Video Game Survey

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
bodyklok said:
Just make up the results dude, it's so much easier. And then you can spend the rest of the time playing video games.
Haha, if this last effort hadn't have worked, it would have come down to that.

But Thanks for helping out

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
To: Slash Dementia, Nmil-ek, sethzard, Darkintent, Reaperman Wompa and short_name111 (and anyone else I may have accidentally overlooked).

Thank you all very much. It'll go a long way towards helping me get done, I really appreciate it.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
I had 10 seconds, answered for ya. Good luck on the project. If you ever get in to actual market research, be sure to work on your question writing.. other than that, with the tools allowed, I think you did pretty well.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
What's with people not including RTS in things? Hell, there's not even a "Strategy" option anywhere for game genres. "Other", just doesn't cut it.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
IceMan In Black said:
Goldeneye103X2 said:
It's a good survey, but in" Rank what matters the most" you didn't add gameplay, which is still important.

Good luck.
Yeah...about that...the only explanation I have for that is that I just forgot it. I would hope that all developers (especially new ones) would know gameplay is the most important part, but we still have things like MGS 4 so...oh well. Thanks for helping.
You're welcome, i'm always happy to help. Because helping is helpful to people who need help.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I sincerely hope you realize what a load of crap your survey is. I've read your responses to those other two but what you dont get is that gaming is the grayest area to ever exist. I love burnout paradise its a racing game. I like it more than cod 4. But in general i like fps more than racing. What you should have done is make people list their favorite games , and beside it put what kind of genre it was. That being said, genre has almost nothing to do with a good game. Halo, GoW, CoD are all shooters, but GoW is third person. Dead or Alive, Tekken, and Street Fighter are all fighters but Street fighter is 2d. Were someone to ask me if i had a choice between a 2d game and a 3d game, i would choose 3d. If some one said more speciffically between DoA or SF i would choose SF because (to me) its a better game. You can segregate all you like but that will never ever (well, maybe a little) help game developers sell their games. If the game is good it will sell itself. Your marketing calss should be teaching how to promote games not take surveys.
Jadak said:
What's with people not including RTS in things? Hell, there's not even a "Strategy" option anywhere for game genres. "Other", just doesn't cut it.
Also if your going to divide up the gaming catogories at least do it right. A mmo could also be an fps. A third person action game could also be a shooter(Gow).
All that being said, some of the questions were good like what is most important in a game:
Story
length
graphics
etc...
These are all important but some more than others to different people. For me, the story is number one. number two would be GAMEPLAY wich you forgot to add, so i put replay value which i assumed was the same thing. Length for me was last. I liked this question cause it wasnt vague and though a "forced ranking" it may be, its ranking the components of a game, and not vague game types.
I dont play games that often even though i answered the 2nd question 7+. Its because i have had literally ALL of my gaming equipment taken away from me. Except my psp wich i cleverly hid. I answered the question as if i had gaming equipment. Because when i do have gaming equip ment my play time ranges from 20-30+ hours a week. No i dont consider myself a hardcore gamer. My point? Your wording fails. You sound like an ignorant adult. You should have said "on average" somewhere in that sentance. In short you need to remake this quiz.
Once you do i will be more than happy to take it again. Just remember the gray area that dominates games. It's like leaving christ out of christianity.
(this is intended to help not hurt, good luck with your class;))

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Done.

Woo, I'll count this as my good deed of the month.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
Done and Good Luck. Although you didn't need to put the names of consoles in brackets after you'd written them.

Playstation 2 (PS2)
Playstation 3 (PS3)
Xbox 360 (360)

etc.
If we own it, we know what it's called. You also missed Xbox, Gamecube, Gameboy (I still use it) Playstation and more. If they exist, people will still use them.
Agreed. I mean, hey, I'm a poor student, I don't have any of the fancy current gen consoles because they're too bloody expensive, but I still have my GC - and I actually play it, too.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Good luck with the assignment.

In the future, you might want to double check everything before setting it up.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
IceMan In Black said:
The bottom line is I know its not the greatest survey, but for my purposes, it will work. This survey has only been up for about 13 hours (as of this writing) and I've already had 11 more responses then I did with a week for a better survey. With the survey being available to a wider audience, I need the automation to keep track of everything. I just have to conform to what the service will let me do.

If you filled out the survey, I sincerely thank you, since it really does help. And if you didn't, I still thank you because I'll make a note about your comments in the report (yes I too wish I could have had an additional comments question [I did on the other one, but no one filled it out]) and I can understand not wanting to fill it out because it isn't the greatest survey. But seriously, thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
No problem. Yes, I did fill out the survey. I was more curious to see if you would answer more than anything, rather than being an annonymous marketer under the guise of a student. If you want more "realistic" answers, I would suggest making a stronger questionaire and posting it on the site. I will be more than happy to answer that one for you as well. Good luck with the assignment. Hopefully you can help change the way the market is moving...

