Vermintide 2 is how you do a sequel right.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
This fuckin game man, it added so much.

Radically new enemies in the form of Chaos Warriors dedicated to Nurgle. The Chaos Warrior Proper is an even bigger threat then Stormvermin. Along with new enemies such as Skaven Flamethrowers and Plague Monks you does a flurry of attacks and the ever pesky Chaos Sorcerer dedicated to Nurgle.

Boss battles beyond just the Rat Ogre. (Stormfiends are the devil, Chaos Spawns are annoying, Bile Trolls have AOE attacks) and some levels have story bosses you have to deal with and the bosses have Mechanics aswell so its not a tank and spank.

Warcraft like mechanics like a Talent system and class specs like now Markus Kruber the Empire Soldier can be a Foot Knight or the Dwarf Ranger can be a Slayer. And all the classes have passive abilites and Heroic abilities like in DOTA/Overwatch.

Much better loot system (Its basically Loot Boxes, but implemented well, and they are MUCH more preferable than the first game's loot system with Dice Rolls)

And new Maps that feels different so far, and there is a story to be had here aswell.

And this game is HARD, even on Recruit the new enemies are much more dangerous now and you HAVE to work together as a team.

All in all, this is great game:

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm been looking at either this one, or the PS4 release of Space Hulk Deathwing to add to game night with the guys. Can't really decide yet. This looks very Left 4 Dead, which is great, but I've always preferred the 40k setting to Fantasy.
Fantasy just felt like a Chinese knock-off of Lord of the Rings, rather than a stand-alone if goofy IP like 40k.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
I'm been looking at either this one, or the PS4 release of Space Hulk Deathwing to add to game night with the guys. Can't really decide yet. This looks very Left 4 Dead, which is great, but I've always preferred the 40k setting to Fantasy.
Fantasy just felt like a Chinese knock-off of Lord of the Rings, rather than a stand-alone if goofy IP like 40k.
Lord of the Rings don't have Rat people living under the ground with gadgets and gizmos, or Lizard people that rides on Dinosaurs, or Not-Egyptian Skeletons with Robot Statues, or Dark and Edgy Elves that lives on Murder-Fucking, and don't get me started on the Chaos Dwarfs, what other setting has Evil Dwarves?

Heck the main Human Faction is a German themed Empire set in the 15-16th century Backdrop and not Medieval England.

40k is just dumb (fun yes, but dumb), and all they ever focus on in that franchise is Space Marines vs Chaos, and everything else is a sideshow (Orks being the more popular sideshow of course).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Lord of the Rings don't have Rat people living under the ground with gadgets and gizmos, or Lizard people that rides on Dinosaurs, or Not-Egyptian Skeletons with Robot Statues, or Dark and Edgy Elves that lives on Murder-Fucking, and don't get me started on the Chaos Dwarfs, what other setting has Evil Dwarves?

Heck the main Human Faction is a German themed Empire set in the 15-16th century Backdrop and not Medieval England.

40k is just dumb (fun yes, but dumb), and all they ever focus on in that franchise is Space Marines vs Chaos, and everything else is a sideshow (Orks being the more popular sideshow of course).
Yeah, but its all still just High Fantasy elves and dwarves and orks. Its still grizzled Male knights teaming up with slender androgynous Elves and grumpy bearded Dwarves to fight armies of night goblins, undead warriors, Dragons, Dark Lords and the occasional troll.

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, I'll probably pick it up eventually on sale, but I don't really do the online multiplayer thing, so I'm not going to pay full price for it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

Yeah, but its all still just High Fantasy elves and dwarves and orks. Its still grizzled Male knights teaming up with slender androgynous Elves and grumpy bearded Dwarves to fight armies of night goblins, undead warriors, Dragons, Dark Lords and the occasional troll.
My beef with Warhammer is that sometimes they borrowed too much from Fantasy.

I mean why are the Chaos Daemons still the same kind you would see in Fantasy and why are they still fighting with Swords and Axes?

If anything Chaos Daemons in 40k should be more like how Demons in the DOOM games are like, especially the Cyberdemon:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
In vague relation, was the first one decent, or should I just wait on the sequel?

Was looking at it with the multiplayer crew on PS4, but sounds like the first run might've been the kind of tets prototype and not all that great.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Seth Carter said:
In vague relation, was the first one decent, or should I just wait on the sequel?

Was looking at it with the multiplayer crew on PS4, but sounds like the first run might've been the kind of tets prototype and not all that great.
After playing the Second one, the first one now feels bare bones in comparison.

The only thing the first one has is even more maps and with themes for them aswell like the Ubersreik levels, the Vampire Caste Levels, and the Dwarf City levels.

So second one.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

I mean why are the Chaos Daemons still the same kind you would see in Fantasy and why are they still fighting with Swords and Axes?

