Videogame Characters "Lack Diversity," Study Finds

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
I don't think anyone actually notices the lack of diversity until somebody does a study of it pointing it out. I think resources may be better used in activities other than pointless studies...

McMarbles said:
My two cents:

1. I don't want quotas... I just wanna know why, in 2009, one year after we elected a black man president, the default video game hero is still a white guy?
Hey, don't forget the other 43 presidents that helped make this country what it is (though Bush might be an exception to this clause...).

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
McMarbles said:
I like how you know what I'm thinking better than I do.
It's amazing how easy it is with people who refuse any sort of introspection whatsoever.

And again, you put words in my mouth. I'm not suggesting that anyone made a conscious decision to preserve things as they are. I'm not saying that we must force a change.
Pointing out the logical consequences of your argument is not putting words in your mouth. The point it to make you actually think about what you're saying.

I'm simply asking... why does it HAVE to continue this way?
You are "simply asking" a loaded question. It's like saying "I'm simply asking... do you just hate children, or everything that is good and pure?".

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
McMarbles said:
It's amazing how easy it is with people who refuse any sort of introspection whatsoever.

And again, you put words in my mouth. I'm not suggesting that anyone made a conscious decision to preserve things as they are. I'm not saying that we must force a change.
Pointing out the logical consequences of your argument is not putting words in your mouth. The point it to make you actually think about what you're saying.

You are "simply asking" a loaded question. It's like saying "I'm simply asking... do you just hate children, or everything that is good and pure?".
Hey, whatever. Look at me, I can claim that you're saying things you didn't say too!

So, how long have you been a big fat racist? And have you stopped beating your wife?

Whee, this is fun!

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I know this died out yesterday, but I just had to ad; Out of a list of games I want to make, I want to make one where you're like some scuba diver or shark kid. Ocean Adventure stuff, and whatnot. I envisioned this character as Latino from the start, and am completely willing to sell the idea to any game developers who feel afraid of the racism rants.

Sep 24, 2008
What usually bothers me is when you watch a Developer's Diary that says "We really took a lot of time to develop a character that players can relate to" translates to a bunch of white guy developers who remembered how they wanted to look like in highschool and added the soulpatch as it became in vogue sometime in the late 90's

Personally, I like games that allow me to build the main character and allow me to choose how I'm going to respond because the main characters that designers usually build that are so 'universally relate-able' are jackholes that I couldn't disagree with more.

Back when there was UPN (remember that? Sorry to bring up memories you tried so hard to repress), a lot of their programmed was slated towards the Black Population. As much, none of my white friends watched it because they "couldn't relate". There is a reason where there's only a sprinkle of white people who go to movies like Soul Plane or anything by Tyler Perry. They don't feel the kinship or understanding. If that's accepted, why is it so shocking that people might want to have a kinship or understanding in their medium of choice?

TriggerUnhappy said:
Did they really need a study to figure this out? That's like hearing study from a college that discovered *gasp* men have a penis and women a vagina. I thought this stuff was common knowledge...
... WOMEN have the vagina and men don't! Damnit, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Point me to these... 'women' you speak of.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
What about the fact all the characters are american, apart from the villains who are English? I'm English, and now thanks to all these games everyone treats me like a well-bad villain.
Thats sarcasm, just to illustrate how stupid this point is. Its like the racism in RE5 case, its political correctness gone mad.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
McMarbles said:
BloodSquirrel said:
McMarbles said:

Hey, whatever. Look at me, I can claim that you're saying things you didn't say too!

So, how long have you been a big fat racist? And have you stopped beating your wife?

Whee, this is fun!
I find it amazing how eager people on the internet are to prove me right when I accuse them of poor behavior.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Ive given up bothering with this kind of argument. What Im going to do is wait until more women or non-white/Japanese people actually start making games themselves and then complain when white men arent featured enough. Becuase then Ill have bitching rights. Ill probably move to a country where white people are a minority while Im at it.