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
Archaon6044 said:
you forgot RTS
and

Jadak said:
All I can say is I screwed up and forgot it. You would think that, with two other gamers in my group, that we wouldn't have forgotten to mention Strategy (at the very least). I would fix the complaints if it wouldn't screw up the results of the survey. But you are right, I should have included Strategy at the very least (I used to play AOE II all the time). Oh well. I'll make a note of it in my report and thanks to both of you for helping.

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
Lullabye said:
No i dont consider myself a hardcore gamer. My point? Your wording fails. You sound like an ignorant adult. You should have said "on average" somewhere in that sentance. In short you need to remake this quiz.
Once you do i will be more than happy to take it again. Just remember the gray area that dominates games. It's like leaving christ out of christianity.
(this is intended to help not hurt, good luck with your class;))
Honestly, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I should have been more specific and said this was a marketing research class, in other words they want to teach us how to do marketing (and yet in the end they want us to be able to say how we should advertise how much all of its going to cost etc. and we didn't really cover much of that). We were aloud to do pretty much whatever we wanted as far as what and how we researched as long as we have some primary research. I agree that genre has little bearing on how good a game is, but our main goal for the project was to tell this fictional company what genre of game to make. As you pointed out there is a lot of things that go into making a good game. Trying to make a survey to really pinpoint what that would be for a specific, blockbuster game is too much for a college project like this. Especially considering the fact I had to limit the number of questions to 10 (which is, in this situation, beyond hard). As far as the number of hours go, that was just a bad question. When I originally did the survey I was thinking that would be able to tell me something about casual gamers, but I should have made the gaps larger, or at least gave more options. But this survey and discussion board is kind of a microcosm of how a lot of marketing research is. Companies have unrealistic or just plan wrong expectations and thoughts about a particular market, and marketing research is the first place it will show up. But I do know how much of a gray area this is. And I tried to satisfy all parties involved, but I didn't quite connect in the way I wanted or hoped to connect to the market (be it survey, time and monetary constants or just plan wrong/bad ideas for survey questions). But anyway I really appreciate the comments and they will go in the marketing report. Thanks for your time and opinions. It really helps.

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
Chickenlittle said:

Agreed. I mean it got checked by four other people before it got put online. But like I said, this is for a class and it's a learning experience. I've learned a lot more than I thought I could with one little 10 question survey. Anyway thanks for helping.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
IceMan In Black said:
Chickenlittle said:

Agreed. I mean it got checked by four other people before it got put online. But like I said, this is for a class and it's a learning experience. I've learned a lot more than I thought I could with one little 10 question survey. Anyway thanks for helping.
Not a problem.

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
To: Phyroxis, Azaradel, LimaBravo (I guess you could get paid in internets, but you all have my friendship and gratitude, that's good payment right? :) ), Fruitloops89, Damien the Pigeon and everyone else that has filled this out. Thank you so much. They're all good/quality responses. Every bit helps. Thanks again.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
All done, I do agree tho that the most important thing about a game is gameplay itself, but if you forgot than whatever.

IceMan In Black

Apr 20, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
IceMan In Black said:
The bottom line is I know its not the greatest survey, but for my purposes, it will work. This survey has only been up for about 13 hours (as of this writing) and I've already had 11 more responses then I did with a week for a better survey. With the survey being available to a wider audience, I need the automation to keep track of everything. I just have to conform to what the service will let me do.

If you filled out the survey, I sincerely thank you, since it really does help. And if you didn't, I still thank you because I'll make a note about your comments in the report (yes I too wish I could have had an additional comments question [I did on the other one, but no one filled it out]) and I can understand not wanting to fill it out because it isn't the greatest survey. But seriously, thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
No problem. Yes, I did fill out the survey. I was more curious to see if you would answer more than anything, rather than being an anonymous marketer under the guise of a student. If you want more "realistic" answers, I would suggest making a stronger questionnaire and posting it on the site. I will be more than happy to answer that one for you as well. Good luck with the assignment. Hopefully you can help change the way the market is moving...
I don't think I'll be making a new survey since the whole project is due in a couple of weeks and we still have to write the paper, come up with an advertising campaign (which is something we really didn't go over in the class and for this kind of project I don't think its really appropriate, but whatever). Like I said, I did the best with what I had. I would like to be in a position where I could tell people that come up with surveys like this why they are bad/wrong and how to fix them, but that will take time to work that far up the chain. I'm glad this experience is showing that there is a bigger disconnect from "company" and market than what I realized. But it would be nice to help change marketing's direction. And thanks again for your help.