Valve Reveals the Steam Controller

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Whatislove said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Also, how are 2d/16-bit style platformers supposed to work without an actual physical d-pad? You're not going to suggest that gamers actually use the touchscreen for four-way movement?
You can program either of the trackpads to be a D-pad and using their new haptic feedback technology it will give the same feedback as a regular D-pad.

I'm not claiming to know exactly how this thing works but you are totally ignoring everything valve is explaining about the controller in favour of comparing it to a laptop trackpad.
Sorry, but viration is not the same feedback. When I press left or right on the d-pad, I can feel the exact shape and layout of the button under my fingers, I can gauge its sponginess, how far inwards it is pressed. No amount of 'haptic feedback' will offer that same kind of response.
Haptic systems often function through audio or electrostatic vibration as a medium of transferring energy, but can simulate the experience of both resistance and friction as of generation 3. Based on the claims Valve is making I would guess they are using either generation 3 or 4, more than likely 4th generation based on the claims of force sensitivity.

Haptic feedback is not simply "rumble", hasn't been since the first generation.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When Nintendo showed off the Wiimote in action, it made sense. It still had regular button inputs where you expect them, it still had an analogue stick for movement and a d-pad where you expect them. The Gamepad is a regular controller with a touchscreen.

This thing is indecision manifested in a controller. It has neither the full range of control of KB+M (a trackpad is not a valid alternative for a mouse), nor does it have the full range of control that a console pad has for things like fighting games, platformers and the like. It's trying to be both, and it has none of the benefits of either.
I understand doubting it's capabilities to completely replace a full keyboard (just not enough buttons), but without using the controller for yourself, I don't think you are in the best position to declare it terrible. Everyone gave Nintendo shit about adding the analogue stick to a console controller, and now it's not only an industry standard but most companies went further and added two sticks. If Valve has made advances with haptic feedback, then trackpads like these may become the new industry standard.

On the other hand they may turn out to be shit, we won't know until we get our hands on them. In either case, you personally have no idea what they are really bringing to the table, so your confidence in declaring it shit at first glance seems rather foolish to most of the people in this thread.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Games industry, stop trying to innovate controllers. Sony gave us two thumbs ticks and the only real innovation anyone wanted after that was weather the placement was better on PS or Xbox. Nobody wants them gone. And stop making our consoles emulate phones, its the worst way to play a game and it always will, we humans have nerves in our fingers for a reason, so we can feel things and have those things give us feedback.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
lacktheknack said:
Different-than-normal controller components? It worked when Nintendo did it.
Because Nintendo didn't forget the basic like having analogue sticks, d-pads, and buttons within easy reach of the thumbs.

You can reach eight different buttons/triggers with your fingers.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

READ.
And guess what? I don't have eight fingers to press those buttons with. Standard controller design means that I can have four fingers resting on the triggers/bumpers, have my right thumb near the face buttons, and any of those commands are not only readily accessible, they can be used in combination with any other button. Four fingers, a thumb, Over eight methods of input covered.

...?

...???

...?!?!?!!?!?!?
When I'm holding a controller, I need to use at least my third and fourth finger on each hand to actually hold the thing stable. If all my fingers are resting on buttons, then that means the weight of the controller is also resting on those buttons.

Well, thank goodness you don't need to hover over EVERY button at all times, then!

Also, I can support a controller with just my pinkies. I'm not sure why you need so much support.

Thought exercise: how would a fighting game work on this controller? Would my fingers have to be tap-dancing over the different triggers in order to pull of Hadoukens? How would I pull off a Stinger in Devil May Cry with those trackpads?

side trigger = heavy
rear button = medium
front bumper = heavy

left = punch
right = kick

second bumpers = EX and grapple

secondary front button = taunt

Wasn't hard.
No. Hack and slash gameplay doesn't work with triggers or bumpers. Slower-paced games like Dark Souls get away with it, bit not fast paced games like DMC. The right thumb is an intrinsically better method of input, as you're able to co-ordinate attacks using that one thumb making small movements from face button to face button.

Pulling off an extended combo with the right thumbstick and face buttons is easy, because you're moving one finger from X to Y to X to Y to B to A to B to A. The timing is more precise, as it is being dictated by one appendage. Co-ordinating five different fingers to try and input the different combat moves using very specific timing is a logistical nightmare. There's a reason games like DMC never took off on the keyoard, despite the wealth of buttons available. One thumb + face buttons is far easier for the brain to keep track of during high speed button inputs than five fingers all on separate buttons.

Sorry, I was caught up with "Hadouken" and explained how a fighting game would work.

Also, every statement of multiple buttons being a "logistical nightmare" is hyperbole at best, and outright wrong at worst. I play Street Fighter on a keyboard, and it's easy (unless you play Zangief).

