Valve Trademarks Half-Life 3 in Europe

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Well let's be honest if they make HL3 SteamOS exclusive and launch both simultaneously that shit will hit the mother load of fans and then all the fans will buy up every damn SteamBox they can get... it's evil genius really.
That is how Steam took off in the first place, it would be quite fitting to continue that sneaky tradition.

And for once I'd actually prefer waiting to play the game.
Highly doubtful it would be a SteamOS exclusive. The OS is free and they won't be making money off Steam Machines (unless they do bring out their own, and then they wont be making much if they want it to compete with consoles), so there is no benefit for them to do this. Now a Steam + SteamOS exclusive on the other hand would make Steam Machines a more attractive prospect to console gamers and get them into the Steam ecosystem where Valve will get their hooks into them and make piles of money!

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
I am not letting myself feel an ounce of excitement or happiness at this news. The only HL3 news that would get me hyped would be an official announcement from valve. None of this guessing bullocks, no more freakin ARGs, just Gabe Newell on my computer screen, holding up a disc and saying "Half Life 3 is coming".

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Does anyone else find it odd that it was not registered by Valve's Legal team, but by a 3rd party on behalf of Valve?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Baldr said:
Does anyone else find it odd that it was not registered by Valve's Legal team, but by a 3rd party on behalf of Valve?
A 3rd party you say?

Oh they are such teases, they obviously did that on purpose.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
WAT.

It might be nothing, but... the HL fanboy in me is squeeing like a little girl.
I'm past being excited anytime I read HL related news. It never turns out to be true, and until I hear something from Valve, I'll hold my squees.

Also, I wanted to post a reply video to yours, but I can't find it. I have horrible luck finding any particular Simpsons clip on Youtube - but it's the one where Barney is trying to stay sober because he's the designated driver. Music starts playing and Barney starts screaming, "NOT TONIGHT! NOT TONIGHT!" as Duffman busts into Moe's. So... yeah, picture that here.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm convinced Valve just likes trolling the fans by this point. Instead of actually just telling us anything, they'd rather let us imagine if the Schrodinger's Game that is Episode 3 actually does or does not exist.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The elders talk of a unknown form stirring in the Void of Unknowing yet again. They have seen such stirrings before, but they say that this may be a greater sign; a sign that the holy Third Interlude is drawing closer to the surface. By how much they cannot say.

The elders have predicted before, but their words brought forth nothing. Their last premonitions have instead heralded the coming of Machines of Vapor, meant to distribute the holiness of the Golden Faucet into more convenient locations. We have yet to know of their fruitfulness.

But perhaps this time things will be different. Shall we be given the bounty of the Golden Faucet and the meaty god at its helm? Is the arrival of the Third Interlude close at hand?

The elders watch with interest...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sgt. Sykes said:
Weeeeell I don't know. Now that the Portal creator is gone, can they still pull a self-coherent, complete game and not an unfinished mess slapped together, also known as HL2?

Okay I won't rant, sorry. I'm surprised they trademarked HL3 though. First, they already own Half-Life TM, so I see no reason for it. Second, nobody else thought of trademarking it?
I question how many "unfinished, slapped together mess"'s you've played if you consider Half Life 2 an example of one. Because I know that I'd be far more prone to think of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit as one, or Knights of the Old Republic 2. You know, games where things just start falling apart in the last few sections.

Half Life 2 ends on a cliffhanger. There's a difference.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Why would they even bother? Just to ensure they can shut down any fan-projects or whatever that might infringe upon the name?
I mean, sure, perhaps they plan to release it as a SteamBox launch title, but I doubt it. So I'm guessing this is more about enforcing exclusivity to the name than actually doing anything with it.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Okay I won't rant, sorry. I'm surprised they trademarked HL3 though. First, they already own Half-Life TM, so I see no reason for it. Second, nobody else thought of trademarking it?
Well the way they work here is that when you trademark it you have to within a pretty short amount of time prove that you're actually doing it... So within half a year we are either gonna see an announcement or they will loose it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This is why I have yet to play Half Life 2, because I hear it ends on a cliff hanger and I would be annoyed at the wait for this, so once it's announced, if ever, I will then play the previous one.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So whose wvillnig to be this is just more trolling? especially since it was registered by third party.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
And the hype bandwagon is taking off.

I am legitimately interested on whether or not this will turn into the greatest thing ever.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
yeh im thinking this is just more trolling. Im really hoping its not. But at this point i dont think anyone is holding any hope.

BUT if it were to be true and it does come out. Im play HALF-LIFE 1, HALF-LIFE:OPPOSING FORCE, HALF-LIFE: BLUE SHIFT. HALF-LIFE 2, HALF-LIFE 2:EPISODE 1 & 2 then........... lol maybe half-life 3 ?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Say it with me now:

Duke Nukem Forever.

Ten years, huh? That pretty well qualifies as a game that will never come and will be a crappy disappointment if it does.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
This has gotten way less hype than I thought.

I wonder just how big of a shitstorm will start when it comes out and inevitably doesn't live up to everyone's expectations.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
templar1138a said:
Say it with me now:

Duke Nukem Forever.

Ten years, huh? That pretty well qualifies as a game that will never come and will be a crappy disappointment if it does.
The 2 games aren't even remotely similar in development.

Duke Nukem was announced 14 years before it was released, and even had screenshots, gameplay footage and teaser trailers back then.

To this day, Half Life 3 has not been announced. It's existence before this Trademark story was pure speculation by the community.

rednightmare

Apr 17, 2009
I'm calling trolling on this one. Seems like the thing Valve would do honestly. Yeah, I know it would cost them money, but don't you think Gabe would consider it money well spent?