Venom 2 Trailer

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Am I the only one who thinks Woody Harrelson is completely miscast in this one? Like what, the ancient goofy pothead clownman who thinks 5G caused Covid is Carnage, the serious threat to both Spiderman and Venom?! Why not get Randy Quaid to be Kingpin, the genius criminal mastermind?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Am I the only one who thinks Woody Harrelson is completely miscast in this one? Like what, the ancient goofy pothead clownman who thinks 5G caused Covid is Carnage, the serious threat to both Spiderman and Venom?! Why not get Randy Quaid to be Kingpin, the genius criminal mastermind?
Woody harrelson fits Cletus Cassidy just fine. He just has that right amount of craziness for it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Actually, I think he's perfectly cast. He has the range as an actor and just the right amount of sinister-ism to play the wild card that Kassidy was in the comics: a grinning, lethal psychopath. Insofar as a "threat to Spiderman and Venom," I think his biggest threat was his complete and total lack of empathy and rationality. He kills indiscriminately with complete abandon whereas Spidey (being a hero) and Venom (being fixating on just wanting to hurt Spiderman and no one else) made Carnage difficult to predict and control, i.e.: when Spidey and Venom fought each other, they would remove themselves to remote locations, away from innocents, even going so far as to make time mid-fight to stop stray debris from hurting anyone else. Carnage would fight in the daycare at a hospital at noon on a Tuesday with no qualms potentially bringing the whole building down around himself.

1628106210316.png

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
See I don't see him as this sinister, lethal psychopath, I see him as an idiot who was liberal and smoked pot in his early years, and then turned into a right-wing idiot in his later years. At least for me he's an unbearable actor in movies, and equally unbearable person in real life. His best movie was Zombieland, and I thought those were terrible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I don't see him as this sinister, lethal psychopath, I see him as an idiot who was liberal and smoked pot in his early years, and then turned into a right-wing idiot in his later years. At least for me he's an unbearable actor in movies, and equally unbearable person in real life. His best movie was Zombieland, and I thought those were terrible.
Zombieland sucked. Woody Harrelson is fine otherwise. I swear dude, you worry too much a lot. It's your opinion, but I heavily disagree.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You know he'll be "acting," right? I feel Harrelson can PORTRAY a sinister, lethal psychopath; not saying Harrelson himself IS one. I don't give a shit who he is as a person; there are plenty of actors I don't like as people, but still appreciate their acting talent. Have you seen Natural Born Killers?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't know much about Carnage, but is he known for being anything other than violent as fuck? Because the traits you used to describe Woody, are often the kinds of traits (wacko conspiracy theory BS), that you find in people who decide it's a good idea to shoot up massage parlors, and assault pizza shops to save the kids from the blood drinking democrats. And....I can EASILY see people like that, when given access to a super powered symbiote, it just fueling their mania into full blown death and...well...carnage. I mean they do that kind of shit IRL, so yeah, I can see someone like that doing just fine as a mindless killer.

Also, as others have pointed out, Woody became a household name, playing a homicidal maniac, so he's more than capable of doing it. Yes I know he was on Cheers, but I didn't really know him until Natural Born Killers, that's when he really became pop culture huge.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't know much about Carnage, but is he known for being anything other than violent as fuck? Because the traits you used to describe Woody, are often the kinds of traits (wacko conspiracy theory BS), that you find in people who decide it's a good idea to shoot up massage parlors, and assault pizza shops to save the kids from the blood drinking democrats. And....I can EASILY see people like that, when given access to a super powered symbiote, it just fueling their mania into full blown death and...well...carnage. I mean they do that kind of shit IRL, so yeah, I can see someone like that doing just fine as a mindless killer.

