Valve's First Ever Anime Games Sale Begins Now on Steam

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
inu-kun said:
How are eXceed games? Are they like Tohuou (meaning there are patterns rather than shit load of bullets).

And how is Bunny Must Die?
eXceed games are great. I'm familiar with but never actually played Tohuou, but in the Ys games the bosses are bloody tough and it may as well be bullet hell Zelda. There are always patterns to them though. Note though that Ys I & II Chronicles are pretty much straight ports of the 8bit games, and while Ys Origin is very good it's not as good as Oath in Felgenia which isn't in the main list but is also 66% off.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is more of a traditional JRPG with semi-tactical combat, and is by far my favourite of the bunch. I played it this year and it it's probably found it's way into my top 10 all time JRPG's actually, not quiet the same but closest comparison I would say is Suikoden II. You won't find a single RPG that's put more detail and effort into the background setting & characters of the world. Every town and little village has it's own industry & back story, every NPC is named and have their own little stories going on, which progress each time you advance the main story. This is the first game in a trilogy (they were on the PSP), the second one is almost done and they'll translate the third if the first two sell well enough.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
RandV80 said:
Also I'm curious, anyone play either of the Agarest: Generations games? Looks like it could be okay, but then there also seems to be a dating sim side to it. That's what some anime fans want so I have no problem with that but what I would call the 'shonen pandering' stuff just isn't for me. If it's minimal enough then maybe I could enjoy Agarest, but I'm not so sure...
I've played all the agarest games. there are light dating sim elements to it, mostly in the form of getting along with the girls so that you produce a stronger protagonist for the next generation.

that said, if fanservice isn't your thing, you'll probably wanna pass on it. the game DOES have fairly interesting lore, and takes itself seriously enough to be enjoyable, even for people like me who detest fanservice... buuuut... it's steeped in the stuff, and it's shameless about it. most of it comes in the form of "innocent things that sound wrong", like a scene where a girl tries to fit an entire sausage into her mouth, complete with suggestive dialogue.

so yeah, it panders to the otaku crowd hardcore. >.< a fairly average game otherwise though.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
RandV80 said:
Also I'm curious, anyone play either of the Agarest: Generations games? Looks like it could be okay, but then there also seems to be a dating sim side to it. That's what some anime fans want so I have no problem with that but what I would call the 'shonen pandering' stuff just isn't for me. If it's minimal enough then maybe I could enjoy Agarest, but I'm not so sure...
If you're just in it for the strategy game aspect, I'd pass. I played a few hours of the first one and founds that most battles involved doing basically the same thing. Sure, there are a lot of buttons you could press and fancy things you could do, but for like 90% of the battles what you will do is the same pattern that works well enough to take out all of the generic enemies in one or two turns.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
Shame 90% of the games in the "anime sale" are either poor games (Korra) or watered down VN's (quite a few company's have started to do this I've noticed, taking out the 18+ content and then releasing it on steam with a "if you want the lewd stuff buy the full one from our website")

There are the odd gems in there (Love live the Queen, Recettear) and some I haven't played (Hatoful Boyfriend or Hateful Boyfriend, whatever its called) but mostly it's just crap. It's a trend I've noticed for a while now that with steams lax approval policy has come a slew of crappy second rate VN's (though I will admit to enjoying Magical Diary a lot). This isnt to say there aren't terrible VN's outside of steam but steam seems to be a place for them to congregate at the moment