Video Game Character You Associate Most With?

Dec 21, 2011
A very good evening to everyone!

I was just wondering - rather than the BEST character, or the COOLEST, or the TOUGHEST - those are all boring questions - which video game character do you feel most SIMILAR TO?

That could be because of how they react to situations, how they look, how they talk - whatever - just the gaming character that you thought "Wow - they're a lot like me".

For me, I would have to say either the lead guy from Bulletstorm (always cracking jokes and causing mayhem) - or Gordon Freeman (goatee glasses guy who loves his science).

Or do you feel that you have nothing in common with ANY game character?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
See, the problem is that video game characters do cool things while I...oh.....I made myself sad

Well...

Probably Commander Shepard (or really any Bioware-made main character). Every time I play games like that, I always make the choices I want to make, regardless of the morality meter. Generally, it ends up being mostly paragon anyway but still...

If that doesn't count, I'll have to get back to you.

Dec 21, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
See, the problem is that video game characters do cool things while I...oh.....I made myself sad

Well...

Probably Commander Shepard (or really any Bioware-made main character). Every time I play games like that, I always make the choices I want to make, regardless of the morality meter. Generally, it ends up being mostly paragon anyway but still...

If that doesn't count, I'll have to get back to you.
Yeah, if the game offers enough customisation to allow you to feel a connection with that character then yes it definitely counts.

Shepard is a close one for me - I'm not as evil in real life as I usually play in Mass Effect - and I usually play as Fem Shep just because you can!

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Nigel Danvers from the Lost Crown

He's the master of looking at and commenting on things, and the ONLY game hero with a working class English flat cap.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ehhh... it's kinda tricky. Most video game characters are poorly defined badasses.

I on the other hand am most decidedly not a badass.

April Ryan from The Longest Journey comes to mind. Partly because she's a young penniless person who isn't sure what she wants to do with herself. Also, something about the unflappable and matter-of-fact way she deals with crazy shit struck a chord with me.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I choose squall from ff8 . I find we have the same , not caring attitude wanting to distance ourselves from others , not taking on their burdens . Se are even alike as we turn to complete saps when we find someone special in our lives .

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011

Yu Narukami: The shear definition of plain.

He's just a normal kid who's parents sent him to a small town because of work issues.

Best thing is... we both get all of the bitches.

[small]I lied about the bitches part...[/small]

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
Delita Hyral from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Every time I go back and play this game, I marvel at how similar we are, no matter how much I've changed in the time between playthroughs.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Bayonetta.

Bwahaha in all seriousness, I have to say Tali'Zorah. When she is first encountered she is mainly shy, reserved, and smart, but she gets aggressive when she needs to. I really loved how she progressed as a character in the games... I kind of felt like it was telling about my own personality, in a way. There's also the fact that she is often trying to balance out all the sides, trying to make everyone happy as much as she can manage. She's relatively tolerant of other ideals, unless they are personally contradicting. And even then, she eventually got over it (i.e. Legion).

I also say "Veeeery carefully" as an answer all the time when I don't feel like giving a legitimate response. When I stumbled across that scene in the third game, I about died.

(cough she also hooks up with Garrus cough cough)

Great thread by the way.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
There's a few, but I guess projection plays a small part in a few of these choices.

Kate Walker from Syberia 1 & 2: seeing her evolve from a subservient law clerk to a kickass attorney with a backbone was pretty cool. I identified with her subservient side and I more or less agreed that I had to grow a backbone from time to time.

Chell from Portal: that's where the projection concept comes into play. Chell, like most of Valve's protagonists, is an empty shell I'm given to fill in with whatever I want. So naturally, I'm bound to feel some sort of connection to her. Chell essentially becomes a "redux" of the player's thought processes and personality.

Nathan Drake: I don't know - maybe it's less identification and more a case of empathy, but I certainly feel a connection with Nate while I'm playing. The way the voice acting, the mocap and the set pieces all come together gets to me, and I can dig into any of the three Uncharteds like I do in any favorite summer bestseller of mine.

There's books I could read six, seven or eight times in a row, and then there's games I'd run infinite New Game Plusses of, if I could. Anything with Drake in it makes that list.

Mass Effect: obvious answer is obvious. My first MaleShep was an Auto-Leveled Vanguard, and I absolutely had to run a New Game + for the sake of being able to redo some of my choices as a pure Paragon. The Renegade choices I couldn't avoid are all things I *can* avoid on a second playthrough, so I practically spent two weeks on a fairly destructive ME binge just to redo everything.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Probably Daxter. I can't really explain it but he just does things I would do.
In real life I am sort of the side kick in most situations. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
-shrug- The closest I can come up with at the moment is Aaron from the Sinnoh Elite Four.

We both like bugs. We get irritated easily. We like perfecting our obsessions?

-shrug- both of our eyes are green? xP

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Well,

I am terrified of dying
I don't like getting burned
Fire based weapons are fun as hell
I love wearing a helmet with my armor, and my helmet must look cool
I am relatively young but not some kid
When I get in the mood I tend to be reckless
If I were to be in an actual war, I might get lucky a few times because of my squad, then die horribly

I think I win this thread for being the most spot on, I am Ben Carmine

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
To be brutally honest, I related a lot to what this sorry bastard [http://guides.gamepressure.com/deusexhumanrevolution/gfx/word/266143546.jpg] had to say.

On a less depressing note however, Arcade Gannon from Fallout New Vegas. He's reasonable, and not overzealous in his opinions, but there are lines he doesn't cross. He believes in the ideal of freedom, but understands when authority is necessary. He's unaggressive and kind, with a sense of humor (sorta.)

I have an aggressive streak that he doesn't, but ADD medication does that, so who knows. Maybe if he did Jet. :v

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
MrMixelPixel said:
-shrug- The closest I can come up with at the moment is Aaron from the Sinnoh Elite Four.

We both like bugs. We get irritated easily. We like perfecting our obsessions?

-shrug- both of our eyes are green? xP

I must say that if I don't win this thread, you do because:

A. You actually used a gym leader BEYOND gen 1
B. You used a gym leader as your comparison
C. Originality

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Niko Bellic

If I don't shave that's how I end up looking, plus we both have a sexy accent.
There are some situations where my reaction would be identical to his. I can't really identify that much with other GTA characters that much, even though I think they have some of the best character arcs ever written.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I'm taller and thinner than my older brother, who is a lot more successful and well known than I am. Sometimes people say we could be twins, as we do look quite similar. Most of the time I'm relegated to second player, but occasionally I get my turn in the spotlight. While I'm not have the most physical prowess, I'm intensely loyal to the people I care about. I have distinctive hat, to the point where some people only know me for wearing it. Who am I?

Blondefool

Feb 24, 2012
Edge Vanhite from Atelier Iris 3:

Quiet and honest with a cool head and takes the sensible route! Also keeps his romantic feelings hidden for a while, which describes me to a tee! Plus he does alchemy and I love to mix various things together mwahahahaha...er I mean I enjoy cooking