Also, as others have pointed out, Woody became a household name, playing a homicidal maniac, so he's more than capable of doing it. Yes I know he was on Cheers, but I didn't really know him until Natural Born Killers, that's when he really became pop culture huge.
Carnage? His whole shtick is being a psychopathic sadistic nihilist obsesses with causing chaos and bloodshed. He's the Joker, but with all the cleverness and macabre sense of humor replaced with 90's edge.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Carnage? His whole shtick is being a psychopathic sadistic nihilist obsesses with causing chaos and bloodshed. He's the Joker, but with all the cleverness and macabre sense of humor replaced with 90's edge.
So then basically anyone could be the vessel for that symbiote, as all you need is a willingness to kill people indiscriminately, and enjoy doing it. And Woody's already established he can convincingly play that type of character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So then basically anyone could be the vessel for that symbiote, as all you need is a willingness to kill people indiscriminately, and enjoy doing it. And Woody's already established he can convincingly play that type of character.
The only thing worse than Cletus Cassidy in the Carnage suit...is....her!

Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Everyone check this out.
Venom 2 is one movie Im gonna be taking any opportunity to shit on for a while. Its an interesting dissonance movie goer tribes. Theres a group that cares more about delivery of themes, a group that demands a movie function end to end from a story and direction perspective, and then the folks that demand perfection from the two. I tend to, with few exception put myself in the middle group. "Things" bug me and they will ruin a movie for me. Sometimes its dialog sometimes in its scene transitions or editing.

What I generally hear from people who enjoyed Venom 2 is that delivered thing they wanted. Venom made a funny, Carnage flailed around shooting red goo, some scenes looked comicbook like.

The problem for me is that I can't let go of the fact that the film is an editing nightmare. That the cop, ex and her boyfriend, float in and out of the film at random. That they blurred out or cut any violence, Im not a fanatic, but it is a movie about a serial killer and one of the most violence villains in the Marvel universe. That Venom and Eddie brocks relationship seems completely reset and doesn't really have any kind of payoff. That venom goes to a rave and the film demands you think its hilarious and cool, but all he does is stand around. That theres no build up or explaination to anything. If we watched it on netflix I could point out to you where scenes were cut short or replaced to push the film along faster. I feel like it should not jump out to me that easily.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Venom 2 is one movie Im gonna be taking any opportunity to shit on for a while. Its an interesting dissonance movie goer tribes. Theres a group that cares more about delivery of themes, a group that demands a movie function end to end from a story and direction perspective, and then the folks that demand perfection from the two. I tend to, with few exception put myself in the middle group. "Things" bug me and they will ruin a movie for me. Sometimes its dialog sometimes in its scene transitions or editing.

What I generally hear from people who enjoyed Venom 2 is that delivered thing they wanted. Venom made a funny, Carnage flailed around shooting red goo, some scenes looked comicbook like.

The problem for me is that I can't let go of the fact that the film is an editing nightmare. That the cop, ex and her boyfriend, float in and out of the film at random. That they blurred out or cut any violence, Im not a fanatic, but it is a movie about a serial killer and one of the most violence villains in the Marvel universe. That Venom and Eddie brocks relationship seems completely reset and doesn't really have any kind of payoff. That venom goes to a rave and the film demands you think its hilarious and cool, but all he does is stand around. That theres no build up or explaination to anything. If we watched it on netflix I could point out to you where scenes were cut short or replaced to push the film along faster. I feel like it should not jump out to me that easily.
You have some major points, but most did not bother me. I like the movie overall. Now my brother on the other hand, is a huge Venom fanboy and he loves the crap out of this movie. You can tell him about all the flaws all day, and he would not be paying attention at all. His reaction is going to be a whatever or "yeah, that's nice". I do look forward to The crossover with the MCU that is happening now. Let's get really crazy. All we need now is some Deadpool.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

We can agree on this point: I really want a rated-R Venom movie; there's too much violence suggested for the character to be PG-13. Really surprised they brought Carnage in and stayed within the bounds of PG-13.

You you have some major points, but most did not bother me. I like the movie overall. Now my brother on the other hand, is a huge Venom fanboy and he loves the crap out of this movie. You can tell him about all the flaws all day, and he would not be paying attention at all. His reaction is going to be a whatever or "yeah, that's nice".
That's me; I'm the Venom fanboy, and these two films have delivered what I wanted. Every time he was on screen, I giggled like a child; he just looks so fucking awesome! They got him so right, unlike that bullshit they tried to pull in Spider-Man 3.

