Videogame bars that you love

gact

May 26, 2014
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has a favorite bar, saloon or similar establishment (hehe fancy words) in a videogame that you actually like to visit, for the minigames or the music or whatever reason, and that you dont just go to pick up quests.

I liked the inns of skyrim a lot, they always feel relaxing, but the bards kind of ruined them for me because they all suck at singing.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
If you're including nightclubs, a few that come to mind are the Seamstresses Union from Shadowrun Returns, The Hive from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and The Asylum from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
The only videogame bar I frequent is the tasteful club.
And that's usually to rob it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
There is only 1 I remember the name of and that is Seventh Heaven in FFVII and its homage in FFXIV (dont know if it was in XI). I wouldnt say that it was a favourite place to visit though I dont recall any bar in a game I love to visit it was just a place but its the most iconic one that comes to my mind.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The Saloon in Armadillo from Red Dead Redemption. Every western saloon cliche was there and I always loved walking in there to get a drink (or start a brawl).

Joxby

Jun 10, 2015
Haha! What a good post. Any Saloon in RDR definitely. Maybe Moriarty's Saloon on Fallout 3... I always liked Gob. Its kinda hard to think of these places. Maybe the Goldshire Tavern in WoW too.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
GundamSentinel said:
The Saloon in Armadillo from Red Dead Redemption. Every western saloon cliche was there and I always loved walking in there to get a drink (or start a brawl).
Oh good so I'm not the only one. I usually go in and drink enough until Marston is staggering around and I'll go over to a table and flop over on some people; they don't like that and it usually kicks off the fight.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
There's a bar in the Chicago level of Timesplitters 2 that you pass through. An ambush occurs, complete with "why I oughta..." and "you schmuck!" Needless to say, you have to protect the civilians and hopefully save enough of your health to deal with what's to come. It's only the midway point, and Chicago's tough, because there's plenty of snipers.

There's a pool table, bottles you can shoot and I remember being fascinated with the cash register when I was younger. Opening it up and seeing all of that green...felt like something you should take for a mission objective, but you're a framed police officer so...I guess that wouldn't help clear your name.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Squilookle said:
I always have time to stop by for a brew or six at my favourite game watering hole:

A quadrillion of your finest Escapist points for this here lovely, err...sentient being! Totally forgot about ole' plucker.

Bars or saloons in any game just make me want the real thing in real life instead, so just like in-game sex, drink, drugs, playing instruments, sports, drawing or creating anything; It more agitates me when I know I could easily enjoying and doing a better job with it in reality (apart from the sex, but it's still an unappreciated tease.)

Also bars in games have a horrible habit of playing the same 2-3 tracks forever. It brings back memories of terrible teen clubs in Devon. At least the people there were too drunk to care or even notice though. A game cannot rely on these assumptions.

If I had to choose, it would be the floating mile high club from Just cause 2 because...well...it's a goddamn club on a double zeppelin! You can (and indeed have to) enter by use of hookshots, planes and skydiving. If that aint classy, then I have no idea.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
The Milk Bar in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I'm a musician myself, so being able to get up on stage and play every instrument myself and hear a nice song is an appreciated feature for me. Plus, I can wear my cow mask in there, and that's just fucking hilarious.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Jolly Co-operator said:
The Milk Bar in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
I came to post this. It's pretty touching to see various characters in there, drowning their sorrows as the world ends.

Mr. Barten said:
"As you can see, all of our customers have taken refuge. It may be my undoing, but I'm the sort of fellow who'll stay at his business through thick and thin. And I continue standing here at the counter hoping one of my favourite customers will appear... And I wasn't wrong. See? You stopped in."
Such a melancholy game.

Also, the Crow's Nest Tavern in Guild Wars 2, where the Captain's Council met before Lion's Arch was destroyed.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I love me some The Cow & Corset [http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cow_%26_Corset] and The Cock in the Crown [http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cock_in_the_Crown] in Fable 2 & 3, and an honorable mention goes to the bar in Kasumi's room in Mass Effect 2 (only an honorable mention because it's a part of someone's living quarters, and not a dedicated bar).

Oct 22, 2011
I wouldn't call it lovely, but if you're looking for a place to drown your sorrows and/or meet very interesting people then, boy, Smoldering Corpse bar is just the establishment for you.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's times like these that I am disappointed that I am one of five people who actually played CATHERINE. That is the only explanation for why "The Stray Sheep" has not arrived here yet.

Sure, the bartender has an awful secret and the the patrons all seem to have nightmares that kill them but you meet all kinds of fun people there! So the death nightmares kind of suck but the waitress is super cute; you should totally hook up with her!!!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I was always very fond of WoW's various taverns, especially thanks to the jolly music in 'em. How can you not love this:

Ahhh WoW. You might divide us all, but your music will never stop being amazing.

Johnny Novgorod said:
There can be only one.

Also this one. It helped that it doubled as a super-secret rebel base.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Scumm Bar from Monkey Island. It's fun having those guys hanging from the chandelier and speaking to a dog.