Video Game Hell

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I always felt that in hypothetical Heaven and Hell, it was the people who made those places what they were. A place where everyone's friendly and conscientious sounds much better than a place where no one is.

The people in Hell have to play DOTA against the people in Heaven. If you're a good-natured team player, you end up in Heaven, while all the toxic brats end up in Hell.

Also, only the players in Heaven get to mute other players.

Need I say more?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Being surrounded by hordes of squeaking anime girls clearly underaged and skimpily dressed all gyrating like they're suffering from St. Vitus dance and blurting out the many programmed variations of "you're awesome!!" as i sense the heavy breathing of the artist behind my neck, whispering in my ear "it's totally fine, they're 100 years old and are really experienced in life even though emotionally they're dead inside. it's fiiine."

And the only flamethrower is locked behind playthroughs of Final Fantasy XIII - XIII-2 in VR where the game bugs out on the final boss, giving me a seizure that burns the last 40 hours into a loop playing within my memory as I fall into a coma. Still hearing the squeaking. Still feeling the heavy breathing. Unable to move or scream. Till my very last second of consciousness. If death ever blessed me with such sweet release.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MOBA's. Lots and lots of MOBA's. And all my teammates DC. And I need to win 1 match to get out.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
jademunky said:
Me playing anything released in Japan in the last 15 years that was not developed by From Software.

Or ever having to get back into a MOBA.
Does this include Silent Hill or anything from Suda 51? Or you just talking about KAWAII MOES DESU stuff?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I already lived mine: David 'emosiuns' Cage's Fahrenheit. That was a physically and mentally unpleasant experience, so my gaming hell would probably that, on a loop, with the only added insult being forced to play it on office equipment, aka keyboard'n'mouse.

Oh, and Canadian LP'er ChristopherOdd would be providing an endless commentary in realtime. 'Awesome!', 'Duude!', 'Cool!', 'Oh wow!', 'Neat!' for all eternity...

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Any competitive shooter where I am being dominated by some dickhead who thinks it's funny to shit talk me while they're killing me almost immediately out of the spawn while being yelled at by unhelpful teammates who refuse to offer assistance or advice and just telling me to play better without telling me what I'm doing wrong.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
All games developed from the 7th generation or later must be played on shitty CRT monitors. All older games must be played on HD 60hz LCD TVs.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ryallen said:
Any competitive shooter where I am being dominated by some dickhead who thinks it's funny to shit talk me while they're killing me almost immediately out of the spawn while being yelled at by unhelpful teammates who refuse to offer assistance or advice and just telling me to play better without telling me what I'm doing wrong.
Sooo, every competitive shooter ever?

Yeah, sounds about right. I'll go with that one too. There's a very good reason why I stick to low pressure Quickplay and pubs, and this is it.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
RaikuFA said:
jademunky said:
Me playing anything released in Japan in the last 15 years that was not developed by From Software.

Does this include Silent Hill or anything from Suda 51? Or you just talking about KAWAII MOES DESU stuff?
Well, to be honest, Silent Hill 2 was the last really good one and that came out waaaay the hell back. As for Suda 51, I never actually got to play "No More Heroes", "Shadow of the Damned" was playable but nothing special, "Killer is Dead" was just godawful and "Killer 7" was..... unique.

Now admittedly, I do enjoy the Persona games but am mystified why the series (or most things out of Japan really) cannot escape the high-school setting. Do they just culturally assume that adults are all dead inside?

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
jademunky said:
RaikuFA said:
jademunky said:

Well, to be honest, Silent Hill 2 was the last really good one and that came out waaaay the hell back. As for Suda 51, I never actually got to play "No More Heroes", "Shadow of the Damned" was playable but nothing special, "Killer is Dead" was just godawful and "Killer 7" was..... unique.

Now admittedly, I do enjoy the Persona games but am mystified why the series (or most things out of Japan really) cannot escape the high-school setting. Do they just culturally assume that adults are all dead inside?
Because I'm a fucking weeabo, I've seen a few videos talking about what it's like living in Japan, and living there as an adult is allegedly horrible. They work mentally and spiritually exhausting jobs with ungodly hours and strict deadlines while being pressured to socialize and maintain good workplace relations by going out drinking with their coworkers every night after work, only to repeat the cycle the very next day. Image is everything, responsibilities are constantly putting you down, and there's nearly no living space for a lot of people. High school, for most people in Japan, was the oldest they were when they had none of those responsibilities. It's not really any wonder why most games from Japan have teenaged protagonists: it's the time when they were the most free and happy. So, yeah, I'd say that adults in Japan are more or less dead inside.

CrystalMech

Aug 2, 2017
You get immediate access to every video game ever created, but after an hour of playtime, you are barred from playing any video game other than Desert Bus. The only way you can resume playing is to earn a point in Desert Bus, which nets you another hour.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
jademunky said:
RaikuFA said:
jademunky said:

I like Silent Hill 3, then again, that was my first dive into horror.

Persona 2 had all adults in Eternal Punishment. But it's mainly cause Atlus USA was about to go belly up then got a smash hit from Persona 3. I would say try out the mainline SMT games or the spinoffs. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are my personal favorites. Or if you have a 3DS, wait for the Strange Journey remake. It's Aliens/Event Horizon with a SMT coat of paint.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not too sure on the perspecific on my video game hell but I know for one thing, it will have lots and lots of lag! Oh also it probably be some pvp game were I'm against some pro and it pretty forcing me to lose in one way or another (weapon doesn't work of I'm shackle to restrict movement) and all of them including my teammates are flaming at me for being bad! Yeah, I loathe pvp games these days pertically competitive ones!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
RaikuFA said:
I like Silent Hill 3, then again, that was my first dive into horror.

Persona 2 had all adults in Eternal Punishment. But it's mainly cause Atlus USA was about to go belly up then got a smash hit from Persona 3. I would say try out the mainline SMT games or the spinoffs. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are my personal favorites. Or if you have a 3DS, wait for the Strange Journey remake. It's Aliens/Event Horizon with a SMT coat of paint.
Funny you should mention, I own both Noturne and Digital Devil Saga I & II (II was a bit of a bugger to find). Finished all three multiple times. Nocturne was such an enigma to me since in terms of concept, scope, use of gameplay mechanics to convey a story, artwork and music, it is an absolute classic and worthy of serious teaching as subject matter in schools.

Seriously, the first time you sacrifice two demons that you fought alongside you and who trust you, you know you are a complete monster and there is no turning back from that point. Yet that never really filled me with sadness either, rather it made me revel in my damnation and embrace my newfound inhumanity. The story did not at any point force me to murder my companions, yet I did it again and again because there were just so many advantages in doing so.

The writing, however (or at least the localized english version), is a dumpster fire of failure. There are also serious issues with many details of how the gameplay mechanics are executed. Seriously, why can I not just re-equip old abilities I've previously learned? Or wtf is the actual system for getting demons to agree to join you? It just seems random, sometimes they like you, sometimes the same action with the same demon is a waste of Macca and Chakra drops.

In hindsight, maybe I like Japanese games more than I think I do.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
A game of Counter Strike: Global Offensive.
You suffer from maddening network and frame lag
you have headphones welded to your head, and your teammates are as incompetent as they are angry. at you.
the enemies are all global elite professionals, mega co-ordinated korean commandos

you can escape this hell, but you must get a flawless 16 win streak to do it. But your side all thinks they're rambo, and won't send more than 2 people in the same direction. you can choose to play without lag, but every shot that hits you hurts like it would in reality.