Valve's Vive VR Headset Devkit Will be Free For Qualified Devs

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Valve's Vive VR Headset Devkit Will be Free For Qualified Devs

Unlike Oculus, which charges a fee for each Rift devkit, the Vive will be completely free for qualified developers.

Developers looking to get their hands on a devkit for Valve's recently revealed Vive VR headset [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139977-Valve-VR-Headset-Named-Vive-HTC-Collaboration] will be pleased to learn that Valve will be providing the devices absolutely free of charge to whoever passes its qualification standards.

So far, Valve and HTC have offered kits to a handful of specially chosen developers, including Owlchemy Labs (Aaaaaa! For The Awesome), Bossa Studios (Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread), Fireproof Games (The Room), and Cloudhead Games (The Gallery). Valve's Doug Lombardi told Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/valve-to-offer-htc-vive-developer-edition-for-free/] that a sign-up page for aspiring devs would be coming over the next week, allowing all devs to submit themselves to Valve's qualification process.

Approved developers will get a Developer Edition kit pf the Vive that "will be free, at least initially," Lombardi said. Those kits will start shipping later in the spring as part of an "ongoing effort" to get the development hardware out widely ahead of the headset's planned 2015 consumer launch.

For comparison, Oculus is currently asking devs to fork over $350 [https://www.oculus.com/order/] for the latest version of its Rift devkit.

Valve's scheme comes with its own set of pluses and minuses compared to how Oculus is doing things. For example, offering the devkit as a paid product means that both members of the public and the press can easily get their hands on it, but offering it for free to approved developers means that devs will have more of an incentive to program games for the device.

Either way, it won't be long before we see the Vive in action for ourselves.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/valve-to-offer-htc-vive-developer-edition-for-free/]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Unlike the Vive, Oculus didn't have the initial advantage of being made by a company with deep pockets.

"But they got bought by Facebook! Surely they can afford to give out kits for free now," you might say.

"Yes they could," I would reply, "if they wanted to really drum up some bad publicity after having the initial Kickstarter backers pay for theirs."

Additionally, what makes one a "qualified" developer? Do you have to be a studio with some AAA titles under your belt? Do you just have to have a game for sale on Steam? Give that most of the interesting things that have come about for the Rift were made by indie devs, this is kind of important. "Got it for $350" is a better incentive for development than "had to wait until the consumer version was released."

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Unlike the Vive, Oculus didn't have the initial advantage of being made by a company with deep pockets.

"But they got bought by Facebook! Surely they can afford to give out kits for free now," you might say.

"Yes they could," I would reply, "if they wanted to really drum up some bad publicity after having the initial Kickstarter backers pay for theirs."
Considering Rift is targeted at developers as a beta product I doubt anyone would be too offended, especially considering it would get more developers trying the thing. Early adopters have never put much priority on value (or if they did, it was a mistake), including all the original kickstarter buyers who would have bought DK2s to replace the originals anyway by now. Anyone stingy enough to get angry about other people getting a better deal wouldn't have dropped the $700 to stay involved in the first place.

Though if they start messing with price tags when the consumer versions come out that's sure to produce some news drama. As it is, $350 is not that big an investment when it comes to game development. I would bet the choice for most devs will come down to performance before price.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Not even a few posts in and people are already trying to put a negative spin on this. Stay classy, Escapist forums.

Anyway, OT:
This is great news and all, but I'm more curious what the final price-point will be for the consumer model. HTC recently said that the consumer model would sell at "a slightly higher price point" than some of their direct competitors.

Jeff Gattis, HTC's Executive Director of Connected Products Marketing, said their aim is, "to deliver the most premium VR experience the world has seen", claiming that that statement isn't just marketing hyperbole, but a factual reflection that "this is at the high end of the market."

So I'm curious if their higher price-point reflects the planned improvements for the final build, the inclusion of the controllers, the inclusion of the Lighthouse base-stations, or some combination of those three.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
$350 (or whatever the Vive's dev kit would cost) is a drop in the bucket for all but the most bare bones indie game budget. I would hope their review process for the devs means the people strapped for cash, but with good VR ideas, can get one.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Developers looking to get their hands on a devkit for Valve's recently revealed Vive VR headset will be pleased to learn that Valve will be providing the devices absolutely free of charge to whoever passes its qualification standards."

