Video Game soundtracks

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
The first Metroid Prime's music was as good as the game itself. And it's a bloody good game.

I like music from the MGS games, although there aren't too many melodic themes to stick in your head (aside form the obvious ones everyone knows)

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
-Call of Duty 1 had an epic orchestral soundtrack. It really set the tone of the game.
-Total War games have great soundtracks that always get your blood pumping.
-Timesplitters, all of them. All the music corresponded to the level you were playing; so you'd hear a snazzy jazz soundtrack at a 1920's nightclub, a creepy piece at a haunted hospital, or a catchy techno beat in a sci-fi factory.
-Still Alive. Both the one from Portal and the one from Mirror's Edge.

Pezzer

Feb 15, 2009
Echo42 said:
dont know if its been said, but Halo had some epic music at times
I agree although in general I would put my own music on and the game music off, unless its good (as in Halo series, etc)(which I find is very rare).

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Hmm, its almost a tie for me between two works of Jeremy Soule. Total Annhilation or Icewind Dale. Im probably going to have to go with Icewind Dale. I honestly even have trouble thinking of great film soundtracks that compare with this.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Jet Set Radio (and Future) had a very good soundtrack but my favourite is still the Final Fantasy X soundtrack.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
The Guitar Hero games probably don't count, but they tend to have a high ratio of awesome to suck. If we're not counting music games, then I'd have to say the music from the Timesplitters series has always been good. I'm also a fan of reworked classic Nintendo music, such as a neat orchestral version of Mario, Legend of Zelda, etc.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Aiden Rebirth said:
prolly tetris.
It is amazing how such a short lest of tunes never seemed to get repetative.

My vote however goes to Half-Life. Somehow, the music always seemed to heighten the moment, from the heavy metal track that plays when you encounter your first squad of Marines in "We've Got Hostiles" to the short, 7 second track that plays when you step into a freezer.

Halo did well with it's soundtrack, but it's not as memorable. From the opening suite that helps inspire awe at the mystery of the ring to the Rock Anthem to Save the World (essentially the opening suite done in a rock style) that plays during a furious running gun battle between yourself and the covenant, the music certainly helped build atmosphere and even helped spur the player to action.

When the track for We've Got Hostile's starts to play, or Rock Anthem to Save the World is queued, you can't help but want to run into battle with guns blazing, something that makes both segments more enjoyable.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Day of the Tentacle had a brilliant soundtrack, with different themes for each 'zany' character, all of them perfect for losing yourself in brilliant, hilarious puzzly goodness. Laverne's was the best.

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Prince of Persia, Sands of Time trilogy. Yes, even the second and third games. Granted, the Warrior Within had a lot of that 'rock music' that critics loved to hate on, but if you really listened to the background music when the rock music wasn't playing, it was absolutely gorgeous and really helped set the tone for the gameplay. (too bad that technical bugs really worked against the appreciation of the soundtracks in those games)

And I must admit, practically anything by Nobuo Nematsu I enjoy (too many games to list!) Yeah, my phone plays him too. :)

Still, though, gotta love Zelda. I loved playing to the games to here the themes.

EDIT: Oh, yeah - one of my favorite game soundtracks is from Hotel Dusk, a little known, practically forgotten Nintendo DS game. The music is great though, and went further towards enhancing the gameplay than (sometimes) the game itself.

BladesofReason

Jul 16, 2008
Anything by Harry Gregson Williams, so the Metal Gear Solid games have all had gret music. The theme song for Metal Gear Solid 2 was really nice.

I've always liked the main song from Killzone and most Final Fantasy games have above average music.

But, as only a few people have mentioned it in this thread my favorite OST has to be from Chrono Cross. It's so varied but maintains an overall theme that's just so endearing.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
I'd have to say the music from the Timesplitters series has always been good.
Graeme Norgate (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters series) does loads of great VG music

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I played the first level of Goldeneye for about a minute, and will never forget that awesome tune. Hopefully Graeme Norgate has transferred to Pumpkin Beach with the rest of the crew.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Anything done by Frank Klepacki.
Also, Halo does have a surprisingly good soundtrack.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
One can't have a thread such as this without majorly bigging up the soundtrack to Halo:Combat Evolved. Before that, I hadn't played a game with a soundtrack which actually ADDED to the experience, making it hae an air of epicness to it.
If a gmae is the sum of it's parts, then one hugely important part of World of Goo is it's soundtrack. Who would have known a puzzle game could be emotive and have an air of tragedy and mysticism to it?
Also, you got to love Morrowind's main theme. I don't care for the game myself, but the theme music is brilliant.
Also Crysis Warhead; the hovercraft theme.

Samexf

Jan 23, 2009
Okami! The soundtrack is beautiful, especially the vocalised version of "Reset". I bought the full soundtrack from Japan, weighing in at 5 discs, 218 tracks, it is a looong soundtrack. However it is absolutely jaw-dropping to listen too, both in-game and on the cds.