Video Editing "Overlay" Animation and Flashback Recording/Capture

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I am returning to amateur video editing, something I haven't done as a hobby, Youtuber, for school, etc. for a while now.

I've tried asking this among friends and family on Facebook (some of whom I'm still waiting for a reply on) and reddit. Now I come here. So...

[ol]
[li]What are among your favorite free to low-mid cost programs to use for video editing of any kind? So, anything from transitions to effects to easily understood and easily executed crops and cuts to overlays to 2D or 3D animation and modeling and so on and so forth? I have a limited budget. I have every free program on this [/li] list

[li]I have more recently tried to delve into overlaying, particularly animations (which I'm assuming is not how you refer to it in the case of animations, but it's the only video editing term I know that's similar enough). Kind of like this video:
Only, the pop-up animations of the cartoon version of Youtuber, Kaiserneko, and the logo would be going on while the main video was running in the background rather than the static screenshot image they have. I haven't found any good programs that let you accomplish this. Those that do let you overlay have limited options, usually only letting you insert static images you transition into that come from the editor's library.[/li]

[li]I recently played some Halo with a friend on his Xbox One and for the first time we recorded our 1vs1 matches. One of the features of the Xbox One is the ability to take a video capture of the last 30 seconds if you suddenly say "Xbox - Record That", something Elgato (which I don't have but have thought about from time to time) would call "flashback recording".

Some of the recording I want to do would be that of a game on my PC screen. Problem is that many good video moments happen naturally rather than when you are recording from the get-go and "waiting" for it. So, does anyone know of any software, rather than hardware like the Elgato or just a camera that can create visual feedback when recording a screen, that has this feature built in? Many times I've recorded in the past using a planned "from the get-go" recording formula. I'd get something very long and relatively big in data size with something very small worth cutting out of it to actually use. The ability to just take what recently happened and spontaneously, retroactively capture it would be a big help![/li]
[/ol]

Appreciate any advice everybody!

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Sony Movie Studio is a reasonably cheap video editing solution that will allow you to do what you've mentioned though if you want to overlay animation over video you'll probably have to put a green screen in your animation and key it out for transparency.

For recording video clips with flashback you could use ShadowPlay however that requires you have a high-end NVidia GPU. Apparently the AMD Gaming Evolved client supports the same thing but I haven't tried it.