Video Game Cover Art Gets Classy

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Loved the Dwarf Fortress one. I should really start playing that game again.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
hmmmm... am i the only one here who doesn't think those are all that great? i mean, yeah, they're ok i suppose, but i honestly don't see anything wrong with the original box art for most of those games....

i'm detecting the fetid odor of elitism.........
No you're not, I don't see the big deal here either.
I'll just leave it at "they're ok."

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
hmmmm... am i the only one here who doesn't think those are all that great? i mean, yeah, they're ok i suppose, but i honestly don't see anything wrong with the original box art for most of those games....

i'm detecting the fetid odor of elitism.........
While I agree with the sentiment that boxart is normally lacking in art I also agree with you that many of these are just stupid.

I like the Goldeneye, Dwarf Fortress, and Mirror's Edge ones (among others) because those actually describe what's in the game and aren't just some colored shapes approximating characters or random guns.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
It's just a bit of fun for the most part, but there are a few there that would be an improvement on some of the less imaginitive boxes that are around. It's interesting to see the regional differences, the US is often left with the worst examples of unappealing box art.

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
Simplicity (queue Minimalism) is OK a lot of the time but if it isn't used to present an extremely good idea it can come across as lazy or pretentious. I think none of these boxarts are more classy than what we usually get. They may look OK design-wise, I mean everything is in place, but that's about it.

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
Some of these are really good, mainly Moss' and the ones you linked to, but most are just random stuff photoshopped together in no real artistic or meaningful way. Still, it's an interesting idea.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
To see the best of them without all the forum stuff as well go here: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/classy-video-games.php

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Way too simple, it looks like something I could do in Paint in about 10 minutes. I was expecting more.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
To see the best of them without all the forum stuff as well go here: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/classy-video-games.php
Thanks so much for this link.
I already have the Penguin Classics as art in my study so I am loving some of these. Killer 7 and Left for Dead are particularly good.

I have also been inspired and will as soon as my design is realised be uploading for all to see...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
MrGFunk said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I already have the Penguin Classics as art in my study so I am loving some of these. Killer 7 and Left for Dead are particularly good.

I have also been inspired and will as soon as my design is realised be uploading for all to see...
Always happy to help. Also how did you come across a thread 8 months old?

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008

That's cool. Some of these are improvements, I would definately be more obliged to buy KOTOR if it looked like that.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
MrGFunk said:
thenumberthirteen said:

Always happy to help. Also how did you come across a thread 8 months old?
Pre-thread Search in full effect - I know some guys who will love it...

I'm right now getting my wife to help me make my design.