If anything Chaos Daemons in 40k should be more like how Demons in the DOOM games are like, especially the Cyberdemon:

To be fair, daemon engines are a think. Hellbrutes, ForgeFiends, Heldrakes, MaulerFiends. No points on creative names, but daemon + machine are definitely a thing in 40k. Not as much as they should be granted, Dark Mechanicus should have their own faction, and a Omni Daemon Engine where you can build whatever you want with whatever loadout you want.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

To be fair, daemon engines are a think. Hellbrutes, ForgeFiends, Heldrakes, MaulerFiends. No points on creative names, but daemon + machine are definitely a thing in 40k. Not as much as they should be granted, Dark Mechanicus should have their own faction, and a Omni Daemon Engine where you can build whatever you want with whatever loadout you want.
I know of Daemons like the Soul Grinder, and the Irony is those guys are in the fantasy world aswell:

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Grinders

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
Chinese?

Anyway, disagree. I mean, sure, elements are there, but Fantasy does have an identity that's fairly distinct from LotR. 40K is just as guilty as cobbling from sources (Dune, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Foundation, Fantasy itself, etc.)

Samtemdo8 said:
and don't get me started on the Chaos Dwarfs, what other setting has Evil Dwarves?
Chronicles of Narnia, Hex, Lord of the Rings, and Warcraft (off the top of my head).

Course, of those, Hex is the only one where the dwarves are irredemably evil, while the others only have evil elements.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I fully admit I'm interested in this game, but I'm hesitant to buy it because no one else I know has it.

Maybe I'll get some friends to group buy it when it's on sale.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Silentpony said:
Chinese?

Anyway, disagree. I mean, sure, elements are there, but Fantasy does have an identity that's fairly distinct from LotR. 40K is just as guilty as cobbling from sources (Dune, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Foundation, Fantasy itself, etc.)

Samtemdo8 said:
and don't get me started on the Chaos Dwarfs, what other setting has Evil Dwarves?
Chronicles of Narnia, Hex, Lord of the Rings, and Warcraft (off the top of my head).

Course, of those, Hex is the only one where the dwarves are irredemably evil, while the others only have evil elements.
What evil Dwarves were in Tolkien's world because at best they tend to have morally grey moments.

And the Dark Iron Dwarves of Warcraft later redeemed themselves. And their evil was merely ambition to rule all.

And yeah some Dwarves followed the White Witch.

Never heard of Hex.

And I have played and read enough of Warhammer Fantasy to know it is its own beast entirely. Wanna know a generic fantasy setting with no unique flavor? Eregon.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
What evil Dwarves were in Tolkien's world because at best they tend to have morally grey moments.
The Petty Dwarves come to mind. But it is stated in the appendacies that some dwarves did serve "the Enemy" willingly. A few of them, but they do exist. There's one such clan encountered in LOTRO.

Samtemdo8 said:
And the Dark Iron Dwarves of Warcraft later redeemed themselves. And their evil was merely ambition to rule all.
They may have become more cordial, but for a time, the Dark Irons were the de facto 'evil dwarves.'

Never heard of Hex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex:_Shards_of_Fate

https://www.hextcg.com/story/dwarves/

Wanna know a generic fantasy setting with no unique flavor? Eregon.
I disagree.

If you want to talk about the very first Inheritance book, then yes, Eragon is very bland. However, Paolini does get better as the books go on, in terms of both writing and worldbuilding.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Evil dwarves, eh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duergar_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

More or less the whole dark/edgy trend of the mid 80s-90s saw that sort of thing start cropping up everywhere. D&D added them, Warhammer literally popped into existence in the same period.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
I know of Daemons like the Soul Grinder, and the Irony is those guys are in the fantasy world aswell:

Iirc, there were some hints in old versions that the world of Warhammer Fantasy takes place on some forgotten backwater planet in the 40K universe. Meaning Fantasy Daemons and 40K Daemons look the same because they ARE the same.

It's interesting in concept, even though it doesn't all add up that well (like how Elves are most likely Eldar, but don't seem to need Soul Stones. Slann are still around in Fantasy, but not in 40K. And some other stuff). Don't know if those links are still there in the fluff. Probably not tho.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

Iirc, there were some hints in old versions that the world of Warhammer Fantasy takes place on some forgotten backwater planet in the 40K universe. Meaning Fantasy Daemons and 40K Daemons look the same because they ARE the same.

It's interesting in concept, even though it doesn't all add up that well (like how Elves are most likely Eldar, but don't seem to need Soul Stones. Slann are still around in Fantasy, but not in 40K. And some other stuff). Don't know if those links are still there in the fluff. Probably not tho.
The Old World being part of 40k, and Sigmar being a lost Primarch, was dropped almost immediately.

However, the Warp is the same in both worlds, and creatures from both settings interact through it. The Liber Chaotica includes descriptions of a warrior that can only really be a Chaos Space Marine. During the End Times, the group of heroes stranded in the Warp are aided by someone who's heavily hinted to be Kaldor Draigo, Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights.

