Valve Unfazed by PS3 Hacks

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
DominicxD said:
Couldn't you buy Portal 2 on the PS3, download the fee PC version, then return the PS3 version for a full refund?
My thought is that Valve may have that system set up much as they do with the PC-Mac switch overs; one copy available for play at one time, but multiple ways to play the game.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Too bad the recent hack doesn't actually help you apply cracks or patches to the games. And that the MW2 type hacks existed before the ps3 hacks.

The last part is easily possible to check for anyone. ..Other than that, I would explain why this is true technically - but I don't think anyone will hear it over the constant repeating of the idiot myths.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
dead_rebel said:
XBox got hacked years ago. Wonder how they got away without this much publicity.
First: Xbox wasn't dubbed the unhackable system.
Second: It was years ago. If they released a report saying, "Hacking Still an Issue With Xbox" no one would care because it is old news. Give it until November (very liberal guess) and by then no one will care that the PS3 is still hacked except for one story every other month saying a new update confused some hackers but they've broken it already.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
dead_rebel said:
XBox got hacked years ago. Wonder how they got away without this much publicity.
..well.. they didn't have:
1. MS folks running around looking like they were caught with their pants down
2. "Hackers" seeking publicity (for good or bad reasons).
3. The hack turning up as a direct result of the company's incompetence and customer-hostile stupidity.

..anyway - the ps3 hack doesn't work in the same way as the jig, or give you nearly the same amount of access. The latest news doesn't change that. So any developer suddenly finding out that their game is getting cracked yesterday.. they're just using this as an excuse.

Which I hope more people will do, because the Sony folks truly deserve everything they get, imo..

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
KEM10 said:
dead_rebel said:
Second: It was years ago. If they released a report saying, "Hacking Still an Issue With Xbox" no one would care because it is old news. Give it until November (very liberal guess) and by then no one will care that the PS3 is still hacked except for one story every other month saying a new update confused some hackers but they've broken it already.
..no. What it comes down to is that no one covering this has any kind of idea what actually happens. So they, like you, simply base themselves on myths they believe to be true.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Every Valve game has been cracked long time ago. Its just that their games are so good, they offer so much additional content (free mods, editors etc.), and the distributing platform is so good (steam) that people will prefer to buy them and so piracy for Valve, and their sales, is irrelevant.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Guhungus said:
The other benefit with steamworks is cross platform multiplayer and co op. I have friends who have ps3's and love valve games but don't have the same time or technical know how to build a pc, so steamworks will help wonders with us playing the games we love to play, but couldn't play together until now.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
dead_rebel said:
..no. What it comes down to is that no one covering this has any kind of idea what actually happens. So they, like you, simply base themselves on myths they believe to be true.
Where in my post am I making grand assumptions based on myth? Was the PS3 not called the unhackable system? Is the Xbox hacking/modding community not old news? Do we not see a story about a single update that might prevent some pirating every two months but ends up being to no avail?

Please tell me, I am curious.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
KEM10 said:
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
dead_rebel said:
Where in my post am I making grand assumptions based on myth? Was the PS3 not called the unhackable system? Is the Xbox hacking/modding community not old news? Do we not see a story about a single update that might prevent some pirating every two months but ends up being to no avail?

Sure... You're assuming that a "hack" is the same on a windows-system as any other system. That it's absolute, security on or off. And that it automatically involves an easy way to apply patches in completely unrestricted ways. So you suggest that it's not going to be an issue once everyone just settles down and accepts that the system is broken. Apparently you're also taking Geohot's comments to support the idea that the system is now wide open.

It's much more complicated than that, and actually worming your way into the ps3 based on low-level code is not practicable. It will probably never happen that someone manage to write their own sub-routines. Instead it's going to be high-level hacks based on other high-level code, such as the leaked sdk.

Meanwhile, the reason why there's any controversy at all over this is partially because:
1. the hack doesn't actually allow either piracy or individual patches to specific games. It's very difficult to circumvent just the platform security encryption (..even if it's doable, it's not practical. "Practical" meaning: "possible to do without a large development studio and tools you don't have access to in even a very well-equipped basement, etc". It's not an easy target).