Duh! They have ALL the money, after Half-Life 2 Episode 3 and Episode 4 made all the money in the world. Being best selling games for two years straight and all!

Oh wait, is this that alternate reality where they never ever release those? Hmmm...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I hope they offer them for purchase to devs who don't qualify. And as far as I can tell, the devs who are getting them free look like ones that already have experience coding for vr headsets: in other words, ones valve would have a hard time selling another vr headset to in the first place but have the experience needed to make vive a success. Smart move, all things considered.

I'm more interested in valve's vive, not because it's valve, but because it looks like it'll be a finished product sometime before I die rather than an endless beta like the oculus (although I'm still waiting on that steamcontroller, valve). Plus, valve is an actual game company as opposed to facebook.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Owlchemy Labs (Aaaaaa! For The Awesome)
That alone has me pumped for this.

I know that the "Aaaaa!" series already has Oculus Rift support, but it is cool to see Valve give a direct nod to Owlchemy Labs.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
flying_whimsy said:
I'm more interested in valve's vive, not because it's valve, but because it looks like it'll be a finished product sometime before I die rather than an endless beta like the oculus Plus, valve is an actual game company as opposed to facebook.
These are my thoughts on the matter as well. Part of my enthusiasm for the Vive is that it's the first, and only (so far), consumer-model VR HMD to have a solid, soon-ish release date. Plus, with out-of-the-box integration with Valve's Lighthouse and VR controllers, it looks like it'll offer a hell of a lot more than what Oculus and Sony are promising.

(although I'm still waiting on that steamcontroller, valve).
You probably already know, but...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370

It'll be around the same time as the release of the Steam Link.

I guess I know where one hundred and fifty dollars of my hard-earned money will be going that month...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Vigormortis said:
flying_whimsy said:
I'm more interested in valve's vive, not because it's valve, but because it looks like it'll be a finished product sometime before I die rather than an endless beta like the oculus Plus, valve is an actual game company as opposed to facebook.
These are my thoughts on the matter as well. Part of my enthusiasm for the Vive is that it's the first, and only (so far), consumer-model VR HMD to have a solid, soon-ish release date. Plus, with out-of-the-box integration with Valve's Lighthouse and VR controllers, it looks like it'll offer a hell of a lot more than what Oculus and Sony are promising.

(although I'm still waiting on that steamcontroller, valve).
You probably already know, but...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370

It'll be around the same time as the release of the Steam Link.

I guess I know where one hundred and fifty dollars of my hard-earned money will be going that month...
I've been following that pretty closely, actually, and I'm excited that the thing is finally coming out (still not holding my breath, though; both it and steam machines were supposed to be out last year and the controller was first announced almost two years ago). I would have preferred a d-pad over that analog stick, too, but if that touchpad works as well as a dpad for fighting games I won't care anyways.

And you're right about the other stuff valve is doing along with the vive: it really looks like they are going to have a complete package when all that stuff comes out that'll put the competitors to shame. Although to be honest, I'm really only interesting in the controller right now (I'm the exact opposite of an early adopter), but the idea of eventually having a vr headset to use with a star wars flightsim is something I've dreamt of since I was little. And valve seems like it's the closest to making that happen.

Even if I have to learn the coding necessary to make it happen, someday I will be able to fly a tie interceptor against those damn rebels and be able to look around at the cockpit with a vr headset.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
flying_whimsy said:
I've been following that pretty closely, actually, and I'm excited that the thing is finally coming out (still not holding my breath, though; both it and steam machines were supposed to be out last year and the controller was first announced almost two years ago). I would have preferred a d-pad over that analog stick, too, but if that touchpad works as well as a dpad for fighting games I won't care anyways.
I'll be honest, I'm by no means bummed that the thing doesn't have a d-pad. I guess I'm one of those plebs that's found most d-pads today to be nothing more than awkwardly shaped buttons. And in the few games where I might use a d-pad, I often find myself using an analog stick or keyboard instead.

