Valve Wants to Bring Back Paid Mods

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
http://www.moddb.com/games/skyrim/news/valves-gabe-newell-would-like-to-see-paid-mods-return#comments

The degree to which Valve helps contribute to efficiency in the system is one of the ways in which we're adding value to the system as a whole. So, you know, we have to just figure out how to do it in a way that makes customers happy and that they buy into it, it makes creators happy because they feel like the system is rational and is rewarding the right people for the work that they do. Does that make sense?

-Gabe Newell
Because Valve has such a great track record [https://steamcommunity.com/greenlight] for this sort of thing, amirite?

Remember when Valve made games instead of shitty, divisive money-grabbing schemes?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Valve wants money. Not only that, but they want more money for doing nothing. They are going to be the first company to make a trillion dollars without actually having to do anything.

Valve is good.

Be like Valve.

Req

May 18, 2012
So good to see that Valve is dedicated to their new business model: charge more, deliver less.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Really, if Valve is so dead-set on monetizing mods, they should keep doing what they've already been doing with their own games, namely letting players create items to put on the Steam Workshop.

But that would require effort and possibly releasing Half-Life 3, so of course they're not gonna do that.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Because this went so fucking well the last time. /sarcasm

What would be so hard for modders about linking their Patreon or some shit in all of their mods' pages? We can support them through those kinds of means, if we decide they deserve it.

Valve shouldn't get a penny from paid mods. That's just bullshit.

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
I think their mindset is more like "If we don't do it first, someone else will"
But it would suck if it become reality.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Amigastar said:
I think their mindset is more like "If we don't do it first, someone else will"
But it would suck if it become reality.
Well, they tried, and all we know how that ended.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
If Valve gave the modder the 75% and split the rest between them and the devs I wouldnt mind. instead they take the 75% and leave the person who put in all the work with the 25%. And even then only give them the 25% when they earn over $100, per $100. So they can screw off with their greed.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Anyone getting the feeling Valve isn't quite the same holy architect of PC gaming we put in on a titanic sized pedestal? Cause I kinda get that feeling when things like this happen

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I lost faith in valve after the L4D debacle. Ever since then they've really gone downhill.

They are not the same company they were before. And Gabe and the others have clearly let the steam money go to their heads.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone getting the feeling Valve isn't quite the same holy architect of PC gaming we put in on a titanic sized pedestal? Cause I kinda get that feeling when things like this happen
Lol, yeah round about the time they forced us to install Steam to play Half Life 2.

The degree to which Valve helps contribute to efficiency in the system is one of the ways in which we're adding value to the system as a whole.
and fuck it why shouldn't we get paid for adding that 'efficiency' huh. What makes that statement truly comical is that Steam is possibly one of the worst ways of looking for mods.

I am willing to give Valve a chance here, by that I don't mean I think paid for mods is an idea that I think valve could make work, it isn't it's a fucking awful idea and Valve have already proven that

a). They can't make it work and
b). They have no fucking idea at all about why people mod their games (here's a hint Valve it's because they love their game not because they want a fucking pay cheque.)

No the chance I am giving Valve here is the opportunity to be honest with the official press release when they try to launch this utter cluster fuck of a bad idea again. If they come straight out and say 'we have opted to introduce paid for mods again because we are a bunch of greedy money grubbing wankers who believe should be getting paid for other peoples hard work' then I will give them a big hand and much respect for at least being honest. If on the other hand they use any of the terms about doing it for the hard working modders to get paid, or how they are making things better for modders by introducing this or in fact any of the bullshit they pulled the last time they tried this then that's it Valve can kiss seeing any cash from me again goodbye because really right here and right now I am fucking sick of Valve and it's endless river of bullshit.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I have no problem with paid mods and didn't the last time. Some of the mod makers put incredible work into their creations and if they want to be compensated for it, then fair play to them. Just like with the games themselves, if I don't think the mod is going to be worth the money then I won't buy it.

The issue I had the last time is with the division of the money. What were the mod creators getting last time, 25%? Absolutely unacceptable. At an absolute bare minimum they should be getting a 40% cut with Valve and the publisher splitting the rest.

Elvis Starburst said:
I've never seen them that way and have commented many times in the past that I can't understand the "Steam or no sale" mentality that so many PC gamers have.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
They DID say that plan on looking at it again in the future. One of their shutdown messages was "we're not letting this go just yet". Here we are again.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I don't even use steam workshop for mods for most of my games. I only use it for Space Engineers. For games like Skyrim the Nexus is far better. Better search functionality, together with NMM better customizability, more mods to choose from... Why would I even want to use steam workshop?

Sep 14, 2009
Raddra said:
If Valve gave the modder the 75% and split the rest between them and the devs I wouldnt mind. instead they take the 75% and leave the person who put in all the work with the 25%. And even then only give them the 25% when they earn over $100, per $100. So they can screw off with their greed.
entirely this. and yes, people brought up the "hurr durr, devs don't get a better deal then that so why should modders"; I'm not talking about the devs, a ton of them *are* trying to get out of that by doing kickstarters/crowdfunding so they can get away from publishers, more power to them in that regard. I'd rather pay donations all day/every day than to let publishers see a single cent of my money for doing fucking nothing.

also as seen last time, mods being uploaded that were someone elses and being monetized, with it being the wild wild west style on steam (because steam support is a fucking joke) there would never be any problems there, right? (yes they tried running countermeasures to this, but I still don't think they were acceptable.)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
And I want to bring Freddie Mercury back to life, but I'm guessing both Steam and I will have to live with our respective disappointments.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I don't disagree with paid mods in theory, but they way it was implemented last time was pretty horrible. Not only did they try it on a community and game that had years of free modding history, they hamfisted it in quietly, not saying anything until launch day. They percentages modders, steam and the publisher got also all seemed pretty unfair. Not to mention, as many people have said countless times, Steam Workshop is kinda limited and lacklustre in what mods it has. Sites like ModDB or Nexus have much more choice.

I much prefer what many modders are doing now, with optional donations or patreons, than a forced storefront.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah, change the implementation, and we'll see.
As someone who used to mod quite a lot, but cannot simply find the time and bring myself to do it anymore, an extra financial incentive could get me to look into what's new in the modding scene, and try my hand at it again.