Very Awkward Situation with Parents

sirdoctor

May 11, 2013
I'm an 18 year old male living in the uk. One day my parents were out and i got a little bored, so, just out of interest i rang up the playboy channel hotline. I was very bored and I was just doing it out of interest! Not really out of, ahem, randiness. I didn't talk to the girl but went on the listen in option. Well it was a waste of time anyway, just listening to this bloke talking to her saying she had nice green eyes. I did it a second time another week, once again, just slightly bored. Anyways, I did this on my mobile. My mum recieves the bill for my mobile....

Thought I'd just let that sink in. Now I'm on contract, will this still show up on the bill? If so, will it just be a number or will it say in big capital letters PLAYBOY HOTLINE?

And how should i handle the situation if she does see it? :S

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Never been in this situation before but if it's like other call and get charged things there will be a separate charge that will have to be explained. Like if you don't have a data plan say a friend sent you a picture on your phone or they are on a different service and you got charged.

Now I remember one time i ended up getting like a 50 dollar charge for speaking to an HP rep for an hour(moral of the story pay attention to whether or not it's says 24 hour free assistance) but I had no idea from the bill that that is what it was from. It was only after I counted up my text's and estimated my voice usage that I said there was no way and it had to be something else. So at least for your standard verizon bill I don't think there will be any explicit listings for who you called unless it's asked for, which I believe might be an additional charge.

So I wanna say your free and clear but this is really me guessing and hopefully setting your mind at ease because honestly if it does say in big bold letters Playboy you can't do shit. Instead just relax and enjoy the current freedom that could very well be in jeopardy in a couple weeks.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
You thought it was a waste of time... so you did it again?

If you are 18 what business does your mother even have with your phone bill? You are an adult. You should be paying your own expenses, especially if you are going to waste money on such frivolous things. Tell your mother that you don't want her receiving your phone bill anymore, and then you don't have to worry about her discovering sex hotlines or expensive unexplained charges.

Somnambulistic

Aug 28, 2012
Just explain it that you got bored and did it for kicks, if she confronts you about it. The more casual the better, imo. Hopefully if you don't make a big deal out of it then maybe she won't either if she even notices.

I would think she might chalk it up to a young man's curiosity though lol.

ETA: A lot of those companies rely on discretion to keep customers too, so they might list themselves under a different company when they show up on statements or mail things. I know the adult store around here doesn't list themselves by name on your bank statement it's like J L R companies or something like that rather than the actual store name.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Two options.

First off, tell the truth. Not my favorite option but eh.

Second, lie like your life depends on it. Your friend nicked your phone and dialed it. Pocked dialed by accident. Even miss dial might work.

Of course what, and even if you do such a thing, depends heavily on how your mum is towards you and how gullible she is.

joemcg20

Mar 3, 2013
Depends what your parents are like aswell, would they be pissed? i know mine would be more laughing at me and making jokes, similar to when i'm hungover and the like.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
If you really want to lie, say your friends did it as a joke. Really, if your friends are anything like mine that's entirely believable.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
If it does appear on your bill, which i doubt it will these company's have pride in there privacy, otherwise they would limit there user base, just say Left your phone someplace in the open, like your work place or school or uni, and you eventually got it back from your boss/teacher or something like that, sure itll make you look irresponsible, but... you wont have to admit this one. While i dont condone lying but unless your parents are lather lax in this situation i would recommend it.

in other words just use what this awesome song from the past says , the old sage advice of " wassnt me"

edit: annotations were annoying

On a side note, if you do have any questionable content in your room or on your computer, it would be a good idea to get rid of it, or at least hide it well, until the next bill comes in, if they find that you called one of those lines they will investigate everything, and well it will just make the situation worse, damage control time.