Video Game Crash?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
If you mean a "AAA crash" then there is a increasing possibility that it will happen.

A more complete crash is doubtful as gaming has diversified far beyond the conditions that led to the 1983 crash.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Xcell935 said:
Judging by companies horrible PR, scumbag business practices, and just overall lack of respect for gaming and gamers as a whole, if this kind of behavior goes on/unnoticed by the community (which so far isn't and won't be anytime soon...)
By that logic, gaming should have crashed like a decade ago.
I don't recall having DLC, blatant fanboyism, 60$ half games, or even much to do with online multiplayer back in 2003 unless you had a LAN cable.

No, I remember quality 8 hour games, small but nice communities that grew into more for every game that came after, nothing but trailers at E3, and Battlefront 2/Super Smash Bros. with my friends because local multiplayer and coop was our better version social networking.
Also didn't EA's sports' old motto used to be "Its in the game" and it stayed true to that motto?

Who knows, I might just be jaded. Maybe gaming has been dead for years and I'm just naive.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, but while some big BUSINESSES might crash, the gaming industry is now too powerful to crash itself. It's all very simple, really. If someone falls, even a number of people fall, someone ELSE wins and picks up the slack with the sudden increase in capital.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
Does anyone who post topics like this even understand the causes of the crash? It seems that they do not.
Here were some of the conditions that led to the 83 crash.
1. Atari had a near strangle hold on the entire industry, which at the time was a very niche thing relegated more towards hobbyists.
2. You had the choice of 14+ consoles to choose from.
3. There was a significant lack of publishing control at that time. Any bedroom programmer could put out a game on the systems and because of that games that were simply broken were sold. (No not the popular use of the work broken, but games that were utterly broken such as not being about to start a game at all)
4. Because of their strangle hold when Atari went down just about th entire industry went down with it.

Those are some of the most prominent causes of the 83 crash.
You are aware that multiple reasons can cause a crash, right?

The housing market crash, the dotcom bubble's crash, the Great Depression, the gaming crash of '83 and the tulip mania's crash happened for entirely different reasons.

A market can crash because it is revealed to be entirely fictional, built on hopes and fantasies. It can crash because of a sudden stock market panic. It can crash because one or a handful of lead participants go bankrupt. It can crash because of overconfidence, and assuming infinite growth.

FalloutJack said:
Sorry, but while some big BUSINESSES might crash, the gaming industry is now too powerful to crash itself. It's all very simple, really. If someone falls, even a number of people fall, someone ELSE wins and picks up the slack with the sudden increase in capital.
That sounds like a semantic debate. Yeah of course, the entire concept of selling games won't be eternally destroyed, but then again, neither was it in '83. Activision, EA, and several other companies have survived though that crash. Even Atari itself survived, and only lost dominance.

The dotcom bubble didn't destroy Amazon and eBay either.

Nevertheless, when number of big businesses of a given industry crash at the same time, that's what we call a crash of that industry.

If, say, next year, Microsoft and Ninendo would drop their hardware businesses, and after losing that much of their target platforms, EA and Activision would need to cut 70% of their employees, while Square Enix and Ubisoft an Capcom go bankrupt, that would be commonly called "the video game crash of '14", and not "The Microsoft-Nintendo-EA-Activision-Square-Enix-Ubisoft-Capcom crash".

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Entitled said:
The first one pretty much sets the precident and cannot be followed because it wasn't about companies crashing. It was about the market drying up, for a time. Companies suffering back then was an effect, not the cause. It was, as this time allegedly, due to a massive DO NOT WANT from the customers, all of this during a weaker point in gaming market history where it could have potentially been destroyed. Yes, it could have, because the interest and the technology level made it only a curiosity back then, as easily endable as Beta-Max.

That's the basis of MY theory. The actual great crash was indeed a CRASH, from which the victim could have died at this make-it-or-break-it moment in history. Now that the market and the demand is so much stronger, that this is a viable product capable of making money no matter WHO is in charge, whole giant businesses could collapse and gaming would be here to stay. There will never be another crash. Any crash you would call a crash now is a pretender to the throne, a blip of sensationalism made to provoke a reaction only.

This isn't a question of semantics. It's perspective. I don't think the effect of the real one can be duplicated.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A console crash maybe, the P.C is strong enough to survive. Even if it's just indies games that are being made, it's easier to make them for P.C than consoles.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
When did we go from "computer gaming is dead" to "the entire gaming hobby will die" again? I've been listening to people(like the Epic assholes who are now saying the complete opposite.) say that computer gaming is dead for years now, it's still kicking. When Square and EA make the retarded statements about games sales they've been making of late I worry but if they can't see the writing on the wall their IP's will probably be left for someone with better vision, I do not believe games will stop being produced or anything drastic and if anything what might massively lose in the next few years is the console market, but I'm fine with that.

