Valve Reveals Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Launch Date

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Valve Reveals Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Launch Date

Sequel to Valve's classic tactical shooter to deploy on multiple platforms.

Put on your Kevlar vest and ready a few flash bangs, as Valve has announced that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will launch this summer on August 21st.

Developed with Hidden Path Entertainment, the team behind Defense Grid: The Awakening, Valve's newest tactical-shooter will be available for the PC and Mac via Steam, as well as XBLA and the PlayStation Network. CS:GO will cost a mere $15 USD on all platforms.

CS:GO promises a host of new maps, weapons, and characters, as well as updated versions of classic Counter-Strike maps such as the classic CS map de_dust [http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Dust]. CS:GO will also introduce several new gameplay modes, leaderboards, and matchmaking services.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Wrong game Valve.Please try again dialing 3 this time

OT:15 dollars?I know steam brings them a lot of green but isn't that a bit cheap?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Nice to see Valve saying *something* about a game this year. DotA 2's been delayed so often they don't even have a release date for it yet, and the less said about HL3 the better.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Dirzzit said:
Wasn't this already launched in 2003?
That was Counter Strike: Source, a Source engine rebiuld of the original Counter Strike.

In other words, pretty much the same game, except with a few expansions, up to date graphics and a new physics engine.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
bafrali said:

OT:15 dollars?I know steam brings them a lot of green but isn't that a bit cheap?

Not really since its just a situational shooter. Plus looking at how Valve is trending with micro transactions they will sell this for cheap then nickle and dime us for additional content and rake in a fortune.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
That's pretty cheap. Might have to try this one for nostalgia's sake. My first online shooter was the original CS like... 12 years ago. XD

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
porpoise hork said:
bafrali said:

Not really since its just a situational shooter. Plus looking at how Valve is trending with micro transactions they will sell this for cheap then nickle and dime us for additional content and rake in a fortune.
I don't think they are gonna sell maps or something like that.Bu i anticipate lots of hats

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I personally feel the problem with this remake of CouterStrike is that it is a remake of CounterStrike.

May i suggest you think carefully before replying.

Capatcha: Red Tape. Irony.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
bafrali said:
It's Counter-Strike. It'll sell 2 million+ copies day one, especially at that price. It's been out of the press for years, but 1.6 and Source both still have tons and tons of players.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Been playing the beta for a few days now. Seems faster than CS:S. A bit like TF2 while maintaining the precision and feel of CS.

I also have a spare beta invite.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
For $15 it's a steal. Don't forget that Counter Strike has one of the biggest modding communities. For $15 you get a game that you will be playing for a decade with god knows how many community mods and constant Valve support.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Is it still cross platform?
E3 aint over yet so still holding out hope for HL3
wonder if there will be some kinda Easter egg in CS:GO about it hmmmm

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Well, of course they're going to elicit even more fanrage for this not being HL3, but I honestly don't see any problems with this release. There are still Counterstrike Fans out there, I'm sure, and hey if you haven't gotten quite enough gritty realistic war shooters in the last five years, then $15 isn't much to pay for a new experience.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Omega500 said:
Is it still cross platform?
E3 aint over yet so still holding out hope for HL3
wonder if there will be some kinda Easter egg in CS:GO about it hmmmm
Nope. They ditched cross-platform play because they realized it would complicate the whole constant free update model they like so much.
And as for HL3, I wouldn't hold my breath...

TheSear

Oct 3, 2008
Yay CS:GO, got into the beta the other day and I love it :) so I very much look forward to the full release :)

tobuji

Jan 21, 2011
freaking sweet. if it's announced for august 21st, then it'll only be delayed until spring 2013!

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Been playing beta for quite a while and it's incredible. The place where it really shines is how the weapons handle and the balance between them.

Every weapon has it's use and unlike how cs and cs:s devolve into a m16/ak/awp/deagle fest, csgo manages to make every weapon have it's use and reward those who rely on cheaper costing weapons.

I can understand how some people are quick to assume it's the same old cs game but after playing it for so long and how much it's improved off of the previous main counterstrike games, I can't go back to the classics. I encourage people to pick up a beta pass to see why. Get a few friends on board, adjust yourself to the weapon changes (the returning weapons handle and fire differently) and have a blast.