Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I still have no idea why this is news-worthy. Someone care to enlighten me what makes this comic so special to Americans?

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Abedeus said:
I still have no idea why this is news-worthy. Someone care to enlighten me what makes this comic so special to Americans?
I honestly don't know.

As for the fact that it's news, it's because it's a gay guy. America hasn't gotten to the point where being gay isn't just a trait of the character, it's still the one defining trait of said character.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I know man. Jughead once ate an entire shark WHEN HE WAS A KID! No one could beat him in a burger eating contest.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Archie has been in Highschool for 70 years, poor guy...
Poor guy? He hasn't aged a bit.

I'm listening to Black Metal at the moment which sort of makes this whole news story cringe worthy.
I'm really not sure what to say... Good that homosexuality is starting to be delivered to a medium on the same level as heterosexuality, I guess.

Shadowseraph

Nov 19, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not. It's pretty forward thinking of them to introduce an openly gay character, though.
I know, right?

Jughead's awesome brain is powered by massive amounts of junk food, how could anyone beat him?

Also, good, good, whatever.
... I feel as though that if this is your only complaint about the new character, then society is either doing something horribly right, or horribly wrong. "Oh fuck me, Jesus! Someone had the nerve, the unmitigated gall, to out-Jughead, Jughead! How dare he!" In a comic book series that has a constantly changing and developing plot, (I AM referring to superhero comics, although I do recognize the irony in claiming that stories centered around individuals in brightly-colored latex who use their incredible powers to save the world from similarly attired individuals who think that the best way to solve all their problems is with ray guns have a constantly changing and developing plot.) a character that can match the abilities of one of the main characters is often revered for their prowess and the differing personalities of the two rivals makes for an interesting dynamic.

That's why characters like Venom, Hush, Sinestro, Bizarro, Sabretooth, Red Hulk, and Prometheus are so fun. Because they make for a contrast that allows the two characters to build off of each other adds an element of uncertainty to every encounter. Will Spawn win this one, or is Redeemer going to come out on top again?

I know it's hard to accept, but there's always going to be someone better than us at some point in time. While the U.S. would love to claim that it has the highest standardized test scores, the best athletes around, and the most flawless system of government in the world, as well as being the most wealthy, spoiled, and forcible of it's belief on other nations, it can't be the best at everything. Sure, it's the most pompous dick-hole nation on the globe, but who knows? Maybe there's an even more pompous dick-hole nation on a planet we have yet to encounter. And when we discover that rival, we'll have a chance to compare cock sizes and constantly aim to one-up each other in douche-baggery.

My concern is how the hell do they think they're going to bring any worthwhile character conflict out of this. Whoops! Veronica accidentally hit on a gay dude! Moment of awkwardness, and then it passes. Great job, Archie Comics. I look forward to the Sonic the Hedgehog story arc where Sonic walks around knothole with some toilet paper trailing from his foot. What a fascinating idea. Veronica and Archie have never really been an official thing, and neither have Betty and Archie. We all know it's there, but Archie comics is NEVER going to break their perfect status quo. (Batman almost did this with the killing off of Bruce Wayne, and while saddened by the loss of my favoritest character ever, I thought it was a bold move and was excited to see some actual change and closure for once... And then I found out that they fully intend to bring him back, the cunts. Marvel did this with Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America as well, and I am equally disappointed in them for bringing him back from the grave. Can't anyone stay dead in comic books?! I know it's sad to lose these beloved characters, but you can't just keep digging up their corpses to parade in front of us for another 10 years, we're getting tired of it!)

And what about this new character? If he's the only gay male in Riverdale, what is he going to do with himself? Hit on the other, straight males? That'll get old and boring really fast. I feel like this new character is merely the token black character in a movie or T.V. series, thrown in for the purpose of making nobody in the audience feel left out and for defusing any rumors that the company is prejudiced. Perhaps one of the other characters could open up and come out of the closet as a result of this new character being introduced on the scene. My suggestion: Jughead. They already seem to have a budding relationship with any interesting dynamic as potentially friendly or unfriendly rivals, and Jughead has been single for the longest time anyways. (At least to my knowledge.) That would put everything into a spin of activity and intrigue. Revealing that a character is gay and then not doing anything with it is like revealing that Peter Parker has a mole shaped like a desk lamp on his ass. It's interesting, (kind of) but it doesn't really serve any purpose.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
meganmeave said:
"Ratings dropping? Make someone gay!"
Hey, it's working for the Enquirer/Globe/Examiner/[insert cheap tabloid here]. Seriously, there's a new "gay scandal" on their front page every week.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Is he going to be the only gay character in the comic? His dating prospects aren't going to be all that good then are they?

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
Well, I'm American and I never read an Archie comic
I am CANADIAN and I love reading Archie comic books.

On Topic: HOLY COW! that is interesting.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Wolfiesden said:
jamesworkshop said:
Yep you had better lock up your daughters when Gay men are on the prowl
It has nothing to do with gay men (or women). Its the culture acceptance of deviant behavior, sexual or otherwise (ie criminal etc).
Don't worry I meant it as a joke I just found your responce humorous

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Le Tueur said:
AngloDoom said:
Wolfiesden said:
jamesworkshop said:
Yep you had better lock up your daughters when Gay men are on the prowl
It has nothing to do with gay men (or women). Its the culture acceptance of deviant behavior, sexual or otherwise (ie criminal etc).
Woah!

Did you just compare criminals to homosexuals? I see we have a time-traveller in our midsts.

In other news, that's quite a big step forward. From what I know about Archie comics (this thread / Superdickery) they're a very 'old fashioned' kind of website. If they introduce this character's sexuality casually that's quite a big step.
As a person who has taken a lot of Criminal Justice courses it technically is. Fellatio, Cunnilingus, Buggery and etc are all technically listed as "deviant behavior". So am I saying homosexuality is wrong? No. Am I saying that sexual acts involved with it are listed as this? Yes.
Mind if I ask when you look said courses? As I have taken psychology 'courses' and 'deviance' is incredibly hard to define. Indeed, trying to define anyone as 'the norm' is what keeps psychologists up at night. Especially with homosexuality; it's hard to argue against something being 'natural' when it's communicated by brainy men living in steel flats using the interwebs.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that all the above behaviours also exist within heterosexual couples?

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
I lol'd pretty hard at that.
OT: I read a few in my day. Odd that what I thought was a mostly conservative comic introduces a gay character.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
This smells more like their trying to drum-up some publicity and interest for a comic that is being read less and less.

Or in my case, never at all. Because I didn't think they were that funny.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
bobknowsall said:
Oh god, I'm having Chasing Amy flashbacks.
Exactly what I was thinking.

BANKY: Archie, alright! Archie and the Riverdale gang were a pure and fun-lovin' bunch. You can't find dysfunction in those comics, because they were just flat out wholesome.
HOOPER: Archie and Jughead were lovers. *sips his drink*
BANKY: Shut the fuck up.
HOOPER: It's true. Archie was the ***** and Jughead was the butch - that's why Jughead wears that crown-looking hat all the time: he the king, of queen Archie's world.
Hahaha.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
No. NO-ONE beats Jughead! NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!NO-ONE!

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Archie has been in Highschool for 70 years, poor guy...
As a Movie I can't recall goes: "I love High school girls man I keep getting older they just keep stayin the same" or something to that affect.

If they have to mention Kevin Keller sexual orientation before hand... marketing ploy?