Xcell935 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Xcell935 said:
Judging by companies horrible PR, scumbag business practices, and just overall lack of respect for gaming and gamers as a whole, if this kind of behavior goes on/unnoticed by the community (which so far isn't and won't be anytime soon...)
By that logic, gaming should have crashed like a decade ago.
I don't recall having DLC, blatant fanboyism, 60$ half games, or even much to do with online multiplayer back in 2003 unless you had a LAN cable.

No, I remember quality 8 hour games, small but nice communities that grew into more for every game that came after, nothing but trailers at E3, and Battlefront 2/Super Smash Bros. with my friends because local multiplayer and coop was our better version social networking.
Also didn't EA's sports' old motto used to be "Its in the game" and it stayed true to that motto?

Who knows, I might just be jaded. Maybe gaming has been dead for years and I'm just naive.
DLC = Expansions, same deal but usually just one purchase instead of many smaller ones.

Blatant fanboyism = All around since ever, especially surrounding consoles, console wars have been a thing since the 8 bit era.

60$ half games = Well the 60 dollar games we have Activision to thank for and it's a new thing. If by half games you mean unfinished or in dire need of patching then you're wrong. KOTOR 2 is the strongest example I can think of about the last decade but there were others.

Online multiplayer = Maybe not on consoles but it was already a thing since the late 90's in the PC, not a new thing by any stretch of the imagination. We were all playing Quake and Age of Empires and Starcraft back then, there were also more lan parties.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Sounds like you are overglorifying the historical epicness of that particular event.

Like I said, there were plenty of companies that pretty much sat through that crash. In fact, the entire PC market wasn't in danger. What WAS in danger, was the old console business model as we knew it until then, and that indeed died, and got replaced by a different one.
Maybe if it would have ended even moredifferently, then now living room consoles would be a niche, and gaming would mostly happen on PCs and handhelds. Or maybe it would have led to the PC filling the empty space in the living room. But to say that the soncept of gaming was at stake, is an exaggeration.

Yet this was still big enough to call it a "games industry crash".

This is simply how language works. You can make up your own theories about what the word "crash" ought to mean, but all you will achieve is derailing every thread that was started for discussing looming industry crisis, (that the average person would simply describe as a "crash"), just to bring up your own quirky definition.

During the banking crash of 2008, no one came up to start nitpicking how technically only SOME banks collapsed but banking is still around. Because it's so OBVIOUS that whole industrial segments won't just disappear overnight, the massive crisis and series of failures inside an industry *is* what we call a crash, nothing more and nothing less.

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
It definitely seems like a crash is happening. Two of the three consoles were loss leaders even before the recession, made by massive feuding corporations that caused an insane glut of third party developers and video game schools, and one of those corporations is going broke (Sony) while the other is basically a software company that only got into the business to keep the other off its turf (Microsoft). Meanwhile, the third console is made by a company that isn't even really connected to the industry (Nintendo).
Also, video game crashes don't affect PC. PC gaming is a technical thing, not an industry thing. Even the MMOs.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Does anyone who post topics like this even understand the causes of the crash? It seems that they do not.
Here were some of the conditions that led to the 83 crash.
1. Atari had a near strangle hold on the entire industry, which at the time was a very niche thing relegated more towards hobbyists.
2. You had the choice of 14+ consoles to choose from.
3. There was a significant lack of publishing control at that time. Any bedroom programmer could put out a game on the systems and because of that games that were simply broken were sold. (No not the popular use of the work broken, but games that were utterly broken such as not being about to start a game at all)
4. Because of their strangle hold when Atari went down just about th entire industry went down with it.

Those are some of the most prominent causes of the 83 crash.
So every crash is the 1980s crash?

Hell, most of those points fit today with exceptions and alterations. Big publishers own the majority the IPs that are developed today, consoles and accessories are expensive, development focus on the causal market; an unstable market which as a result lead to shorter development cycles and poorer quality of development.

Sure, we might not see a crash like the 1980s but we'll see the 2010s crash.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
The way thing's are going triple AAA games are becoming too much of a niche while companies and developers go out of the way to shrink the market with terrible consumer treatment in the form of DRM and always online. If the new systems are as anti consumer friendly as they are saying as well as having no backwards compatibility they will never be able to make the money back making the games for these new systems.

I could care less honestly, the independent / small developer team scene is thriving. What do I care if the big companies who go out of their way to treat us like trash fall? I'll take Royal Trap or Retro City Rampage over halo 4 any day.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
chinangel said:
captcha: stand by me
When you're not stroo-ooong and I'll be your friend, I'll help you caaaaarryyy on!

#Ahem#

Nah, I think if some cataclysm does befall gaming it'll be a sputter and phutt rather than a crash.

THQ's already gone, EA is downsizing, Activision is basically CoD/Warcraft-ivision and the biggest publishers are ever more reliant on a few blockbusters to make themselves work...

...but at the same time indies are going great guns, Valve continues to grow and mobile/handheld is in rude health.

