Velocity

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
realslimshadowen said:
Andrew_C said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
4) She is recovering from a head trauma and he throws her out the door headfirst so she lands on her chin. In fictionland, getting tapped on the head is often seen as an inconvenience, but even that isn't true in this instance, so let's treat it realistically: he could have aggravated her injury or killed her.

I hope he gets fired for endangering his "friend's" life, goes broke, loses his house, his girlfriend breaks up with his pathetic ass, and he ends up having to turn tricks for money to buy food.

Then he'll learn that having sex more frequently than other people doesn't mean you're a success.
Yeah, exactly!
People who do something as insanely dangerous and life-threatening as trying to cause head-trauma are the worst. Those things are just unforgivable. Like throwing somebody out on the street or, even worse, hurling a heavy blunt object at somebodys head with enough force to partially shatter a wall.
Those people definitly need to suffer the consequences of their actions.
Unless, you know, they have a mental illness that is seriously impairing their judgement.
ftfy
Having a mental illness/brain damage/PTSD does not give you a free pass to act like a dick.
No, but it should get you some understanding from the person responsible for the injury, as opposed to a direct assault.
No, I think once you start assaulting people in life-threatening ways because of your injury, you shouldn´t "get some understanding" anymore (also, take a look at the earlier comics, before shit escalated. Nobody really gave her crap for BREAKING INTO A HOUSE. Seems to me she already got her fair share of understanding).
You should be removed from a situation where you could do further immediate harm (in this case, OUT of the house) and then get into therapy.
The kind where you can´t just walk away.

Unless of course you are doing what you did out of your own volition, then you are just a dangerous prick.
I don´t think playing the "You can´t blame me for my actions!" and "Pff, I don´t need help."-cards at the same time is a legal move.

Edit: Huh, I think I now know what the next strip will be.
Her realization that she DOES have a problem.

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
Andrew_C said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
4) She is recovering from a head trauma and he throws her out the door headfirst so she lands on her chin. In fictionland, getting tapped on the head is often seen as an inconvenience, but even that isn't true in this instance, so let's treat it realistically: he could have aggravated her injury or killed her.

I hope he gets fired for endangering his "friend's" life, goes broke, loses his house, his girlfriend breaks up with his pathetic ass, and he ends up having to turn tricks for money to buy food.

Then he'll learn that having sex more frequently than other people doesn't mean you're a success.
Yeah, exactly!
People who do something as insanely dangerous and life-threatening as trying to cause head-trauma are the worst. Those things are just unforgivable. Like throwing somebody out on the street or, even worse, hurling a heavy blunt object at somebodys head with enough force to partially shatter a wall.
Unless, you know, they have a mental illness that is seriously impairing their judgement.
ftfy
Having a mental illness/brain damage/PTSD does not give you a free pass to act like a dick.
No, but it should get you some understanding from the person responsible for the injury, as opposed to a direct assault.
No, I think once you start assaulting people in life-threatening ways because of your injury, you shouldn´t "get some understanding" anymore (also, take a look at the earlier comics, before shit escalated. Nobody really gave her crap for BREAKING INTO A HOUSE. Seems to me she already got her fair share of understanding).
You should be removed from a situation where you could do further immediate harm (in this case, OUT of the house) and then get into therapy.

Unless of course you are doing what you did out of your own volition, then you are just a dangerous prick.
I don´t think playing the "You can´t blame me for my actions!" and "Pff, I don´t need help."-cards at the same time is a legal move.

Maybe.

But if you're responsible for her condition (and thus responsible for the situation), you don't get to ogle her when her madness is amusing and then get pissed, throw her out of your house half-dressed, and tell her to "grow up" only when it becomes inconvenient for you.

If he'd been pissed off from the start for the break-in and antics and broken the fight up immediately, he'd still be an insensitive jagoff, but at least he wouldn't be a hypocrite on top of it all.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
Andrew_C said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:

Yeah, exactly!
ftfy

Maybe.

But if you're responsible for her condition (and thus responsible for the situation), you don't get to ogle her when her madness is amusing and then get pissed, throw her out of your house half-dressed, and tell her to "grow up" only when it becomes inconvenient for you.

If he'd been pissed off from the start for the break-in and antics and broken the fight up immediately, he'd still be an insensitive jagoff, but at least he wouldn't be a hypocrite on top of it all.
I would argue that he is very much not SOLELY responsible for this shit.
She didn´t wear her seatbelt, she didn´t take her medication (yeah, yeah, she thinks it doesn´t work. But I think that having the patients be the sole arbiter on what works or doesn´t is a shit idea. Especially in an area where medication DOES have tendency to make things worse, before making them better).

But yeah, I agree, he´s handling this in the most retarded way possible.
Doesn´t mean I have to like Erin right now.
There are situation where everybody involved is being a dickhead, for their own special snowflake reason.

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
Andrew_C said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:

Yeah, exactly!
ftfy

Maybe.

She didn´t wear her seatbelt, she didn´t take her medication (yeah, yeah, she thinks it doesn´t work. But I think that having the patients be the sole arbiter on what works or doesn´t is a shit idea. Especially in an area where medication DOES have tendency to make things worse, before making them better).

