Vent: Doom 4 multiplayer may have loadouts for some modes

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
How about fuck the hell no? This has no fucking place in a Doom game, period. Multiplayer for the series never has had loadout options, not even Doom 3.

For the naysayers and those defending this practice added into this game, go back to games that actually HAVE loadouts, like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

I?m sick of this modern trope shit worming their way into my favorite games.

Sigh.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Eh i'm sure they'll have a classic mode or w/e your looking for in it. Loadouts can add balance and diversity to gameplay if done right. Sometimes map only weapon spawns lead to steamrolling as powerweapon users control spawns and powerups. yeah you could "git gud" and be the up armored dude raping face but sometimes its nice to know your TTK is about even with someone else.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I just hope you can spawn with a half-decent weapon. Something to give you an actual fighting chance if you get hunted down by the full-health, mostly-armored rocket launcher user before you are capable of finding a basic shotgun.

Doom 3 multiplayer sucked when all you had in a fresh life was the pistol, and Resurrection of Evil's gift of giving respawned players a half-clip machine gun barely increased the odds of getting completely dominated by the dude who rotates through all the health, armor and weapon spawns between taking the occasional break to splatter the room with your insides.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Well, it's some modes. Isn't more modes a good thing? Maybe those modes will be customizable to limit the types of loadouts you can have. Then we can have energy weapons only, rockets only and whathaveyou.

Just to be positive.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The horror! The Lovecraftian horror that some modes might include loadouts. The game is ruined! Ruined I say! /s

Calm down, dude. It's some modes, not every mode. They're trying to appeal to more modern gamers and attract more people into the game. Unless every mode or a majority of modes forces loadouts, I see no problem. What if every single mode has both a classic and loadout version? Is that something to complain or even worry about?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry, but you don't get to dictate what other people play. If it's really so big a deal for you, then don't buy the game. However, there's a very real possibility that the series will go on without you.

Doom is not "your" game.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Who buys Doom for the multiplayer anyway?

Then again, with how well Rage was received on launch there's a high possibility it might not even run at all...

but yeah; as for OP's comment, I'm not a fan of modernisations in certain games... DNF is enough reason for that... but if it's only for certain modes, and not all of them, what problem is there?
I never played Doom Multiplayer anyway because it was always terrible unless you could walk across the room and deck the guy who rocketed you...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Glaice said:
For the naysayers and those defending this practice added into this game, go back to games that actually HAVE loadouts, like Call of Duty or Battlefield.
I'm defending this, and I'm an avid fan of old-school shooters. Hell, I grew up on the likes of Doom, Quake, and Half-Life, and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. So, if you will, mind not acting as though people like me are somehow unworthy to play Doom 4?

And for the record: I can't stand Call of Duty. Beyond COD4's campaign, they all bore me to tears.

I?m sick of this modern trope shit worming their way into my favorite games.

Sigh.
"Modern trope shit"?

Uh...loadouts in multiplayer shooters have been around for a long time.

Seriously, this news upsets you? Your title even says "for some modes", implying it's not in all modes. And, from what I've been hearing from those who've had a chance to try the early build, the fast-paced simplicity of classic Doom exists in some of the modes.

So yeah. Let's relax, see how the final product turns out, and decide, individually, whether we want to buy it.

Don't like the final product? Don't buy it. The old Dooms still work on modern machines, and the modding/mapping communities are still somewhat active. You can always turn to those for your Doom fix. It's often what I do.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I have no problems with their being "some modes", with loadouts, so long as there's more that don't.

I'm also slightly concerned that this is already the OP's favourite game, based solely on a few minutes of gameplay (or what claims to be gameplay) and the name. I admit it looks better than Doom 3, but that wouldn't take a lot.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Join the club.
Same thing happened to Halo and it was as shit as everyone thought it would be.
Abandon all hope, and just try to accept that a with a developer that thinks that was a good idea, the game had little hope to begin with. It was always just modern-fps #5377 with doom Slapped on the cover.

Edit: Surprised about all the people defending this.
Loadouts completely change the way the game is played. Someone said that OP can't dictate what the game is like... but then who can if not the fans of the original games.
It's a doom game, if its not something the fans will like and plays differently to how doom did, why call it Doom at all?

Same thing happened to Oldschool Runescape servers. They got released as copies of late 2006/early 2007 but then they had a poll to release things from later on in the timeline like the 'Auction House' sort of system, and people who didn't even play at the time signed up just to vote yes, so they could basically experience the old version of the game but on easymode. This basically killed oldschool. A large amount of the playerbase left shortly after it came out, and the majority that are around now are bots or afk the game while they sleep.
Seems to me like loadouts and similar are going to be there so people who don't give a shit about Doom will play, when a sequel should really be made to appeal to the original fans.
Again, just look what happened to Halo.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
go back to games that actually HAVE loadouts, like Call of Duty or Battlefield.
I literally have no grasp on how this is supposed to present loadouts as a bad thing, beyond a hyperbolic "how dare shooters exist after 2000" mentality.

It's down to implementation. It's only for some modes to begin with, and we don't know how the game will be built to incorporate them. Those games given as bad examples would be awful without their loadouts. The better example would be Halo 4, which betrayed the arena style maps with the loadouts, defeating the purpose of having weapons lying around for people to pick up since crappy pistols and the weapons you get in your loadouts can still be found on the map.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
But the sales, we need to have the sales! Now we just need Kevin Spacey to play the main villain and we got our new money making franchise.

That is how business works mate, they aren't doing a homage for the old fans they are doing games for the big bucks.
No I don't like it either, but when I saw how much modern shooter nonsense got into the SP I fully expected shit to go deeper, I wonder if they will sell premium accounts at double the price also...

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Uh...loadouts in multiplayer shooters have been around for a long time.

Seriously, this news upsets you? Your title even says "for some modes", implying it's not in all modes. And, from what I've been hearing from those who've had a chance to try the early build, the fast-paced simplicity of classic Doom exists in some of the modes.

So yeah. Let's relax, see how the final product turns out, and decide, individually, whether we want to buy it.

Don't like the final product? Don't buy it. The old Dooms still work on modern machines, and the modding/mapping communities are still somewhat active. You can always turn to those for your Doom fix. It's often what I do.
I don't remember what was the first FPS with loadouts before Goldeneye 007.

That is exactly what I am gonna do. Not gonna pre-order it but if god forbid they actually release a demo, that would be my try-before-buy chance.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Dude, its for specific modes, in a game that has a specific mode to create game modes with specific game rules, such as force certain sets of equipment AKA loadouts.

How can you be mad at that?

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Dapper Changeling said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Again, just look what happened to Halo.
It was a mediocre bloated mess of awful with one of the worst fan-bases known to man that got turned into a passable game with an equally bad fanbase?
Oh noes...
And therein lies the problem.
It appeals to people who didn't even like the previous entries in the series.
It'd be better off as a new IP, or hell, a new cod game if they are just going to dumb it down for people who have no taste or skill.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
josemlopes said:
Dude, its for specific modes, in a game that has a specific mode to create game modes with specific game rules, such as force certain sets of equipment AKA loadouts.

How can you be mad at that?
The way you describe it reminds me of Unreal Tourneys mutators. I liked those. I liked those a lot. So yeah, maybe this ain't the end of the world.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Umm...So?
As long as there are modes that don't have load-outs whats the big deal?

Besides, considering that the game will have custom maps I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of chances for purists, such as yourself, to makes maps and modes without load-outs.

Also, while you are well within your rights to complain, did you really think the developers would cater only to the old school Doom fans? especially in this day and age.