SteamOS anyway, all that would accomplish is prevent other Linux based system from making their services available to their user. Basically what Valve is doing is simply building a standard Linux software stack specialized toward video games, from which user, developer and maintainer will all be able to benefit.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
iniudan said:
SteamOS is custom build and not a fork of Ubuntu.

First paragraph, after the picture where you see the inside of the steam machine from the top.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/valve-steam-machine-hands-on/
Oh dear god, why? This really is news to me. Why would they want to do this?
Ah well, I'm content if they get more publishers to support Linux, since I'm running Arch anyways, and won't switch either way.
But in this case, consider my previous post well and thoroughly contradicted until new evidence comes forth :)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
More than a few people I know, and have seen all over the Internets, are under the impression that this product is a standalone operating system capable of running their games. They either don't understand or easily forget that it only streams from an existing Windows based P.C. Since most gamers have a centralized hub, this new product isn't offering anything to make it worth investing in.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
008Zulu said:
More than a few people I know, and have seen all over the Internets, are under the impression that this product is a standalone operating system capable of running their games. They either don't understand or easily forget that it only streams from an existing Windows based P.C. Since most gamers have a centralized hub, this new product isn't offering anything to make it worth investing in.
What are you talking about SteamOS is a system fully capable of running Linux native games, it is the hardware that will decide the capability it will have.

Has for the streaming, it's from a system running Steam, the operating system is of no importance, but at the moment the streaming server platform is indeed likely to be a Windows based desktop PC. Be who to say in the future there couldn't be a dedicated or VM based Steam Machine server available, has to handle a multiple users and devices home's gaming need from a single computer, while the user just use whatever device they find more convenient for their current situation, instead of been locked down to a specific one.

People might tend toward a centralized hub, but you are forgetting that tendency are also toward decentralized end user devices.

Whoracle said:
Oh dear god, why? This really is news to me. Why would they want to do this?
Ah well, I'm content if they get more publishers to support Linux, since I'm running Arch anyways, and won't switch either way.
But in this case, consider my previous post well and thoroughly contradicted until new evidence comes forth :)
Because that way they are free to do whatever they want instead of been reliant on Canonical decision, thus can develop a system which efficiency focus on video games, instead of general use and will be up to other Linux system to implement whatever solution they engineered, which is likely to become the standard, due to no one really having put such effort toward a complete solution stack adapted to video game on a Linux based system before them.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
iniudan said:
What are you talking about SteamOS is a system fully capable of running Linux native games, it is the hardware that will decide the capability it will have.

Has for the streaming, it's from a system running Steam, the operating system is of no importance, but at the moment the streaming server platform is indeed likely to be a Windows based desktop PC. Be who to say in the future there couldn't be a dedicated or VM based Steam Machine server available, has to handle a multiple users and devices home's gaming need from a single computer, while the user just use whatever device they find more convenient for their current situation, instead of been locked down to a specific one.

People might tend toward a centralized hub, but you are forgetting that tendency are also toward decentralized end user devices.
Last time I checked; Call of Duty, Battlefield 4 or Farcry 3 do not run on (native) Linux.

My t.v has multiple HDMI in ports, my remote allows me to quickly swap between devices. Using the Steam Box as a means to control all my equipment seems inconvenient.

Until they release Linux versions of big AAA games, SteamOS isn't going to appeal to a lot of P.C gamers. Sure some will try it for the novelty value, maybe. But, I don't think it's ever going to be more than a niche product.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
008Zulu said:
Until they release Linux versions of big AAA games, SteamOS isn't going to appeal to a lot of P.C gamers. Sure some will try it for the novelty value, maybe. But, I don't think it's ever going to be more than a niche product.
I suppose that depends on opengl putting itself out there more in the minds of the developers, it seems forever ago that most big games had the option to use opengl or dx and more often than not had a linux installer as a result (well unless it was half life).

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
008Zulu said:
It's a bit ironic that you assert that others don't understand SteamOS while you apparently don't understand it yourself. In fact, your view on the SteamMachines and SteamOS seems to be a common misconception.

Which is kind of funny. I don't mean that as an insult. I really don't. I mean it's funny because a lot of people seem to think SteamOS and SteamMachines are nothing more than glorified HDMI cables.

Give the SteamOS FAQ page another look - http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Fast forward

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we?re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.

Keep in mind, too, that this big push towards Linux isn't just coming from Valve. There are a number of developers and influential designers who are taking part. Not to mention significant support and input from companies like AMD, Intel, nVidia, etc, etc. So, at least for a time, there looks to be a fair bit of support in this.

Whether that support lasts for any stretch remains to be seen.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
Yes it will very likely have all capabilities of normal linux OS in it. As far as win7 goes, its not HP or Dell. Its Microsoft. They have banned every sale of win 7 over win 8, just like they banned XP sales when they were pushing Vista. It is now illegal to sell windows 7 with new computer unless it was placed in there before the date MS decided it was so.
Thats why Xp and 7 is now sold from under the counter.

FizzyIzze said:
Well considnering that XP support dropped i think 3 years after Vista came out this is very liekly the case. They already made it illegal to sell any windows but 8, and filtering out the old ones are their priority. I am actually writing this from XP machine.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Vigormortis said:
It's a bit ironic that you assert that others don't understand SteamOS while you apparently don't understand it yourself. In fact, your view on the SteamMachines and SteamOS seems to be a common misconception.

Which is kind of funny. I don't mean that as an insult. I really don't. I mean it's funny because a lot of people seem to think SteamOS and SteamMachines are nothing more than glorified HDMI cables.

Give the SteamOS FAQ page another look - http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Fast forward

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we?re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.

Keep in mind, too, that this big push towards Linux isn't just coming from Valve. There are a number of developers and influential designers who are taking part. Not to mention significant support and input from companies like AMD, Intel, nVidia, etc, etc. So, at least for a time, there looks to be a fair bit of support in this.

Whether that support lasts for any stretch remains to be seen.
I have read the info concerning this new system, but, there is a certain degree of ambiguity in the text. It promises access to the best games, but nowhere does it state which AAA developers will be making ports of existing or planned games for this OS. That's what gamers are looking at with this new system; AAA developers. Personally, I would very much like to see Microsoft knocked off it's high horse. That was my hope when Apple became revitalized a while back, didn't turn out as well as many of us had hoped.

If they want this to be seen as an independent OS, then they need to set in to stone the fact that this is what it will be. The word "streaming" is mentioned too many times for it to be considered anything other than, as you put it, a glorified HDMI cable.