There are situation where everybody involved is being a dickhead, for their own special snowflake reason.
Fair enough. BUT!

1) I never said he was solely responsible.
2) We've seen things from her perspective. The meds don't work. And it's very common for creative types who have mental illnesses, to feel that their creativity has been diminished by their medication.
3) I agree with you that she's probably going to decide to change something. She's hit rock bototm and she's out of funny, and this is supposed to be a humorous strip.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
realslimshadowen said:
Fair enough. BUT!

2) We've seen things from her perspective. The meds don't work. And it's very common for creative types who have mental illnesses, to feel that their creativity has been diminished by their medication.
3) I agree with you that she's probably going to decide to change something. She's hit rock bototm and she's out of funny, and this is supposed to be a humorous strip.
With regards to 2):
It´s a bit more difficult than that. As I said, meds for this kind of illness often mess you up even worse, before they make things better (your mind is already dicking with you, and now you introduce drugs in this system, which are dicking with your mind, which is already dicking with you.). Which is why the patient shouldn´t be the one to decide to quite, precisely because from his perspective it might honestly look like they just make things way worse.
I guess whoever is handling Erin´s therapy is kind of fucking up the whole "Educate your patient about what is going on with them"-part.

And 3)..... yeah, this, if nothing else, will be the reason why things are going to change. This has gone from wacky to disturbing. And that isn´t the direction this comic should go in the long run, imho.

CrustyOlGoat

Apr 1, 2012
I just wanted to say that, having been on an archive binge all-night... This is fantastic. Literally fantastic. Ayup. That's, that's pretty much the reason I registered. Thanks for managing to make someone laugh while writing a believable female character at the same time. It's - well, it's nice. Thanks, and g'night or night equivilent!

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:
Andrew_C said:
realslimshadowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
realslimshadowen said:

Yeah, exactly!
ftfy

Maybe.

Fair enough. BUT!

I'd say she is almost fully responsible for her injuries.
it was an accident. She chose not to wear a seatbelt. He did not force her into the car at gunpoint, or aim the car at the lamp post.

But I agree that Elloit? bears some responsibility and could be handling the present situation better, but he is not some monster out to ruin her life, or even just a thoughtless jerk. He's a guy who has lost patience with the woman who broke into his flat and assaulted his girlfriend.

TheAmazingHobo put best when he said everybodies being a dick at the moment, for their own reasons

Also, she was having hallucinations before the accident.

I'm on meds myself that make it feel like my head is stuffed with cotton wool sometimes, but the consequences of not taking them are worse than the meds, so I take them.

But I agree, time for some funny

columbianbacon

Dec 6, 2009
Well, to throw something unessisary onto the pile, which is made even more unessiary since it is Australian rather than American, but......

If a passenger isn't wearing a seat belt, there is a fine and loss of demerit points, since it is the drivers fault for not either a) getting them to secure it, or b) telling them to get the fuck out of your car since they will die when you have a crash. Used to only be for those under 16 years old, but they changed it. He may not have intentionally crashed the car (that woul dbe stupid to suggest), but as the pilot of a piece of heavy machinery, he has a duty to ensure the safety of anyone within or without of the vehicle within his power to do so. "Buckle up or walk" seems like it's well within his power.

Also, I seem to note that the ultimate issue that people have (apart from the throwing outside, which is just as impassioned and as potentially deadly as XBOX headshot. I mean, come one, did you think they were hoenstly planning to do that for much longer than when they went for the attack?) isn't that either side is being put upon unfairly. Both parties have fucked up, ultimately, in their friendships and common human courtesy. Two wrong and wronged, highly emotional sides clashed, and the results weren't pretty. The REAL problem, at least the way I'm reading into everyone's comments, is the choice of words by what's-his-face or the writers or whoever you blame. "Grow up" was an attempt at being a short, stinging line, but it seemed petty and just plain wrong. "Go Home", "Fuck Off", "Clean up your act or don't come back". Not going to win me a writing award, but I can see things being less heated if something like that was used.

I want to see where this goes, but the arc has sadly killed my love for the strip. When it is finished, I'm pulling out, not that anyone would CARE...

hathfallen

Nov 7, 2007
I would so like to see this internet cartoon about video games turn into a serious debate about psychiatric medication and the responsible use thereof can we do that please? thanks

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
hathfallen said:
I would so like to see this internet cartoon about video games turn into a serious debate about psychiatric medication and the responsible use thereof can we do that please? thanks
Well I'd say its a sign of good writing that people are getting so passionate about it, but people on the internet can get passionate about anything, up to and including kids cartoons about magical ponies.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
as far as im concerned, Erin deserved everything that she got. so lets see:
-she broke an xbox
-went crazy and wrestled that other girl
-she broke into the guys house

and for the other people:
-they defending their home against a half-naked intruder

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
I really hope something changes so it lightens up, I liked when erin molly and ummm...... clutch or something just hung out and had fun.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Aprilgold said:
PunkRex said:
Abedeus said:
PunkRex said:
Is there anything cuter then Erin all scruffy from fistycuffs, kneeling in the mud with no trousers on?

