Video Game Protagonists you hate

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
That dude from alpha protocol, he is constantly being a smug asshole even if you pick the nicer dialogue options

PanicxBoss

Nov 19, 2009
Romidude said:
PanicxBoss said:
Romidude said:
Isaac Clarke, I just bought Dead Space, and the whole missing wife thing is pretty damn uninteresting when Isaac is a robot with advanced motor skills.
He gets better in DS2, apparently. And I don't know, maybe it just depends on the person, cos I ended up identifying with him by the end. (Though to make motivation matters worse, it's not even his wife he's after. It's just his girlfriend... Yeah...)
You identified with a mute who cuts up aliens with mining tools?
Strange as it sounds, yes, but that's mostly due to some of the developments at the end of the game. For the first half of it, I was pissed at him for not ever saying "screw you guys, I'm going home" to those people (the chick, especially... what does she do besides sit on her ass for the entire game?) who kept ordering him around.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
tellmeimaninja said:
Kratos.

They developers made an unlikable prick who's only thought is about killing things.
Then they gave him a family to try to make him likable.
Then they had him go and kill pretty much everything in such brutal fashion that any semblance of sympathy anyone might have felt towards him was destroyed.
He started out as a sympathetic and tragic anti-hero. Then GoW2 and 3 came out. Now he is just a kill happy douche.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Renegade Male Shepard, Mike Thorton(whatever you pick), Vaan in the orginal FFXII(Sequel and spinoff Vaan are alright) and for extra measure, Master Chief since he's supposed to be a noble, selfless warrior but when he talks he acts like the kind of person who tends to play Halo - an immature twelve year old*.

*: I'm not saying all Halo players are immature 12 year olds. Just that most immature 12 year olds are Halo players.

ashikoto

Jul 14, 2008
every character from ff 13 except sazh

seriously hes like the only one that has any kind of real character development. i mean lighting and snow have a complete personality 180 after hope says one silly line of dialouge and the same goes for fang who almost completely flies of the handle when everyone says lets do something different. its just silly

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
misterbobperson said:
Desmond Miles
I think Desmond gets a bad rap.

For one, the games aren't really about him, so he gets contrasted (being some random, normal person who gets abducted) with Altair and Ezio who get to do much cooler things. Also, how much character does he actually get to show when he's strapped to a bed 99% of the time, and when he isn't the other characters won't shut the hell up and he can't get a word in edgewise?

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
kman123 said:
didn't really support Alex Mercer's views...and I had to PLAY as the damn thing.
You're not supposed to support Alex Mercer's views, he's equally (if not more) evil than your protagonists. That was the point.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
mynameisphil said:
He's not the main character, but I took an instant dislike to Jacob from Mass Effect 2. I think I finally kinda figured it out. It's the way he just assumes he has some sort of influence on whatever happens on the Normandy. He thinks that Commander Shepard, the guy who saved the galaxy from destruction by the Reapers gives a flying fuck what some random Cerberus operative with daddy issues thinks about releasing a tank-bred Krogan or how he feels about trusting a memeber of the team. I love watching him die only character in that game that I have absolutely no care for.
thats interesting, at first I didnt find him all that compelling (I actually let him die in the final mission because I was paranoid about losing tali) I think because he didnt want to tlak to me all that much

however I began to liek him a little better later on, simply because he was just a nice guy you know? that universe was full of nasty people (miranda wanted to implant a control chip! how many human rights violations are there?) but it was nice ot have somone form cberus who was.....a nice guy plus he acutally dosnt have much angnst or issues (he gets over dad pretty quick) which some people might like after the rest of the madhouse crew

OT: for me Id say definetly kane and lynch, I played that game for literally 5 minutes..I was then like yeah I dont care about you assholes

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
GTA 3 and Vice City's Protagonists were dicks. Jack Marston (Epilogue) is an obnoxious shit. Speaking of GTA Johnny Klebitz was a douche to everyone not a biker or drug dealer. Sam Fisher (Conviction) I hated his gritty attitude in that installment of the series, he was just fine in Chaos Theory at least you had the option of knocking people out and he made some wise-ass jokes which I liked. Conviction made him too gritty and intense which threw out all likability I had for him.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
mynameisphil said:
He's not the main character, but I took an instant dislike to Jacob from Mass Effect 2. I think I finally kinda figured it out. It's the way he just assumes he has some sort of influence on whatever happens on the Normandy. He thinks that Commander Shepard, the guy who saved the galaxy from destruction by the Reapers gives a flying fuck what some random Cerberus operative with daddy issues thinks about releasing a tank-bred Krogan or how he feels about trusting a memeber of the team. I love watching him die only character in that game that I have absolutely no care for.
I get where you're coming from, but it's either him or Miranda. They're the only two you consistently have, and it would be a bit awkward if there wasn't any wrap up dialog at all.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
misterbobperson said:
Desmond Miles
Lol, blandest sentient being in the universe.

Since most of mine have already been said i'm going to have to go with the Hero from Fable 3. Seriously dude, stop being such a prick.

jmd102993

Mar 6, 2009
Cole from inFamous, first off his voice just plain bothered me, and his inflection rarely matched his emotion, secondly he just completely shuns someone the second they come close to doing anything wrong, third,
who the FUCK goes back in time to turn themselves into a uncaring fucking war machine, granted that was technically Kessler/Cole from another dimension, but they are essentially the same person

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Romidude said:
PanicxBoss said:
Romidude said:
Isaac Clarke, I just bought Dead Space, and the whole missing wife thing is pretty damn uninteresting when Isaac is a robot with advanced motor skills.
He gets better in DS2, apparently. And I don't know, maybe it just depends on the person, cos I ended up identifying with him by the end. (Though to make motivation matters worse, it's not even his wife he's after. It's just his girlfriend... Yeah...)
You identified with a mute who cuts up aliens with mining tools?
while its a little harder to get attached to a silent protagonist I found issac to be quite likable, hes not some jerk-ass trigger happy "hero" hes an engineer, I found him to be quite human through is body language and other subtle things, at the start if you swing the camera around before he puts on his mask you can see his face....its not a an action hero face but sort of a kind-normal guy face which you also see at the end it really makes you feel for him , he dose give comentry in the task objectives/manuel thing

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Jude from Wild Arms 4 for being an unlikable annoying kid: he gives the one cool character crap for smoking,lashes out becasue the woman who has a horrible disease and is the sole survivor of horrible genocide becasue she won't feel sorry for his mother who may be dead(she wasn't), and he has to be insanely vocal(in a very annoying voice no less) about every damn jump.

Also to a minor extent Apollo Justice, he's not a bad character per se but he pales before Phoenix in terms of wit and it feels like he had to have the answers spoon feed to him by Phoenix and Gavin.

Warboss Robgutz

Jul 13, 2010
Kratos, he fucks everything up by killing every God going.

Then releases hope into the world. its like sinking a fishermans boat then giving him a salmon...