Post End Times this is different since lots of people became gods and what not, and Slaanesh got captured (but he's still around in 40k), so the link is broken. But it was definitely there before.

OT: Yeah Vermintide 2 is miles above Vermintide 1. It's also better for solo play since bots are much less retarded now. I don't think it's actually harded though. Recruit is stupid easy, at least, but I've heard Veteran and above are a pain. And there's some balance problems (Hagbane bow OP as all flak, and I say this as a Kerillian player), but overall it's a much better game.

Aug 31, 2012
TheFinish said:
However, the Warp is the same in both worlds, and creatures from both settings interact through it. The Liber Chaotica includes descriptions of a warrior that can only really be a Chaos Space Marine. During the End Times, the group of heroes stranded in the Warp are aided by someone who's heavily hinted to be Kaldor Draigo, Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights.
As an addition, in the old RoC books, you could have Warhammer Chaos warbands get gifted weapons from 40K (with precisely fuck all explanation as to how to integrate the slightly different rules/stat sets, you just had to wing it), or even better, as part of the campaign rules you could a a 40K warband sent to fantasy or vice versa, which as you can imagine was a pretty swift death sentence for the latter.

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
As someone who played a decent amount of VT 1, let me be a little bit of a wet blanket here.

WARNING: Incoming wall of text.

"Vermintide 2 is how you do a sequel right"
Sure, if you ignore how much of a buggy mess it is. There are still so many glitches in that game I'm seriously wondering if anyone bug tested it. The teleporter in the last mission is completely fucked, it removes the host's passive trait after you go through it and the only way to fix is to let yourself get killed completely and respawn. My teammate also got downed while jumping through the teleporter because the game somehow registered him getting fall damage through that.

The bots are just as bad as in the last game. They're shit at fighting, they waste healing items and they'll immediately drop tomes when they see a healing item and then refuse to pick it up again. Once, our Sienna bot completely glitched out and just stood motionless for 5 minutes (and I do mean literally FIVE MINUTES), probably having Ubersreik flashbacks or something. The other time she got stuck on a piece of terrain and couldn't move along with us. Now in the previous games you had mods to iron most of this out, but mod support for VT 2 isn't coming until the end of April afaik.

Most of the new enemies are basically re-skins of the previous ones. The Life Leech is a Packmaster, the Chaos Warriors and Rothelms are basically bigger and meaner Stormvermin (they even do the same overhead remove-all-your-shields big attack), Plague Monks and Berserkers function the same as well. The only two which are legitimately unique are the Warp Fire Thrower (though he kinda seems like a short range Ratling Gunner) and the Blightstormer. Oh and there's the shield and sword Stormvermin, but he's barely any threat, just a ***** to kill because he blocks everything.

The new bosses are definitely a nice addition. That said...

Samtemdo8 said:
Stormfiends are the devil
Stormfiends are quite trivial. Their attack is very easy to dodge and the animation immobilizes the Stormfiend for a good while, not to mention that they have a big weak spot on their back
Samtemdo8 said:
Bile Trolls have AOE attacks
The AOE vomit is a bit of pain in the arse and the Troll is a chore to kill, but it isn't very dangerous in my experience so far.
Samtemdo8 said:
Chaos Spawns are annoying
Chaos Spawns are by far the biggest threat. They have fairly difficult attacks to dodge and they can grab your teammate to chomp him, regain their health and at the end they do a big AOE attack around them that does a shit ton of a damage. Oh, and the bots can't dodge it. At all.

The Rat Ogre seems weaker than in the previous games and is pretty much the easiest boss now, at least in my experience.

Now to stop the hate train a bit, and give the game some praise:
Samtemdo8 said:
Much better loot system (Its basically Loot Boxes, but implemented well, and they are MUCH more preferable than the first game's loot system with Dice Rolls).
Yup, the loot system is much better than in the previous game, no doubt about it.

That said, I have serious reservations regarding the power of your weapon (which is different for every drop and dependant on the rarity of the weapon) affecting how much you can stagger and cleave through your enemies. I much preferred the way in VT 1, where every weapon had a set amount of targets it could hit. But that's just a personal preference.
Samtemdo8 said:
And new Maps that feels different so far, and there is a story to be had here as well.
Yeah, there's a lot of variety in the maps now, although the first one also had a decent amount with all the DLCs. But VT 2 has that variety in the base game which is definitely appreciated.

The fighting system now requires you to be a lot more mobile in general, which is good.

Also, you missed one of the most important improvements: the optimization. The game actually runs well now.

TLDR:
erttheking said:
I fully admit I'm interested in this game, but I'm hesitant to buy it because no one else I know has it.
Wait until the bugs are ironed out and there's mod support implemented. After that it's worth it even full price (at least in my opinion).