Valve Working to Make Steam's Offline Mode Not Suck as Much

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait, there was something wrong with it? I honest to God never noticed. Aw well, ironing it out never hurt anyone.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Back when everyone was up-in-arms about Microsoft's vision of an always-online Xbox One, no-one was willing to talk about the elephant in the room: Valve's Steam.
I wish everyone would stop comparing apples to pianos.

The main difference being:
Steam is a 1.2MB free file (software)
Xbox One is a $500 severely restricted PC (hardware)

The mile long list that would follow is related to this basic difference.

As for offline mode, I've had it work for several weeks on end with no problem. Xbox One had 23 hour 59 minutes and 59 seconds as the cap.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Back when everyone was up-in-arms about Microsoft's vision of an always-online Xbox One, no-one was willing to talk about the elephant in the room: Valve's Steam.
See this:

EDITED Nov 4 2013 - holy thread necro. Looks like Kotaku decided to link to this post from six months ago, and every game blog has copy-pasted it. The "two week" timeout issue has been fixed for months now, along with several other bugs. We're still working on improvements, and you might catch them if you read the patch notes carefully, but we don't bother to post on the forums every time we fix something (maybe out of fear that it will get posted as front-page news six months later?).
Source: The thread you linked in the article. Care to update the article? This is relevant.

A look at the post dates also makes it obvious that it's an old thread.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I don't know what the problem is with offline mode... I've only used it a couple times but I've never had any problems... what is so bad about it exactly?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
... Good. Steams's 'offline' mode has burned me pretty much every time I've been in a situation where I haven't had internet access for a bit.

That is thankfully rare overall, but there have routinely been periods of a week to a few months where I have had no internet access and no way of getting online, and I can never count on steam's offline mode to work when needed.

It works 'fine' when there's no point to it. (eg, if I got into offline mode just for the hell of it), but if there's actually a situation where I can't get online, it always seems to bug out and break 80% of my games...

Apr 28, 2008
Grabehn said:
I kinda like how this "news" is based on a forum post made back in July. Quite funny how news spread this "fast".
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. That post if 4 months old and offline mode is still rather wonky for me.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Grabehn said:
I kinda like how this "news" is based on a forum post made back in July. Quite funny how news spread this "fast".
I thought it seemed like old news. Offline mode has been made to work better a few months ago. It no longer requires a successful online log-in before changing to offline mode (at least for me).

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Way to go Steve, only 5 months of news to copy paste from other sites before you catch up!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
To be fair, most of the games I play Steam with (Killing Floor, Chivalry) are predominantly Multiplayer experiences, and the Single-Player experiences (such as Skyrim, New Vegas, etc.) usually had mods that you got online, or had people you were Skyping with in the background.

The difference between a console being online and a computer being online is that a computer has basically become synonymous with the Internet. However, consoles are known for being compatible with any TV anywhere (disregarding the current movement toward HDTVs), regardless of Internet connection or not. Sure, the most popular games on them are Multiplayer experiences like CoD and Battlefield, but then you have your Mass Effects, your GTAs, your Saints Rows, games that thrive on Single-Player experiences that don't necessarily require Internet. Consoles are easy and often have these games that people really enjoy.

That's why we're so reluctant to see the lack of online consoles. Consoles have always been more convenient offline, and while the options was THERE, there's still quite a couple of people that buy consoles solely for those single-player experiences. I don't hear a lot about people wanting a computer for the offline experience, let me tell you.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Didn't know it was ever broken to begin with. *shrugs*

Though all the Steam haters are amusing as always.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
If they want to make it less of a pain, then they need to make Steam not DRM. That is the simple truth. Please don't get me wrong, I love steam. Most of my PC games are on STEAM and it hasn't given me any issues... but, Steam is DRM at its heart. If they want Steam to just be an online store with an awesome interface, I'm all for it, but right now it is an Online Store with an awesome interface set up as DRM. Devs use steam as a release platform for the simple reason that it is DRM (and it has awesome sales numbers), so I don't buy it that the online check in is a bug and not intended. That is extra coding, not accidental coding.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've had the issue where I had no internet connection for two weeks and could not play offline because of a Steam update that was required. It was so fucking annoying and made all of my Steam games unplayable. Then again, when I thought I could play my Origin games offline I had the same issue with authentication.

So instead I had to go with my wonderful collection of physical media games that wouldn't give me such issues.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Magmarock said:
Sorry, but you're too late Valve at least for me you are. I have GOG, Deura and DotEmu. There's nothing on Steaming that really tantalizes me to sacrifice my consumer rights to play.

The first reason Steam was used, was because people stole HL2's source code adn with no sign of HL3, I can't even sympathize with you any more.
Is GOG really THAT good? I've browsed the library and nothing really stands out. Then again, I didn't play many classics that the site has, and it does have some cool stuff...

Site note: Your profile pic is FUCKING adorable o.o

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
So news about bugs from six months ago, bugs that have been fixed for at least three months, is now considered current news?

Seriously?

I don't understand. What's the point of this news post? Is it intended to stir up genuine conversation about this admittedly old issue[footnote]Which would still serve little purpose as it's no longer an actual issue.[/footnote] or is it designed to start arguments?

Ah, okay. I have my answer.

Agent357

Jul 2, 2013
Magmarock said:
There's nothing on Steaming that really tantalizes me to sacrifice my consumer rights to play.

The first reason Steam was used, was because people stole HL2's source code adn with no sign of HL3, I can't even sympathize with you any more.
*Steam *and

Tantalize means to promise something unobtainable to you, which does not fit in context, and Steam does not do.
Of everything that there is, Steam probably asks you to sacrifice your consumer's rights the least.

Steam was actually supposed to be put out at the same time as Half-Life 2: September 2003. After the leak, Steam rolled out. HL2 was delayed. Half-Life 3 isn't coming for a while. Just accept that. People only need sympathy who are in distress. Valve is nowhere near distress, and couldn't give a rat's ass about your sympathy.

OT: Thank God. This'll make playing at summer camp hella easier.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
munx13 said:
Actually, Steams offline mode has been working flawlessly for me for over a year now - lots of trips with my netbook, several internet outages due to maintenance, etc.
Try disabling wifi and setting the calendar forward 2 weeks. Usually around 2 weeks without reconnecting to steam it wipes your log in data and authentication. Generally doesn't affect people much, but I think that that is what this is about.

EDIT: Although some other posters indicate that they have now fixed the bug and that this article is based on old information.