The answers no.
Baby Krogan.

0_0 Im studying to become a Paleontologist... thats adorable! /)^3^(\
DAMN YOU DERPY HOOVES, YOU'VE TAKEN ANOTHER VICTIM, DAMN YOU TO HEELLL!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just find it funny that this many people are getting up-and-arms over this comic. I just miss the silliness of it all.
I think peeps are just a little worried that a good comic could go the way of that other one... I was never a fan of the other one... but I was around for the backlash, not pretty.

Anyways, I think thats a load of old bollocks. This comics still on topic, you know video games and I like abit of character development, even in my funnies. Erin takes time out of her developement to focus on current topics e.g. Mass Effect and then gets back to work on crazy brain damage stories, s'all gooood.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't want to say anything that gets me banned, but... I dunno, heavy-handed emotional-type dramatic stuff is fine when we can sort of relate to it or get some closure or something out of it, but hearing voices from video game characters and getting in pants-less fights isn't something that usually happens to real people. How on earth does she have a spare console she can throw, for instance, and how did she get in if not through the window?

Like, is there some payoff to all this? Who is this character Erin? Does she have any emotion or motivation whatsoever? Did you really plan the whole "hallucinating video game characters" thing from the start, or was it just a way to kick-start a boring, faceless character?

Oh, that's right. We know she likes donuts. Nevermind then.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
How did this very bad comic win over "Manly Guys doing Manly things?"

Oh yah. Cronyism

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
PunkRex said:
I think peeps are just a little worried that a good comic could go the way of that other one... I was never a fan of the other one... but I was around for the backlash, not pretty.

Anyways, I think thats a load of old bollocks. This comics still on topic, you know video games and I like abit of character development, even in my funnies. Erin takes time out of her developement to focus on current topics e.g. Mass Effect and then gets back to work on crazy brain damage stories, s'all gooood.
I miss it all being based about the games. The silliness of having Kratos jump in at the end of the comic isn't as funny if Kratos was killing Sonic or something wacky like that. My point wasn't that the comic was off-topic or that character development is bad, where did you get that in my post? My point was that it is trying to be too serious to grab a new audience into it or be artsie or something else. Heavy handed emotional crap is alright every now and then, but thats all its been for about four comics, and it really isn't that attachable due to things like pants-less or Shirtless fight scenes.

If your going to be serious about it, make it serious. Don't half-ass it.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
InTheEnd said:
The reason she doesn't take the med is that the pills don't help they just make the hallucinations weirder. For example in the comic that that was expleined she saw a Spacemarine/Link mix-thingie with a weird, floating Roboskull navi.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Still, that doesn't let Erin completely off the hook, 'cause she needs to tell her doctor that the meds she prescribed aren't working.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Sandytimeman said:
Dude...that was a dick move. I'm...like not even able to express my hate towards characters I previously liked. Mol and Mr.Geeky there need to go take a drive asap so they can run into another poll.

Seriously he is pretty much responsible for her brain damage, he doesn't know what its like to try and deal with the meds, and he doesn't care because hes hooking up with her roomate anyway. Why should he take any responsibility. Grrr >.>
You know... I totally didnt remember that.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
columbianbacon said:
Well, to throw something unessisary onto the pile, which is made even more unessiary since it is Australian rather than American, but......

If a passenger isn't wearing a seat belt, there is a fine and loss of demerit points, since it is the drivers fault for not either a) getting them to secure it, or b) telling them to get the fuck out of your car since they will die when you have a crash. Used to only be for those under 16 years old, but they changed it. He may not have intentionally crashed the car (that woul dbe stupid to suggest), but as the pilot of a piece of heavy machinery, he has a duty to ensure the safety of anyone within or without of the vehicle within his power to do so. "Buckle up or walk" seems like it's well within his power.

Also, I seem to note that the ultimate issue that people have (apart from the throwing outside, which is just as impassioned and as potentially deadly as XBOX headshot. I mean, come one, did you think they were hoenstly planning to do that for much longer than when they went for the attack?) isn't that either side is being put upon unfairly. Both parties have fucked up, ultimately, in their friendships and common human courtesy. Two wrong and wronged, highly emotional sides clashed, and the results weren't pretty. The REAL problem, at least the way I'm reading into everyone's comments, is the choice of words by what's-his-face or the writers or whoever you blame. "Grow up" was an attempt at being a short, stinging line, but it seemed petty and just plain wrong. "Go Home", "Fuck Off", "Clean up your act or don't come back". Not going to win me a writing award, but I can see things being less heated if something like that was used.

I want to see where this goes, but the arc has sadly killed my love for the strip. When it is finished, I'm pulling out, not that anyone would CARE...
In the U.S., the driver only gets in trouble if the passenger is under 18; otherwise, the passenger is the one who can get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt -- or at least that's the way it works in my home state. [sub]And I agree; this comic just isn't as good as it was at first.[/sub]

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Damn....

It's awfully groovy seeing all the treasure and the booty

The last three panels were the best.

It's been fun, but we might want to move on from this scene, so the male escapists and some of the female ones can put it back in their pants.