Still, if some early reports are to be believed, the left pad functions surprisingly well as a d-pad. I'm not sure I'm completely sold on that claim, but if it is true it's all the better for those who want a d-pad.

And you're right about the other stuff valve is doing along with the vive: it really looks like they are going to have a complete package when all that stuff comes out that'll put the competitors to shame. Although to be honest, I'm really only interesting in the controller right now (I'm the exact opposite of an early adopter), but the idea of eventually having a vr headset to use with a star wars flightsim is something I've dreamt of since I was little. And valve seems like it's the closest to making that happen.
It remains to be seen what Sony and Oculus have in store for their final builds but, unless they plan to 'pull a rabbit out of their hats', I'm not seeing anything that they have planned that will outdo the promise of Lighthouse. It almost seems like HTC and Valve are the only ones truly interested in the 'presence' aspect of VR. Most others seem obsessed only with pushing the resolution and refresh rates of the displays. I haven't even seen Oculus doing much with solving the input issues with VR HMDs.

Still, at least we have three major competitors in the VR ring[footnote]I refuse to consider Microsoft's absurd Hololens a competitor in this. For one, it's AR, not VR. (though, personally, I believe AR is the real future, not just pure VR) For another, their promises are even more lofty and absurd sounding than the ones they made for Kinect - and we know how that turned out...[/footnote]. Solid, well-funded competition. This can only help the end-user in the long run.

Even if I have to learn the coding necessary to make it happen, someday I will be able to fly a tie interceptor against those damn rebels and be able to look around at the cockpit with a vr headset.
Well, given that three of the major engines coming out this year are going to be free, and that the SteamVR platform is going to be free and open-source, I'd say it'll be pretty easy to learn the necessary coding.

;)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I wonder if I offer to make an "Aircontroller part deux" (even I could knock that out of Unity, Air Control is no doubt I respected and renowned trademark so I need to adjust the name slightly) as a Gabenbox exclusive if they will send me one?

Vigormortis said:
I'll be honest, I'm by no means bummed that the thing doesn't have a d-pad. I guess I'm one of those plebs that's found most d-pads today to be nothing more than awkwardly shaped buttons. And in the few games where I might use a d-pad, I often find myself using an analog stick or keyboard instead.
As a mostly PC gamer that was used to a 360 controller for years I'm here with you, D-pads cannot get much worse. Even if someone rammed a USB cable up their crack and used their ass as a D-pad it couldn't be worse so the Steam controller looks interesting for in home game streaming at least, if I can get one cheaper than MSRP anyway and I don't know if it will replace my Xbox One controller.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
J Tyran said:
As a mostly PC gamer that was used to a 360 controller for years I'm here with you, D-pads cannot get much worse. Even if someone rammed a USB cable up their crack and used their ass as a D-pad it couldn't be worse so the Steam controller looks interesting for in home game streaming at least, if I can get one cheaper than MSRP anyway and I don't know if it will replace my Xbox One controller.
If it works even half as well as promised, I can guarantee the SteamController will replace my 360 controllers for my PC. I can't stand my 360 controller anymore. I've never liked the size or feel of the controller. The sticks are terrible (and wear out SO fast), the buttons feel squishy and oddly spaced, the triggers aren't quite to my liking, and the d-pad is worthless no matter what it's coded for.

Truth be told, I miss the old 'Duke' Xbox controller. It fit my hands perfectly and the sticks were immaculate. I also liked the pressure sensitive face buttons.

Anyway, nostalgia aside, a large chunk of my anticipation for the SteamController really is just that it will replace my Xbox controllers. I've honestly never truly liked any of them beyond the 'Duke'.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Silentpony said:
Well given what Valve considers qualified...

Though I admit, I'm looking forward to Air Control IN 3D!
This was the point I actually came here to make - let's hope their quality control for hardware is better than their quality control for software. They should at least compile a blacklist of developers after that fiasco.