Vancouver, worse than it seems.

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
Judgmentalist said:
I don't think they're tlaking about those the cops have beaten. They're talking about those who have been beaten by others in the mob, which is LOTS as of this posting.
Oh, ok. That would make more sense I guess, it sounds pretty shitty.

I'm assuming you're in Vancouver?

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Pittsburgh fan here. I didn't even care this year, so this is surprising.

But, wow, the Canadians are hardcore about hockey. I hope things get under control soon. I'm guessing the suicides must be on account of some large bets.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
I am pretty disappointed, but not surprised. When 100,000 people gather together there are bound to be these sorts of idiots present. Add alcohol and sports defeat for instant riot.

Glad I live on Vancouver Island. I feel sorry for citizens of Vancouver, especially the property owners who are being looted and vandalized and the innocent people who were injured. At least I haven't heard of any deaths... yet.

The most embarrassing thing is it's all for a stupid hockey game. The Canucks may have lost, but we all know who the real losers are...

Judgmentalist

Oct 31, 2010
Bobbety said:
Judgmentalist said:
I don't think they're tlaking about those the cops have beaten. They're talking about those who have been beaten by others in the mob, which is LOTS as of this posting.
Oh, ok. That would make more sense I guess, it sounds pretty shitty.

I'm assuming you're in Vancouver?
Luckily I had a meeting I absolutely could not get out of. It kept me safe in Burnaby. I wouldn't try getting down there now if you paid me. Also, I don't wish to experience the ambiance of broken glass and burning metal.

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
Judgmentalist said:
Luckily I had a meeting I absolutely could not get out of. It kept me safe in Burnaby. I wouldn't try getting down there now if you paid me. Also, I don't wish to experience the ambiance of broken glass and burning metal.
It's such a shit show, at least the police seem to be handling it better after learning in 1994.

@ OT: Have there really been suicides, or are those just rumors.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
The attempted suicides are actually most likely related to the huge gambling debts that people from all across North America incurred tonight by betting on the Canucks. And being B.C., (a veritable mecca of Canadian ne'er-do-wells) you have to realise that all these rioters/provocateurs were ready and set to go regardless of whether Vancouver won or lost.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Seems that being a massive asshole isn't limited to Americans as the world likes to think it is. Too much maple syrup and moose piss will make even our neighbors to the north ornery.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
As I understand it, the riots were started by a few ne'er do wells in balaclavas, probably part of that group of anarchists that troll the country looking for powder kegs to blow. Unfortunately, due to the heightened frustration of Canucks fans, this must seem like easy pickings.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
...Wait... for losing the Stanley Cup?

...Is there some sort of controversy behind it? Because that's sort of overreacting. Well, that's REALLY overreacting.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Dukenstein said:
You guys riot for losing? Pshh, us LA folk riot for winning!
I understand being angry from losing, but it takes real imagination to be angry and destructive after winning lol.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
well if anyone wants to know how things were i'll make a huge post, i was there :p not involved, but saw it up close, but yeah, chances are, if we won, we'd be celebrating via riot XD not like the way we are now, but rampant city-stopping celebrations.

hell, woulden't be suprised if the bruins had a riot of they lost :p

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
There would've been Vancouver riots had they won. Some people just have no self control.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Embarrassing??? MORE LIKE METAL AS ALL HELL SON!!1111111

No, but seriously this is a disgrace to our fair city. We have a right to feel let down; 'The Italian Sieve' made an appearance again tonight and it just looked like the whole team shit their pants. But rioting? Come on.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I just got out of there. Saw the first car get tipped and torched but left before the tear gas.

For the first time in my life I'm disgusted by my own city.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
We've had similar riots in the Netherlands, though not as destructive. It usualy are large groups of football hooligans(not American football) fighting each other in the streets, mostly when some of the more popular teams are playing. Things seem to have quited down somewhat in the last decade, though.