I do look forward to The crossover with the MCU that is happening now. Let's get really crazy. All we need now is some Deadpool.
Hard disagree. I don't want Venom OR Deadpool in the MCU for the simple fact they'll be hamstrung by the larger, unnecessary narrative for another "Endgame"-type deal in the end. It's not interesting or entertaining. People loved Endgame; I hated it for the simple fact that if you wanted to see your favorite hero on screen, you got about 14 seconds to do so despite the film being 19 hours long. To use a sports metaphor: "too many men on the field." Classic case of jack of all trades, master of none. I want to see Venom movies, not Venom in Marvel movies with a cast of dozens to stroke the fandom of Marvel fanboys.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
We can agree on this point: I really want a rated-R Venom movie; there's too much violence suggested for the character to be PG-13. Really surprised they brought Carnage in and stayed within the bounds of PG-13.
I had a couple people point out the weird hentai scene where carnage sticks a tentacle down that cops throat, but then nothing happens. Everybody agrees it looks like it was supposed to be a brutal death and then they cut it. I will admit the movie would have gone up in points significantly for me if you actually saw Carnage sweeping through people like a roomba covered in razor blades. LIke have him seem much more menacing. I could swear there was a monster movie recently that did that, but I could be thinking of all the brutality in The Boys.

Its never made clear if the guy is hurt or what. My cousin claims you do see on screen deaths, but I can't remember a single one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

That's me; I'm the Venom fanboy, and these two films have delivered what I wanted. Every time he was on screen, I giggled like a child; he just looks so fucking awesome! They got him so right, unlike that bullshit they tried to pull in Spider-Man 3.

Hard disagree. I don't want Venom OR Deadpool in the MCU for the simple fact they'll be hamstrung by the larger, unnecessary narrative for another "Endgame"-type deal in the end. It's not interesting or entertaining. People loved Endgame; I hated it for the simple fact that if you wanted to see your favorite hero on screen, you got about 14 seconds to do so despite the film being 19 hours long. To use a sports metaphor: "too many men on the field." Classic case of jack of all trades, master of none. I want to see Venom movies, not Venom in Marvel movies with a cast of dozens to stroke the fandom of Marvel fanboys.
I already know about your hard disagree. That's fine, but it doesn't bother me much. Venom can still have his own solo movies, despite being part of the MCU. and last I checked, even though Disney bought fox, they're still going to let Deadpool be R-rated and do his own thing. I'm not hardcore into everything MCU either, but I'm going to give it a chance. I'm not going to go on panic mode or get upset about it. There's just some things not worth constantly fretting over.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jon Voight for Doc Ock.
James Woods as Vulture.
Dude that played TV Hercules can be Kraven.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Boy is the plot thin even at 90 minutes. Woody/Carnage breaks out, goes on a rampage, boss fight. On the hero side it's your standard superhero plot of coping without your powers/sidekick for most of the movie. Nothing much happens outside of that. Props to Hardy for having fun with it though. And who would've thought in the 90s that such an edgelord like Venom would end up as as such an uwu character in a queer relationship.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Boy is the plot thin even at 90 minutes. Woody/Carnage breaks out, goes on a rampage, boss fight. On the hero side it's your standard superhero plot of coping without your powers/sidekick for most of the movie. Nothing much happens outside of that. Props to Hardy for having fun with it though. And who would've thought in the 90s that such an edgelord like Venom would end up as as such an uwu character in a queer relationship.
I keep seeing references to this, did I miss something in these movies? Like Im guessing this is referring to Venom and Eddie having like...romantic feelings for one another? Or was there like a gay scene between Eddie and the Detective I missed? Like at least as far as I could see both movies are genuinely about how much Venom and Eddie don't like one another and they're forced to tolerate each other for the sake of killing something, and to a lesser degree, a pair of chickens. Not quiet sure where the LGBTQXYZ+ part comes in.

I suppose one could say Eddie being white and Venom being black its a metaphor for post-Civil War reconstruction era South and the tension between the newly freed slaves and the white confederates?