Venezualan election 2024

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
the 'voter base' that isn't present in the country. yeah, that's pretty arcane. telling that you can't even describe it completely when trying to justify your objection, because if you actually include 'outside the country' then it definitely sounds like a quibble.
If you don't like the principle that a country's citizens-- even when refugees or living out of country for work-- have the vote, then just say that. You keep dressing it up in this fluff, belittling or minimising the impact of it. It's a quarter of the voterbase, who even by Venezuelan law are entitled to vote, but are blocked by financial/administrative barriers. Those are not quibbling numbers.

and i did engage with it. you haven't engaged with my criticism of it as far from some kind of obvious bedrock principle at all. oh, i don't want to compare them, but it's super interesting how these comparable things that I'm definitely not comparing are treated differently by some people. :rolleyes:
Do you understand the difference between comparing political situations/countries, and comparing our responses on the forum?

what on earth do you mean by 'acceptable'? because it is not at all your prerogative to decide what Venezuelans should or should not accept.
Nor is it yours, yet you're passing judgement on that question just as readily as I am. It's called criticism.

lmao

You're the one who made the case that somehow requiring passports for overseas voting would result in gains for the opposition. Which is fascist. Do you need me to go and link it for you?

Well, here it is:
Yes, I recall-- and my point is that which way they may vote doesn't determine whether they should have that right, a concept you seem to have difficulty with. Now you also seem to be embracing the idea that the poor overseas would vote against the government, despite dismissing it beforehand.

also, about Colombia: yeah, it's SUPER WEIRD to not allow observers from a country that has, among other things, hosted training camps for soldiers to cross the border into Venezuela and attempt to overthrow the government. Venezuela really has no respect for democratic marauding.

Were you ignorant of Colombia's history of collaboration in US antagonism toward Venezuela? Or is this just another case of omitting inconvenient facts?
Quite aware of what the previous Colombian government was involved in. Is this another case of considering subsequent unrelated administrations responsible for what their predecessors from different parties and ideologies have done?

Last edited: