Video Game Endings

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
As you guys probably already know, the Mass Effect 3 endings were, to be kind, unsatisfactory to many fans. Thinking about this made me wonder: What IS the proper way to end a videogame? Bioware has already shown great skill in making the beginning and middle sections of their games compelling to play, but seem to have problems with their endings in other games (like Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 for some.) This problem isn't only with them, remember Fallout 3? People were furious at the ending, causing the "Broken Steel" DLC to be made.

In short:
What makes a good videogame ending?
What makes a bad videogame ending?
How should game developers make better endings?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
IMO, there's more than one right way to do it, depending on how nonlinear/linear your game is. Games with an emphasis on choice should have an ending that makes sense in the context of the various choices the player had made up to that point.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Kahunaburger said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
IMO, there's more than one right way to do it, depending on how nonlinear/linear your game is. Games with an emphasis on choice should have an ending that makes sense in the context of the various choices the player had made up to that point.
True on that, I was speaking more in regards of how to make the ending fit with the themes of the game. Sorry for the confusion.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
Kahunaburger said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
True on that, I was speaking more in regards of how to make the ending fit with the themes of the game. Sorry for the confusion.
In which case I also think it's a no-brainer that the ending should also make sense in the context of the themes of the story so far. Which, in a game with many possible central themes, can be tricky. I feel this article [http://www.ferretbrain.com/articles/article-848] sums up this issue very well, discussing it in the context of the ME3 ending - here's an excerpt:

Up until the final moment, Mass Effect Three could have been about a vast number of things. It could have been about idealism versus pragmatism, nationalism versus internationalism, unity versus self-interest, conflict versus reconciliation, or even ? if you wanted ? about organic versus synthetic life. The final moment, though, strips away all of the other possible interpretations and makes it a game about one thing and one thing only, about an inevitable conflict between synthetic and organic life, and about the necessity for a dramatic solution to that conflict, either in the form of the Reapers, or the the form of Synthesis. The ending removes all textual support for any reading of the game other than this rather tedious one.

Casey Hudson has stated that the ?controversy? caused by the ending was intentional because they wanted an ending that would be memorable, and that would create discussion. I believe him, and I also believe that this is completely the wrong way to create an ending for an interactive narrative. Players shouldn't be debating the meaning of the ending of a video game, because they should already feel that they know what the ending means, because they will have chosen its meaning.

The original Mass Effect creates this sense of ownership extremely well. Nobody debated the meaning of the end of the first game, because they knew exactly what it meant. It meant that humanity had to stop thinking only of itself and become part of the galaxy. Or it meant that humanity had to look after itself because no other bugger would do it. Or it meant that even in the face of chaos, ruthless people seek their own advantage. Or it meant that in the face of a terrible enemy, sacrifices had to be made for victory, even to the extent of sacrificing civilian leaders. Or it meant that in the face of a terrible enemy, sacrifices had to be made for victory, even to the extent of risking everything to protect your civilian leaders. Everybody knew what the choice was, and everybody knew why they made it, and everybody got exactly the answer they wanted because it was an answer they created themselves.

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
It's more than just happy endings vs. sad endings here. Any story that wishes to have satisfactory conclusion should provide closure, hope, and fit the style of the entire story. As much as I love the Mass Effect series, the ending provides little closure, plenty of confusion, and doesn't seem to fit the theme in so many ways.

Halo 3 had a semi-sad ending, but Cortana and MC were together, after successfully defeating the ending. Now, that is an ending.

Halo Reach, although incredibly depressing, leaves off with plenty of hope, because the player knows Noble team didn't all die in vain.

Dragon Age Origins has an entire scene where the Warden (the PC) asks all of the followers what their plans are, can determine his/her own future plans, and has epilogues detailing plenty of closure and future adventuring, left vague for the player to imagine.

Mass Effect 3, however, ends a trilogy based on player's choice, character development and rich story lines with this off, philosophically flawed, and poorly delivered linear scene in which all choice is taken away from the player, and all three endings end with the same basic result.

iseeyouthere

Jan 21, 2010
I have to agree with the above. It all depends on the game and what you have been doing in the game.

Some endings are predictable, but it does give us an idea of what we are going up against. Some aren't
One example is Jak and Daxter 1: You work up to get to the Dark Eco Sage to get help, but realise that he is the same guy you saw from the beginning and hes leading the forces that are attacking you and the other villages. You see progress of the Lurkers trying to get things together, so the huge robot at the end make sense.

So long as the ending makes sense, it should be ok. I mean, some ending won't always be happy sunshine and rainbows, but so long as it makes sense to the player, it is a sucessful story and ending.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Yeah all endings need to do is make sense and tie up all the loose ends (something some game devs like to leave out because sequels)

A truly awesome ending needs to fit the themes established in the game, take Persona 4's ending for example. I don't call it baist gaem evar for no reason after all. I don't want to spoil but i'll just say that the fact that you had to go above and beyond what was expected to actually get to the ending fits with the overall theme of mystery and truth seeking so damn well.

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
Of recent times, the first Infamous game really stood out as having a superb ending although I guess you might not count it as a proper ending give the game has a sequel. I'd been getting a bit annoyed with Kessler who just seemed to be a stereotypical bad guy being bad for no particular reason but then when you hit the ending it all makes sense and finishes off the game brilliantly. The story didn't work so well in the second game nor was its ending but it still finished well.