Veronica Mars Trailer Shows Where All That Kickstarter Money Went

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Veronica Mars Trailer Shows Where All That Kickstarter Money Went

Eight months and $5.7 million dollars later, is it a dream come true for every Veronica Mars fan?

Well that was fast: Less than a year after its epic Kickstarter campaign, there's now a theatrical trailer for the Kickstarter-funded Veronica Mars movie. The project, created by series creator Rob Thomas, walked away from their Kickstarter project with $5.7 million back in April. Much of the series' original cast has returned for the film, including Ms. Mars herself, Kristen Bell.

In the movie, Veronica Mars has given up her career as a private eye to become a lawyer in New York. She returns to sleuthing when former boyfriend Logan is accused of murder. Also, there's a high school reunion, so there's two reasons for her to go back. How could she say no?

Though it's not the first footage of the film released to the public - backers have been getting bits and pieces throughout production - this is the film's first "theatrical trailer." Why does a Kickstarter movie need a "theatrical trailer?" Due to the zeal of the film's backers, Veronica Mars will be shown in "select theaters."

Veronica Mars will be available, both digitally and in theaters, March 14.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1R93UMqlk]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yay!!!!

And I love the fact that Mac is back too.

The only problem I have with this is that they seem to have retconned the shit out of it. The trailer for season 4 on the season 3 DVDs shows her going to Quantico to pursue a job as a federal agent.

Either way, I'm psyched for this.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Seems like quality stuff. I'm still not on board with the idea of people paying for a movie twice, but at least they got their money's worth.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Yay!!!!

And I love the fact that Mac is back too.

The only problem I have with this is that they seem to have retconned the shit out of it. The trailer for season 4 on the season 3 DVDs shows her going to Quantico to pursue a job as a federal agent.

Either way, I'm psyched for this.
Well remembering that season 4 doesn't actually exist, it can't be retconned

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
m72_ar said:
Did they not make season 4?

OT: Man, I didn't know the show had such a zealous fanbase.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Seems like quality stuff. I'm still not on board with the idea of people paying for a movie twice, but at least they got their money's worth.
Yeah, that thought popped into my head as well. Where is the ticket sales money going?

I think it's pretty cool that the kickstarter worked, but I'm curious.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The escapist seems a bit down on the Veronica Mar's movie why is that?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
synobal said:
The Escapist has a lot of folk who seem to be drawn to making negative comments for the sake of negativity. Maybe its their way of keeping the Force in balance? *shrug*
OT: I never really watched the series but this is cool that the fanbase is getting one more crack at it. Kind like how I was really psyched for a new season of Arrested Development when Netflix took it on. I wasn't disappointed either so I hope the Veronicites end up liking this.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
synobal said:
The Escapist has a lot of folk who seem to be drawn to making negative comments for the sake of negativity. Maybe its their way of keeping the Force in balance? *shrug*
OT: I never really watched the series but this is cool that the fanbase is getting one more crack at it. Kind like how I was really psyched for a new season of Arrested Development when Netflix took it on. I wasn't disappointed either so I hope the Veronicites end up liking this.
Veronica Mars fans are called Marshmellows but yes there is a lot of excitement for the movie.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Makabriel said:
Queen Michael said:
Yeah, that thought popped into my head as well. Where is the ticket sales money going?

I think it's pretty cool that the kickstarter worked, but I'm curious.
If you donated money then you get to see the film for free as a digital download...how is that not obvious....
The money from the ticket sales will likely go to the shows creator who will probably be on a percentage deal, IP holder which in this case is WB and Kristen Bell who is also probably on % of profit deal how is that not obvious...

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
m72_ar said:
Did they not make season 4?

OT: Man, I didn't know the show had such a zealous fanbase.
They don't.
What he said is correct, on the DVD version they kinda made Season 4 Trailer, where Veronica joined the FBI.
But remembering Season 4 was never made I have no problem if they decided to go the other way.

Teen Noir Drama wise (granted there arent't too many competition in the genre), Veronica Mars is a very good show

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I can picture myself getting kicked out of the theater for public masturbation already.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
I can picture myself getting kicked out of the theater for public masturbation already.
had you donated to the kickstarter you could be wanking in the comfort of your own home. and people say kickstarter rewards are shit