Video Game Kids Names?

Apr 19, 2010
LordNue said:
mrpmpfan said:
LordNue said:
Don't fucking do it. People who do this are literally the worst parents can be without actually being abusive to their children. You will be the lowest common denominator for it and your child will have a shitty childhood unless it's an extremely otherwise common NORMAL name. But regardless naming your child after a video game character is just laughable.
Wow drama queen. Normal names are not that great. I resent the fact my parents named me Steven Smith. Its so plain that it seems they put no effort what so ever into the name.
Steven is a terrible name anyway, I too am cursed with such a name (incidentally I was named after a soap opera character and it confounds me to think what the thought processes are to name your child after something YOU like instead of actually thinking of a proper name). And for the record by normal I don't mean strictly things like "bob" or "jane" just not "OH HEY SON DID YOU KNOW YOU'RE NAMED AFTER A VIDEO GAME OR COMIC BOOK CHARACTER? I KNOW YOU DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS STUFF BUT I DO SO NOW YOU GET TO LIVE WITH MY SELFISH CHOICE FOREVER" and naming them sephiroth.
Woah what the hells your problem? So because you don't like your name based off a soap opera people who name their kids after a certain form of media are awful parents? Everyone has to live with their name and no one really cares about other people's names. There are plenty of worse things to do as a parent (without being abusive.)
And my name is Steven so yeah, don't be a prick.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
mrpmpfan said:
I will give you all my last name so if you want to suggest full names (First Middle Last) that would be killer.

My last name is Smith...sadly I am not kidding.
Why would you be kidding? It's one of the most common last names in England.

Red (in honor of Pokemon Red)
Link
Zack (FF7)
Isaac/Felix (Golden Sun)

Edit: The hell is with all the Steven hate? My name's Stephen and I love my name. It means crowned one for gods sake.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
This seems like a great plan for getting your child picked on in school. Do you hate your future kids or something?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Hope for triplets and call them Abort, Retry and Fail.

If that's too PC for you, then just go for Agent, because not only is that a Crackdown reference, but combined with your surname it's also a Matrix reference... that's double the immediate awesome and long term resentment.

Another idea is think of a name that is cool when combined with your surname Smith, like Rune, Black or Weapon... or even a terrible one that rhymes, like Biff or Griff... ha ha I'm only kidding, they're all terrible ideas.

I think you should get a write down all the names that have been suggested on this thread, then show to people who aren't gamers, like a teacher or a social worker, they should be able to help you rule out the terrible ones and suggest the ones that would actually be bearable for you child as they're growing up.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Here, I got a list:

1) Gannondorf (Gannondorfina, for a girl)
2) Azure (based off of Azura, the daedra goddess) probably the most legit name I've come up with
3) Cliffracer
4) Rat meat (this one's a winner!)
5) Assault Frigate

Jun 3, 2009
I grew up with a generation of people named after their parents read Tolkien and smoked too much dope, so I would not be inclined to give my kids a "unique" name. Hell, my name is EXTREMELY Russian and my brother's is EXTREMELY Italian which makes no sense at all given our backgrounds, so let's just say the 80's were not a golden time for child's names.

I'd much rather use my child's name to commemorate someone who had a deep effect on making me who I am now, or someone I really admire. While this certainly could be a video game character, or someone involved in the industry, randomly looking for any neat sounding video game name just seems a little...frivolous. I mean, one say you are going to have to tell your kid you named them after a video game because you could, not because the game or character had some sort of special impact on you.

Somehow being told I was named Natasha Katrina because it sounded nice doesn't seem so terrible in comparison.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
I'd got with Kratos or something historic, that way you can always defend it by pretending to be a history buff.