I can see a lot (more) of the well established developers quietly getting shuttered in the next three years as well as EA steadily becoming EA sports/Battlefield/bugger all else. But a flat out crash? Nah.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Most of the casual gaming market has drifted off to mobile devices and social networks. And for the hardcode gamer demographic, the gaming PC is having a bit of a comeback too. This is likely because of how long the current generation has lasted (longest console generation in history), which gave PCs more than enough time to overtake current consoles' technical abilities by a lot. Meanwhile, consoles are becoming much more PC-like, and Valve is promising to deliver a console-like PC. And most major games have multi-platform releases so we're basically seeing the console and PC gaming markets kind of converging into each other.

So I think we're heading into not really a crash but a change in the definition of what a game console is at its core.

That said, we're still awaiting official confirmation on rumors of always-on DRM and the potential elimination of the used game market. If the worst of those rumors are true, then the gaming industry is in trouble of a major backlash against anti-consumer policies, in which at least a couple of big publishers are going to go down hard.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Question: why would the console market crashing destroy gaming markets that have nothing to do with consoles? Why would Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo failing in the next generation mean that people suddenly threw their computers in the bin and stopped using Steam? Would people just throw their iPhones away, closing down the app store?

What will probably happen is a collapse of the bloated AAA industry, which is in no way a bad thing. Big companies like EA have lost their way and become blinded by money, eventually it's going to come back and bite them in the arse, but all it means in the current market is that smaller, indie developers will get a chance to take the limelight and probably, ultimately start the whole cycle all over again.

But to answer your question: There is never going to be another crash like the one in the 80's because the market is now so fragmented it would be literally impossible, short of a complete financial meltdown in every facet of the economy.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
No. Multiple reasons why not:

- Nintendo will never crash or leave the industry (stupid amount of cash simply sitting in the bank/ videogame-first company)
- Microsoft is fighting to rule the living room and videogames are a part of that (strong emphasis on "part")
- PlayStation compliments all of Sony's other ventures and is a good place to test new ideas on a strong market
- Indie developers are HUGE right now (more quality competition = stronger market)
- Activision/Blizzard are incredibly strong right now and will be for at least another 10 years
- No matter how many "hardcore" gamers boycott a publisher's business practices, they're still a small minority of the market

What I think might change:

- EA will move towards primarily mobile games and keep their annualized sports games while milking the fuck out of all their other IP's until they don't exist (also not picking up anymore new ones/ dropping almost all studios)
- More surprise indie hits like Minecraft will surface (causing a lot of not-rich developers become rich and then do asinine development projects that break them)
- In-game advertising will become the norm amongst AAA publishers
- Microtransactions on top of $60 games will become the norm
- A large publisher will get a new CEO and then does a turn-around of its business practices (making it the example for other publishers to follow and a golden age of gaming follows)

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
An industry-wide crash? Unlikely.

A Triple-A crash? Already happening now -- it started with THQ, and it is now solidifying with EA's and Square's current financial problems. I honestly can't wait for the peak to hit.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Entitled said:
Sounds like you missed the part where I said perspective. Incidentally, the nit-picker is the one who decided to go out of their way to annoy me about things. The thing to remember when you DO that is to make it relevent to me. Telling me about semantics and over-glorification doesn't make you look good. It makes you look - as I now perceive you - like someone planning to argue and not discuss. The ones who are Chicken Littling 'The Next Great Video Game Crash' are the glorifying ones, so obvious it hurts. The ones arguing semantics are ON that side of things, YOUR side.

kman123 said:
Holy crap, another thread predicting the end of gaming. YAY!
This fella, on the other hand, has perspective. He knows this is silly. Welcome, brother. We've been expecting you.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
rob_simple said:
Question: why would the console market crashing destroy gaming markets that have nothing to do with consoles? Why would Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo failing in the next generation mean that people suddenly threw their computers in the bin and stopped using Steam? Would people just throw their iPhones away, closing down the app store?

What will probably happen is a collapse of the bloated AAA industry, which is in no way a bad thing. Big companies like EA have lost their way and become blinded by money, eventually it's going to come back and bite them in the arse, but all it means in the current market is that smaller, indie developers will get a chance to take the limelight and probably, ultimately start the whole cycle all over again.

There is never going to be another crash like the one in the 80's because the market is now so fragmented it would be literally impossible, short of a complete financial meltdown in every facet of the economy.
The 80's crash didn't affect "every facet of the economy" either, it left the PC gaming industry untouched (that's also why EA survived it as a young company), and it happened right at the middle of the so-called "Golden Age of Arcade Gaming", that went on for years after it (and was, in fact, ended by the next successful home consoles).

If only the AAA parts of the industry alone would fail, that would in itself be a larger portion of gaming than in the 80's, and gaming is a larger portion of the world economy than then. That's enough to warrant calling such a scenario a major industry crash.