Valve Wants to Bring Back Paid Mods

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
People complain about DLC costing much.

What makes you think people will tolerate Mods behind a paywall and we don't know what mods deserves the asking price.

Like what if some asshole decides to make a mod that fixes a buggy and broken game.

Imagine things like the mods that fixes Vampire Bloodlines behind a paywall?

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Wow. What a twist.
It's not like they've thrived on charging for other peoples' work for more than a decade now.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Welp! Time to use the no-no B-word!

We're now forced to boycott Valve until they stop being so determinedly lazy with their fucking monopoly, get off their out-of-touch fat asses and COMPETE.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Cid Silverwing said:

We're now forced to boycott Valve until they stop being so determinedly lazy with their fucking monopoly, get off their out-of-touch fat asses and COMPETE.
That's the biggest problem: There's not really anyone out there that CAN compete with Steam.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Someone charged horse genitals for a hundred bucks to prove what a stupid idea that was.

The point has not faded with time.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
erttheking said:
Someone charged horse genitals for a hundred bucks to prove what a stupid idea that was.

Really!?
I know about the Horse Armor DLC kerfuffle but horse genitals?
Did it work? Did..How many bought it?
Source? For..verification..and science..of course..

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vendor-Lazarus said:
erttheking said:

Really!?
I know about the Horse Armor DLC kerfuffle but horse genitals?
Did it work? Did..How many bought it?
Source? For..verification..and science..of course..
You have to go digging a bit, but it's mentioned in this article...which also mentions the mod that gave us Gabe's testicles.

http://kotaku.com/the-most-ridiculous-skyrim-mods-people-are-trying-to-se-1700002072

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Is it really news though? I mean when they cancelled the paid mods last time they mentioned in the same breath that they're (going to be) looking for ways to implement it again in the future.

But then again reporting it is good, people should be constantly made aware so that when they decide to sneak it in again the criticism can be swift and the shutting down can happen immediately.

Gosh I'm not against modders receiving compensation for their work but I'm definitely against Valve. Did you know they said the company receiving such a large amount of the cut was "just a bug"? Man how gullible do they take us for...

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
You know, Paid Mods could work, I just don't trust Valve to be half way decent about it anymore. The whole "Modders only get 25% of the price for every hundred dollars" was fucking bullshit and if Valve didn't see it that way then fuck 'em. What's the point in supporting modders if they get shafted on the price anyway?
Combine that with the fact that Valve was going to let it be "moderated by the community" (*derisive sneer*)and that was open to the same trash Greenlight and Early Access is.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
This isn't necessarily a bad idea, so long as modders themselves are being properly compensated - and I don't just mean classic mods, but also borderline stuff like community patches - I still remember how those were the only thing that made VtM:Bloodlines playable and that game was a real gem.

That being said I don't trust Valve with any sensible implementation of this and it's just one of the many reasons why I've been buying my games on GoG given half the chance for a while now.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Cid Silverwing said:

Valve's got us all by the balls though, dude. I bet a lot of people here alone have a significant number of their owned PC games in their Steam library. That's the horror of it.

Caramel Frappe said:
And we'll just remind them how much we love that idea yet again.
So long as people aren't blindly following / accepting such flawed policies, we should be fine.

I think the real reason Valve's doing this is to see if people are blind, which ... isn't a cool thing to do. At all.
Out of curiosity, what do you think of Unreal Tournament 4's system? (game is completely and totally free with no fee2pay elements and mod authors can optionally charge for their mods, of which Epic will get a cut from)

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
CritialGaming said:
Valve wants money. Not only that, but they want more money for doing nothing. They are going to be the first company to make a trillion dollars without actually having to do anything.

Valve is good.

Be like Valve.
Well it's not entirely nothing. They are going to be the handlers for payments as well as inevitable refunds.

It's not an inherently bad idea but you are correct in that they need to work for it. The biggest problem on Steam's end was that they don't validate who owns the content so, to quote from last time, "what's to stop someone ripping a mod off Nexus and posting it to Steam?". They need to have a content control system that actually gets worked through and a way for the original authors to make sure they can validate their work. They also need to make sure that the work is original and not ripped from other games otherwise they're gonna be at the wrong end of a Cease-and-Desist.

Biggest problem for Bethesda (since it was Skyrim that started it) was that they were taking a massive cut for, like Valve, little to no work. Maybe they provide the tools and the engine but do they really deserve that much when the game engine's cost was recouped by people purchasing the full game to start with? Will they be maintaining the game with updates with this new funding strategy or will it be funding the next installment? A little transparency explaining why they wanted a cut would help.

And why after all this did the mod author end up with less? They got a 25% cut so Valve and Bethesda split 75% of the money between them? That's really supportive of them, isn't it?

I mean what needs to happen is either they give a fairer cut to the authors (either 33% each or 50% to the mod author and 25% each for Valve and publisher) and reveal how much work is on their ends (Valve/Steam and respective publisher) OR better; have the mods be free for everyone to use and use a donation system much like Valve already did with their stamp system in TF2 for community maps that made it into the game.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
This is what those with the majority of the market do. I wonder if Valve is still the sweetheart among gamers.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Meanwhile the Steam Workshop is still absolute horseshit when it comes to managing your mods. Perhaps bring out an official mod manager that is actually good to go with it?

The only place where paid mods can work or find a niche is in an MMORPG type game where they are highly regulated. Take the workshops in Planetside 2 and Everquest 2 as an example: people create aesthetic items which can then be selected to be placed in the item shop, after which the creator earns a portion of the income.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I'm alright with that. Not because the game is free to play, even if it cost money- so long as modders can optionally charge for mods- it's our choice to pay. It's also the same element as modders giving people mods for free, but have donation options up in case we'd like to support their content. It's a much healthier and less forceful system than what Valve is currently trying to do (or did in the past with Skyrim ... and let me remind you that charging $ on mods for a game that was out since 2011 is a scummy move).
I should say. If the mod authors want you to pay for their mod in UT4, you will have to pay. Just making sure there isn't a misunderstanding. Or at least that's what it sounds like currently. Epic is still thinking about how they want to set their store up.