Valve May Be Entering the Console Market with "Steam Box"

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
If this is true, then...well, not a bad move, Valve. Not a bad move at all. I think. But what do i know, eh...
Still, I it really seems interesting. Looking forward to more news on this subject.

blurredplacebo

something should go in here
Jan 25, 2010
Being the valve fanboy I am I'd get one but who thinks it may be a smart TV app or similar?

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I dunno. As much as the PC fanboys can complain sometimes about it there really isn't much open space between console power and PC power that it would warrant another whole purchase of a system to fit into that small niche for most gamers.

But really wouldn't it be the same as the next console generation when it does come out? I mean to have specs in a console that could surpass the 360 and PS3 I could see happening from Valve easily but what about when the next generation comes out? If it has specs even stronger than those then it'll be way more expensive which is one of the biggest turn offs of PCs in the first place.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Foolproof said:
WMDogma said:
Another rumor floating around is that Valve isn't intending to build and launch this console on its own, and may be looking for partners to help get its console off the ground.
Because, you know, that worked so freaking well when the 3DO and the CDi did it.
Can't compare the two.

3DO had nowhere near the resources of Valve. Plus, Steam would have a library of over 2,000 games at launch.

The Commodore 64 would be a little more apt of a comparison, but really, nothing has been done that's quite comparable to this.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
This sounds like a good idea to me. It will either be outstanding or a complete flop in my eyes though. I will be watching this.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Sounds like great news. Since it's a spec, we'll be able to tinker a system together like we PC users do.

I guess they have Microsoft on-board. If they plan on moving away from a proper windows platform, I think they'll have some push-back from the aging giant. What with all that talk about open platforms, I mean.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
I think that Valve may have the foundation for a good console and that's 3rd party support as they still have the trust of many developers. If they could make hardware that's easily accessible that developers would not choke on development cost but powerful enough to satisfy the graphic whores then this may be the new king of consoles once it comes out.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
So does this mean they're not going to make games for the Wii U like they said they were intereseted in doing?
NO, seriously, I'm certain they said that at one point. I guess my memory must be a bit cloudy because they wouldn't say this if they had their own console and thus decided to make all their games exclusive for it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Did anyone happen to see a Steam Box around here? No?

I believe its opening line-up is Half Life 3 as well...
Well, if that did happen, could you imagine the fan response?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Did anyone happen to see a Steam Box around here? No?

I believe its opening line-up is Half Life 3 as well...
You fool! Now we'll never get this thing!

OT: Seeing as how I don't have a couch or 360 gamepad at my PC (fixing the latter soon), this might be pretty viable for my current and future library of console-y Steam games.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Jailbird408 said:
So does this mean they're not going to make games for the Wii U like they said they were intereseted in doing?
NO, seriously, I'm certain they said that at one point. I guess my memory must be a bit cloudy because they wouldn't say this if they had their own console and thus decided to make all their games exclusive for it.
Naw, Valve is moving as much as they can toward platform agnosticism. This isn't a push to drop a new, exclusive console onto the market as much as it is to get a hardware standard in place for the living room.

No one has ever really tried anything like that before. The article I read that compared it to being the Android to Apple's "Apple TV" project was on the right track. I'm sure this is much more focused on games, but Apple has a very recent history of accidentally making de facto game platforms that are both ubiquitous and extremely flawed. I think that's part of the concern here.

Gplars

Dec 23, 2009
i don't know how to feel about this i love valve but getting into the console market at the point where in all honesty will only have one or 2 iterations left is a bit strange as well as it will be competing with the wii u and xbox720 and what ever sonny comes up with

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
This could be interesting, even though I still prefer mouse and keyboard control. Especially since the genre I play the most are RTS games.

broadbandaddict

Jun 12, 2010
I wouldn't buy one but I know I'm not the consumer they are looking at. How big is this thing supposed to be anyways? If it is going to upgradeable by the end user than it is gonna need to be full size components so at least MicroATX sized which is not small. I'm guessing they are gonna put shitty laptop hardware in it anyways which is another no-no for me. Also how much is an i7, 8GB of RAM and a high end GPU (especially Nvidia) gonna cost? Plus if they go the laptop route you will get slower hardware at higher prices.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Once again, Valve pursues the opposite of what players want. You want Half Life 3? Here's a cloud-only console instead. I know you already have Steam on your PC and could hook your comp up to a TV any time, and most of our games are on other consoles already, but we know you need this. Trust us, you'll buy it. We're VALVE!

Seriouusly, the only reason Steam even exists is because of the section of gamers that believes PC is best. By doing this, they will alienate them.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
It's called a Sauna, not a Steam box.

BA-DUH-PISHHH!

Ahh...that was lame.

OT: I can't see Valve getting into the console market. I recognize they're innovative with their games and stuff, and that can be reflected on their console. But uhh...I kinda don't want to see that happen. I'm not entirely sure why. I guess one reason is because I'd have yet another console to buy along with its games.
I have a Nintendo console for silly, kid-like games. And Zelda.
I have a PS3 for everything else.
I might get a Xbox someday.
And then this...? I can connect so many systems to my TV before it explodes, you know.