That said, why CAN'T speed-combo heavy games work on the PC? In these games, thumbstick precision isn't a major issue, so boom - you have two buttons in the trackpads at use again. Add in the bumpers and you should be entirely fine.

wat

Um

Two bumpers for index fingers, middle finger stabilizing (can be moved to rear buttons), index/pinkie on trigger, remaining finger for permanent stablization.

How many fingers do YOU have? Four?
It takes more than the pinkie on each hand to hold a controller stable. You need your third and fourth fingers holding things steady, otherwise the controller will just pivot over your pinkies.

Uh. Not when I use them.

Also, middle-finger stabilization. You're not going to need to press those buttons all the time.

You said there were eight buttons within easy reach of the fingers. I hope you weren't meaning that the clickable trackpads counted. Because having the same point on the trackpad count as both analogue left/right/up/down and as an input button is asking for trouble. Analogue sticks have functions that can be clicked even when sat in neutral. What happens if you click the left part of the trackpad, but the controller instead recognises it as you wanting to move your character left?
...WHY DID YOU NOT READ THE PAGE?

It said "half of [the sixteen buttons] are accessible to the player without lifting the thumbs from the thumbpad, including two buttons on the back".

Four bumpers, two rear buttons, two triggers.

I've only said this TWICE before...

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I have large hands with large fingers to match. I foresee some issues with this controller when it registers that I'm touching the pads in more than one place at once.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Hrm, considering I only ever use my index fingers to access the bumpers and triggers on ps3/xbox controllers, I don't see a problem with this controllers layout. The trackpads are the biggest concern, but untested tech is untested and I will therefore reserve judgment. All in all, an interesting design using interesting tech, only time will tell if it pans out.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they're playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.
I'd be surprised to learn that this wasn't an intentional shot at the Wii U on top of simply being a smart design decision. Speaking of which, possibly the most enjoyable part of reading Valve's blurb was imagining the gigantic smirks on all its employees' faces when Sony and Microsoft were so proudly unveiling their "revolutionary" next-gen controllers.

Really, the only complaint I can make (apart from the aforementioned issue of not being able to press A or B/X or Y and use the right/left touchpad at the same time, respectively) is that I restrained myself from buying a 360 gamepad up until only four months ago. Though I guess even that will continue to see some limited use in the case of a few games like Super Meat Boy that were specifically designed for use with it, or thumbsticks in general. Regardless, I think Valve may have just knocked this whole Steam-in-the-living-room endeavor out of the park, especially if they also sell these controllers separately from the Steam Machines (which they'd be fools not to) so that people who are content with their living room PC setup can use them without having to buy a Steam Machine.

EDIT: Aaaaand nevermind the supposed drawbacks I mentioned; this blog post [http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller] explains it all. I officially can't wait for this thing.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Valve has clearly put a lot of work and tech into this thing trying to have the benefits of analog sticks and a mouse.

Not to be cynical, but it looks to me like all they have there are really expensive analog sticks. I seriously doubt this Steam controller will be any more useful than a 360 controller.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When Nintendo showed off the Wiimote in action, it made sense. It still had regular button inputs where you expect them, it still had an analogue stick for movement and a d-pad where you expect them.
It did?

Tell me: which inexplicable, superfluous extra thumb must one have to be able to reach those +, -, and Home buttons[footnote]Not even going to bother pointing out how incredibly stupid the 1 and 2 buttons are.[/footnote] without feeling painfully awkward?

The Gamepad is a regular controller with a touchscreen.
You mean this one? The one that I totally don't have to move my entire hand over to use?

Yeah, sorry... No matter how unorthodox this Steam controller looks, it's still a sight better looking than that brick-y monstrosity.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
It looks horrible and all the buttons are in the wrong place..... try to play Batman AA or AC with it.....

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Trackpads should be interesting to emulate mouselook in fps games faster than thumbsticks.
You should be about as precise as with a trackball once you're used to it which is way better than a thumbstick but I'm not sure if you can rival kb+m with that.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
It ahhhh... Okay,I can't play the devil's advocate on this one. VALVe, that is undoubtedly one of the ugliest designs in console history. And that's a pretty ugly history.
I really expected more but when you are gonna try to push a keyboard on to a controller I guess it is gonna look a bit freaky

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Simalacrum said:
So? pray tell, WHERE are these 16 buttons? Cause I only count 8 at most?
Seems like the shoulder buttons as well as the trackpads count as a button and the touchscreen counts as 4.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
It looks horrible and all the buttons are in the wrong place..... try to play Batman AA or AC with it.....
I'd be more than surprised if they've not already done in house testing on both those games. Seriously everyone is jumping on the "omg different, must suck" bandwagon way to fast. Can we at least reserve judgement until after we get more than 3 pictures and 1 whole release article on it?