Vampire the Masquerade: The Ghost Haunts at Midnight

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
So basically I'm a coward, especially when it comes to ghosts and things running past quickly. SO when I found out that the game I just brought contains a ghost mission called "one of the scarier gaming levels", which happens to contains creepy women running past at high speed I got worried.

Long story short. Do I have to do this mission? Can I console around it or just chose a different path? I'm loving that game but I know for a fact that playing through the level will mess me up goooooooood.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Oh, it's not actually that bad. I mean, yeah, it's scary for a game thats otherwise an RPG but it's no Silent Hill or Amnesia. Also, it's a pretty nice shoutout to The Shining. But if you really don't want to do it you can probably get the item you have to recover from that level by using a cheat.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Don't worry, "that bit" really isn't scary at all. I have no idea how it got that reputation. The lights flicker and objects bounce around every so often. It's actually rather comical.

It's even funnier when it inevitably starts glitching out.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Zhukov said:
Don't worry, "that bit" really isn't scary at all. I have no idea how it got that reputation. The lights flicker and objects bounce around every so often. It's actually rather comical.

What, the echoey footsteps, phantom appearances and whispering voices telling you he's getting closer didn't affect you? Okay, so it's much less scary when you know that nothing actually attacks you apart from poltergeist activity, but when you're doing it for the first time and have yet to get the measure of the game surely it's freaky when you're not sure what's about to come round the corner?

Anyway, it never glitched out for me.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Zhukov said:

What, the echoey footsteps, phantom appearances and whispering voices telling you he's getting closer didn't affect you? Okay, so it's much less scary when you know that nothing actually attacks you apart from poltergeist activity, but when you're doing it for the first time and have yet to get the measure of the game surely it's freaky when you're not sure what's about to come round the corner?

So from what I can gather, if I play with sound off then it wont be as scary but the experiences is ruined?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Gabanuka said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Zhukov said:

So from what I can gather, if I play with sound off then it wont be as scary but the experiences is ruined?
Yeah, pretty much. It's only really scary from what your mind conjures up along the way. Oh, and there's a couple of parts where the sound cues you in for the few real dangers in the mission. But basically it's not that scary if you know...

...That no ghosts ever attack you directly and you just get stuff chucked at you by a poltergeist. So don't be afraid to take your time and poke about.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Zhukov said:

Nah, the whole thing just felt like a fairground ghost ride to me. You just stroll along while the furniture bounces around. There's no sense of threat nor anything that I would call creepy. Paintings rattling on the wall and polygonal ghost ladies fluttering about aren't exactly the pinnacle of horror.

Sure, that first chandelier falling from the roof startled me but after that "not being sure what's to come around the next corner" amounted to guessing which random object was going to spaz out in each room.

Dec 14, 2009
It mostly deals with shock horror rather than psychological horror.

Just makes sure the volume on your headphones is lower than usual.

It's really not that bad...

But then again, I've played it dozens of times :D

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
If you really want to skip it, I suggest using noclip to head to the room with the pendant. It's on the last floor - not hard to miss. Just head up until you find it and then get out again. Some scripted blue fires will light up, so just be careful not to go straight through them by accident.

But I really suggest giving the level a spin. It's really fun. In a creepy and scary way, yes, but I love the level design. The ghost is harmless, more or less. It can't really kill you nor does it do stuff that is really that bad. But the atmosphere it creates is great.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Zhukov said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Zhukov said:

Nah, the whole thing just felt like a fairground ghost ride to me. You just stroll along while the furniture bounces around. There's no sense of threat nor anything that I would call creepy. Paintings rattling on the wall and polygonal ghost ladies fluttering about aren't exactly the pinnacle of horror.

Sure, that first chandelier falling from the roof startled me but after that "not being sure what's to come around the next corner" amounted to guessing which random object was going to spaz out in each room.
Yeah, but... You didn't know that it's just going to be stuff getting thrown at you at the time. I mean sure, once you know that it's not scary at all, but weren't you a little bit worried that the blood-soaked maniac of a ghost might really catch up with you?

I dunno, for me it was my imagination and paranoia that ran away with me that made it scary.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
It scared me too, it's not that scary but I scare easily so yeah.

I got through it by playing Blazblue music over it, it's a lot better with music playing.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Dandark said:
It scared me too, it's not that scary but I scare easily so yeah.

I got through it by playing Blazblue music over it, it's a lot better with music playing.
I was thinking about playing some Queen over it to soften the blow

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
That bit was freaking awesome. I've played Bloodlines several times over, to the point where I could run through the entire area blindfolded, but I'd still have to bring my brown pants for it. Play in a dark room with the sound turned up of course.

That's what horror in games should be like.

Geo Da Sponge said:
I dunno, for me it was my imagination and paranoia that ran away with me that made it scary.
Pretty much.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Well, if you played Thief: The Dark Project 2
It's comparable to the Ghost mansion level in that game.
A lot of WHOOOOOAAA, what's going on in here.
But not shit-your-pants-scary.

Since we're discussing scary, here's a link you shouldn't check out.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217

Most will know it I guess :)

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
BLAHwhatever said:
Well, if you played Thief: The Dark Project 2
It's comparable to the Ghost mansion level in that game.
A lot of WHOOOOOAAA, what's going on in here.
But not shit-your-pants-scary.

Since we're discussing scary, here's a link you shouldn't check out.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217

Most will know it I guess :)

DONT YOU DARE!

I've seen that shit!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I have been told that this command "OceanHouseQuestComplete()" (only what is within the quotes) makes the quest finish, but never tired it myself and it could screw things over for you. It is also on sites that list cheat codes so it might work.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Gabanuka said:
So basically I'm a coward, especially when it comes to ghosts and things running past quickly. SO when I found out that the game I just brought contains a ghost mission called "one of the scarier gaming levels", which happens to contains creepy women running past at high speed I got worried.

Long story short. Do I have to do this mission? Can I console around it or just chose a different path? I'm loving that game but I know for a fact that playing through the level will mess me up goooooooood.
Dude I don't mean to be rude but, just man up and play the level. It is only a video game at the end of the day, you can just look away if a scary bit pops up.

I mean I am playing the silent hill hd collection at the moment and yes it is scary. But I know it cant hurt me so it's ok, so I know I can run up to pyramid head and smack him on his Pythagoras themed head, and nothing will happen to me.

If you are really too scared I recommend this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tiynTPuUUM but then again I am a brony so it may not work for you. So you could take inspiration from Pinkie Pie's positive message and make your own song.

Terrik

Mar 21, 2009
It's one of the best levels in the game, you should play it. The moment you speak of is easy to see coming and it's pretty much over in half a second.