Video: Resident Evil Dropped Into Maniac Mansion

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Now I can finally understand the complex and engaging story of Resident Evil!

And yeah, while it was mostly well done, there's a difference between 'old school' and 'deliberately bad'. It's in the pixels. It's hard to find good pixel art nowadays.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
In the intro part, the screeching monster noise is for sure a death noise or attack noise of aliens from X-Com UFO Defense.

I'd know that glorious noise anywhere.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Holy shit how awesome. Still think RE1 is the scariest game ever just from the design. 3:40 everyone will remember that moment. Scariest dog ever.

This is such a faithful rendition, oh joy of joys! I'm loving it.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Mutie said:
JEBWrench said:
Might've been a different tune then, but I could've sworn that a piano was involved at some point or another.
That was using sheet music to play the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata No.14 (Moonlight, as they call it) to open a secret door and recieve a golden emblem to be switched with the worn emblem in the dining room order to unlock the grandfather clock puzzel and gain access to the shield key to fight the giant snake, Yawn, in the attic. After which you recieve one of the hexagonal crests (Wind, I think) which unlock the back door.
That IS what's being played in this video, Beethoven's Sonata No.14. I don't remember whether the Ashford Lullaby is the same or not, but the music in this video is definitely the Beethoven sonata from the original game.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
I love Resident evil for the bad lines, so this video had me chuckling. Faithful to the game and still funny as all hell.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I could never get enough of resident evil when I was younger. I'd play it, and play it, and replay it. I loved every inch of it; the live action intro, the cheesey lines, the music, the the the everything! :D Now it's so painful to watch! So very painful! Hahaha!

There were a few things I didn't recall happening in RE1 that the video displayed. A few of the monsters, a one of the tunes, and such. But it's forgivable. :) It was worth the jaunt down memory lane. :)

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
maniac mansion whas so hard to solve back then... no internet guides either! it took me a loong time to finish.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
I've never played Maniac Mansion, so all this video does is how awesomely horrible the Resident Evil voice acting was. Somehow it seems even worse when I hear it like this.
Oh, but you should. The Lucasarts cartoony sequel is very different and more kid-friendly, but worth it, too.
Just skip to 3:45 if you want the punchline.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Nice, but they should have proofread the text. The typos and spelling and grammatical errors just assault you from the get go.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
Mako SOLDIER said:
That IS what's being played in this video, Beethoven's Sonata No.14. I don't remember whether the Ashford Lullaby is the same or not, but the music in this video is definitely the Beethoven sonata from the original game.
Put the first video to 4 minutes 30 and you'll find that it is playing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUAzkJu-ms

Whereas in Resident Evil 1 the moonlight sonata is played on piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDMICnWMJDE

I'm not sure whether the Ashford Lullaby appears in Resi 1, but if it did, I sure as Hel can't remember it!!

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Mutie said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Put the first video to 4 minutes 30 and you'll find that it is playing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUAzkJu-ms

Whereas in Resident Evil 1 the moonlight sonata is played on piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDMICnWMJDE

I'm not sure whether the Ashford Lullaby appears in Resi 1, but if it did, I sure as Hel can't remember it!!
Aaaaaahh, I see where we've got mixed up. If you go to 3:54 in the 'Part 3' video, Jill plays the 'Moonlight Sonata' on the piano, as in the original game. I thought that's what you guys were talking about. I think the lullaby was only included as a reference, much like the two creatures influenced by Lisa Trevore from the remake and 'Bloke whose name I can't remember' from Resi 0. All I know is, the lullaby was definitely not in Resi 1 at any point, so you're completely right there :D

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
ENKC said:
Nice, but they should have proofread the text. The typos and spelling and grammatical errors just assault you from the get go.
I just assumed that was deliberate to stay true to the translation quality of Resi 1 :D