...and because
2. Sony is having a hissy-fit because someone made them believe they had stolen all their toys, and hoisted them up on a flag-pole.. that is so high you can't see the top. And Sony is now basically calling in their parents to outlaw flagpoles, as well as thieves and annoying people in general that are "stupid". They also have PR dudes that like to talk as if they know everything.

Meanwhile, the jig (on the xbox360) does make the system wide open, and completely exposed. And it is, like you say, not news because there's no drama around it. The drama and the fallout from the ps3 hack is all completely self-inflicted by Sony imps, though. So I hope they're really going to be punched around for a long time.

But speaking about the actual hack, and in terms of the mechanisms on the platform (and other things Sony folks don't know what is), the "hack" isn't actually breaking the system wide open. In practical terms it never did.

One example of that is the MW2 hacks - they existed before the ps3 hack turned up. Which of course doesn't stop IW folks from blaming the hacks on Ps3 platform security. While suddenly "platform security" becomes something that has to be asked of every developer.

And you get articles like the above, where publishers are asked in leading terms about something they don't know enough about. While the ones asking the questions know even less. Until it's all repeated until it's true on the internet.

Welcome to "new media", I guess..

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
I see it now "PlayStation developers using Steamworks to protect games." I have no ill will towards Valve, I like them a lot, but for the love of god someone stop them before they take over the world!

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
dead_rebel said:

Sure... You're assuming that a "hack" is the same on a windows-system as any other system. That it's absolute, security on or off. And that it automatically involves an easy way to apply patches in completely unrestricted ways. So you suggest that it's not going to be an issue once everyone just settles down and accepts that the system is broken. Apparently you're also taking Geohot's comments to support the idea that the system is now wide open.

It's much more complicated than that, and actually worming your way into the ps3 based on low-level code is not practicable. It will probably never happen that someone manage to write their own sub-routines. Instead it's going to be high-level hacks based on other high-level code, such as the leaked sdk.

Meanwhile, the reason why there's any controversy at all over this is partially because:
1. the hack doesn't actually allow either piracy or individual patches to specific games. It's very difficult to circumvent just the platform security encryption (..even if it's doable, it's not practical. "Practical" meaning: "possible to do without a large development studio and tools you don't have access to in even a very well-equipped basement, etc". It's not an easy target).

...and because
2. Sony is having a hissy-fit because someone made them believe they had stolen all their toys, and hoisted them up on a flag-pole.. that is so high you can't see the top. And Sony is now basically calling in their parents to outlaw flagpoles, as well as thieves and annoying people in general that are "stupid". They also have PR dudes that like to talk as if they know everything.

Meanwhile, the jig (on the xbox360) does make the system wide open, and completely exposed. And it is, like you say, not news because there's no drama around it. The drama and the fallout from the ps3 hack is all completely self-inflicted by Sony imps, though. So I hope they're really going to be punched around for a long time.

But speaking about the actual hack, and in terms of the mechanisms on the platform (and other things Sony folks don't know what is), the "hack" isn't actually breaking the system wide open. In practical terms it never did.

One example of that is the MW2 hacks - they existed before the ps3 hack turned up. Which of course doesn't stop IW folks from blaming the hacks on Ps3 platform security. While suddenly "platform security" becomes something that has to be asked of every developer.

And you get articles like the above, where publishers are asked in leading terms about something they don't know enough about. While the ones asking the questions know even less. Until it's all repeated until it's true on the internet.

That was actually rather informative, thank you.
And, ya. "New media"

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Jesus christ, the Escapist... Don't put Valve's logo on the main page for negligible news... I almost got a heart attack :D

White_Hawk

Oct 22, 2010
YAY hopfully valve will stop the annoying plight of hakkers for at least a small time on portal 2.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
nipsen said:
KEM10 said:
dead_rebel said:

...and because

It does seem that this whole situation is being blown way out of proportion by people who know little to nothing about what they're talking about. It's not all that surprising when you think about it. The media actually has a long history of this kind of thing. Making big things out of things that are not big.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Is anyone fazed by the PS3 hacks?

It won't stop people from developing for the console. It hasn't stopped them on the Xbox, that's for sure.