Valve Scares Up a Steam Halloween Sale

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait wait wait... you LIKED the FEAR 2 ending???
I mean, I'll give them that it was an incredibly ballsy ending to put into a game, but it was pretty silly.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Ahh! I have money in my wallet and now can afford to do fun stuff with friends. Life is good.

*sees Steam Sale*

... ... ...Ahhh, fuck.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Oh man... anyone want to assure me that Dead Island's price will be $5 during the winter sale so I don't buy it now?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Oh great, another one of these...

Why is this so difficult, when it is so fundamental? The idea you dont own a video game is WRONG. The provision people pull up refers to taking a game, altering it, claiming the altered work based on the original work as your own. Sort of like lets say, using a dev tool kit from say bioware or bethesda, creating a full fledged content mod of that base game, say dragon age and repackaging that content mod as a full product of your own design.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the inherent ability to use the purchased product as one wishes. That is why this thinking is and has and will always be incorrect.

As for the base pricing. Look for yourself.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218640/
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lucius

This is far from the only example. Just an easy one to illustrate.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

CriticKitten said:
Expect many games in your PC-playing future to be filled with similar design choices built into the game purely to restrict or shut off your access at their whim. It *will* happen.

So....unless you intend to never buy a video game again, expect to see more and more of it as time goes on. It doesn't really make sense to ***** about one of the few decent DRM-filled services when there are certainly far worse hands you'll likely have to place your faith in for future AAA titles.
This is exactly why this is happening. Not because of it being the right thing.. because people for some insane reason are accepting it as a reason.

Psst, heres a little hint, If people stop buying games that have these problems, game publishers will have to relent under that pressure. Saying it WILL happen is wrong, because at this point we as consumers still hold the power to stop this customer abuse. It makes every reason to ***** about it, because the naive are what is allowing this to happen, and not saying anything is just as damaging. Thats why. When we see a diablo add always online required for single player be rewarded by massive sales instead of completely boycotted, you are allowing something blatantly wrong to occur because it tells all developers, despite it being a feature people have no reason to want, it will still sell.

Im sorry, but this type of thinking is not only incorrect, it is hurting all gamers, because it is ignoring fundamentals that were established long before video gaming came into the picture.

And it must be said again and again and again, until people stop hurting others with their neglectful approach that allows corporate interest to override individual freedom and protection. As long as it continues it cannot stop because they will not stop.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
viranimus said:
Such a shame. Sale prices based on overpriced base prices, forfeiture of rights, intrinsically less value due to not actually owning anything other than a useless license that can be revoked with or without reason, inherently less value by virtue of being a license.

Steam has rendered its sales useless.

All the potential good brought by sales, cannot counter all the damage done.
Well aren't you sophisticated; you're so cool and informed.

OT: Got Fallout 3 finally.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
viranimus said:
Such a shame. Sale prices based on overpriced base prices, forfeiture of rights, intrinsically less value due to not actually owning anything other than a useless license that can be revoked with or without reason, inherently less value by virtue of being a license.

Steam has rendered its sales useless.

All the potential good brought by sales, cannot counter all the damage done.
In you and a few others, yes.

Some of us aren't completely paranoid that corporations that require our business aren't out to steal all our things. WE'RE the ones that keep the sales strong.

If you actually think attention being brought to a years-old TOS section is going to topple the power of the Steam sale, you're six or seven different kinds of naive.

If you're talking entirely personally, then... yay for you?

Superlative

May 14, 2012
Macgyvercas said:
Ahh! I have money in my wallet and now can afford to do fun stuff with friends. Life is good.

*sees Steam Sale*

... ... ...Ahhh, fuck.
ah well, its better to spend money on steam then on stupid things like food, school, and medicine. i mean seriously, after you buy farm sim 18 for 35 cents you will have enough sorghum and strawberries to feed an army and a degree in agriculture to boot. assuming you play on hard mode.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Overpriced base prices? Hint: The publishers are the only ones who get to set those. Same with the sale prices by the way (as if Valve could slash or raise prices on products that aren't theirs...)
then i guess its handy that all most all that over priced crap the major publishers turn out is less interesting then to me then watching grass grow.

OT: i heard, i got They Bleed Pixels. it has been .... unkind to me .... to put it mildly, but I'm enjoying it more then super meat boy, if only due to the main character being more interesting

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
viranimus said:
And it must be said again and again and again, until people stop hurting others with their neglectful approach that allows corporate interest to override individual freedom and protection. As long as it continues it cannot stop because they will not stop.
Welcome to capitalist corporate America. You are fighting an uphill battle on this. No matter how many times individuals such as yourself go on rant trying to quantify all the reasons that make the modern game ELUA agreement bad for gamers the less anyone actually cares especially the publishers' lawyers who draft the up the agreements.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I've been waiting for Vampire: Bloodlines to be in the weekend sale, then I saw a tweet that there's a Halloween sale. Vampires are Halloweeny. Got it for £4. yey.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm kind of sad that Condemned costs more than Dead Space 2. I have both games but I always try to spread Condemned around to as many people as possible. Because that game is in my top 5. It's great. EVERYONE GO PLAY IT.