Video Game villains that you really sympathized with

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
Is no one going to mention the boss from Tales of Phantasia on SNES? Dhaos i think he was. He was trying to save his planet ._. he was there hero. We KILLED him ._. WE ARE BAD PEOPLE...WE DO BAD THINGS..

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Rodyle2 said:
The Boss, Darth Traya, Kotomine Kirei, the "true" Black Fang members
KREIA OH NOES!!!! Yeah, I guess she kinda wasn't that evil, just... strange. I never really understood why you had to kill her... But I found her freaking annoying, so I killed her with extreme prejudice and enjoyed every second of it.
Edit: Or wait, are you talking about that other woman? I can't remember much of that game, only played it once and then lost it when I switched to the 360... I'm really missing it these days.
EditEdit: You ARE talking about KOTOR 2, right? I'd feel really stupid if it turned out you weren't.

My pick is Sephiroth. Not from the original FF7. Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core. I thought they actually did an amazing job showing his descent from honorable hero to evil psychotic bastard. And it made sense that he'd go crazy. Everything he thought he knew was a lie. So yeah, I thought he was cool.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
ShrapnelHound said:
GLaDOS from Portal :( all she wanted to do was "Science" with the intention to make life better for those who were alive. And to make cake.
But she made us kill the cube. I could forgive her lieing, her multiple attempted murders, and the lack of cake, but forcing me to kill my only friend I ever had, THAT WAS TO FAR!

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Saren from Mass Effect.

At first, he was a very threatening menace, then when you realize he's being controlled by Sovereign, you can't help but feel bad for the guy after being manipulated like that and forced to do that kind of shit.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Sephiroth. I mean, once he killed [character's name omitted for spoilers], I hated the douche, but knowing his backstory I couldn't help but feel a little bad for him. You know, at least before he decided to destroy the planet.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Death's Hand from Jade Empire.
Without spoiling anything for those who haven't played it yet (wtf are you waiting for?)...
that poor poor bastard.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
Aribeth from the original NWN...I could never bring myself to kill her, then again I could never really play an evil character in that game...

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Yureina said:
I'll also add Ishmael Ashur to this list from Fallout 3: The Pitt, though...
You don't actually have to kill him, and can side with him. I only killed him the first time I did The Pitt, and I felt genuinely bad about it after I listened to the holotapes he made. I've never killed him since.
He's your classic "Do evil for the greater good type," which is a character type that for some reason is one that I can sympathize with and understand.
Oh, hell yes, Ashur. I sympathize with him to the point that I have trouble deeming him as the villain.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
Loghain Mac Tir (Dragon Age) - Sure, he did a few awful things, but he certainly wasn't proud of them. Everything he did was to save his homeland from nasty underground gribblies AND the people who'd enslaved it for a century. It's not his fault he didn't know the full story.

The Ur-Quan (Star Control 2) - These guys were remorseless conquerors, but they just wanted to make sure no-one was a threat to them again. They spent millennia as mind-controlled slaves. They were forced to exterminate the only race they ever considered friends. To break free, they had to endure constant screaming agony just to be able to fight back long enough to succeed. Can't blame them for being keen on their independence after that experience.

Balthasar (Baldur's Gate 2) - He had no choice about being born the way he was, and he did everything he could to end the Bhaalspawn threat. He was even planning suicide after he'd succeeded, just to make sure - because he felt that no-one could be trusted with that kind of power.

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
I don't think I've ever empathized with an antagonist more than Alma from F.E.A.R.

So she gets taken into Armacham against her will, plugged into a giant psychic-resistant coma machine, then gets knocked up as soon as her body matures enough to be able to reproduce. Then she gives birth, twice, and has her babies taken away from her. In addition to the daily agony her psychic abilities caused her, Armacham got her pregnant then stole her babies so they could train them to be super soldiers. So she goes on a rampage with Fettell in an effort to obliterate everyone responsible (that is, everyone involved with the project). Right up until she started going down the, "the whole world must pay, too!" route, I was actually ready to help her out, especially once you find out that the point man is her other son.

That's why I'm excited for F.E.A.R. 3.

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
Haagrum said:
The Ur-Quan (Star Control 2) - These guys were remorseless conquerors, but they just wanted to make sure no-one was a threat to them again. They spent millennia as mind-controlled slaves. They were forced to exterminate the only race they ever considered friends. To break free, they had to endure constant screaming agony just to be able to fight back long enough to succeed. Can't blame them for being keen on their independence after that experience.
Dont forget that they were also trying to protect the other species from the black ur-quan, the Kohr-Ah, who would eliminate rather than enslave, fighting two fronts as it were. They should be on the list for sure :( poor green centipede bastards..

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Debilitous and Daniella from Haunting Ground. The former is basicaly a child in the body of a hulking brute, and the latter just wants to complete. Albiet in a manner involving removing the reproductive organs from the main character with a giant shard of glass.

I can't believe people feel sympathetic for Saren. He was a bastard long before he encountered Soveriegn (remember, he blew up a reactor which killed hundreds and posioned many more just because he couldn't be fucked to go around it and because he wanted to screw his partner over, soley because he was human). Sure get turned into Soverign's puppet sucks, but that doesn't give him a free pass for his prior acts.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Trucken said:
The Origami Killer from Heavy Rain. Knowing why he did those things... it hurt.
No it didn't. His justification was nothing more than a flimsy rationalization. Considering just how difficult he makes it to save the victim and how far he is willing to go to get away with it you quickly realize that he really isn't doing it for the reasons he says.
The trauma in his life lead to psychological issues, leading to his actions, resulting in me feeling sorry for him. Didn't make me hate him any less though.

vorkon

Mar 31, 2010
One that sticks out in my mind as being particularly sympathetic was Ghaleon from the Lunar games. The goddess had abandoned her duty to her children to become mortal, and all he wanted to do was provide the replacement he felt the people deserved. He had to do some fairly nasty things to make that happen, but I can definitely see how he would have felt it was for the greater good. And that's just the first game, where he really WAS a villain.