Video Game Weapons In Real Life Applications

The Machine King

Jul 8, 2010
After killing the heavy trooper in Killzone 2, I started to think about the power exoskeleton that Raytheon made ( click link to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0X1vyWU6bw ) and how the heavy can be real in the near future. What other video game weapon systems can you think of that can be real in the near future? Be realistic as possible.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
It might be theoretically possible to make a Space Marine bolter, but it would never be practical in combat.

cyce3

May 18, 2009
Sacman said:
oh the land shark obviously...
That is officially the most awesome thing i have ever seen! I salute you for bringing this to my attention!

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
The gravity gun would be pretty practical, in more ways than one.

Realistically though? I don't have a clue. It seems most games set in the future/parrallel reality use either pretty similar weapons to us, or downgraded versions (Halo?).
The chainsaw attachment could be possible (from GOW), but I reckon that would do more harm than good...

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
LAZ0RS!

*cough* Yeah I'm pretty sure we could make them as powerful as they are in games.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
anything from a tom clancy game

or something like this

although things like it are being made

the main things will be drones (google "bae taranis")

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Well we are already developing armor similiar to that of an ODST, we are working on plasma shielding for military platforms and maybe one day personal ones, we also are working on a system similiar to actice camoflauge, we're getting to a point where war might not look that different from a video game.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'd have to say any cloaking device. Octo-camo from MGS? Likely. Spy's invisiblity watch from TF2? A little later, but eventualy they'd compact it.

Either that or jetpacks. They already exist, but eventually they'll be common. in my lifetime? I might be an old man, most likely, but i can see it happening. Flying cars? Dream on, ppl.

The Machine King

Jul 8, 2010
HeySeansOnline said:
Well we are already developing armor similiar to that of an ODST, we are working on plasma shielding for military platforms and maybe one day personal ones, we also are working on a system similiar to actice camoflauge, we're getting to a point where war might not look that different from a video game.
The school I go to is a leader in plasma research. Look here ( http://www.eng.odu.edu/lpei/ )

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
The Machine King said:
HeySeansOnline said:
The school I go to is a leader in plasma research. Look here ( http://www.eng.odu.edu/lpei/ )
Wow, you're really on the forefront, I can't wait until we really gain a mastery over It.

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
To be practical, the technology must become easily mass produced, and cheap enough to be purchasable by the military. A lot of excellent technology is developed to a certain point, and discontinued due to being cost ineffective. Hopefully advances in manufacturing will make a lot of these interesting pieces of technology more cost effective, and thus make them practical.

Also, most weapons that are available for public viewing aren't anywhere near the most advanced pieces of top secret equipment that is available... I'd love to find out some of the top secret advanced crap that is being researched.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
First I will note that the video of the land shark is ridiculously awesome. Fund it.

Secondly, lightsabres (yes, I know they aren't a video game weapon, at least not originally). As tools however, not necessarily weapons, as there are numerous uses for a compact, easily transportable device capable of effortlessly slicing through anything.