Videogame Theater: Pac-Man's Video Blog: 1979

DarthTirith

Nov 2, 2007
Eh.. This didn't seem to have a point to it. Why Pac Man? It could of been anyone.. The video was just poor. I didn't laugh at all, not once.. Either this isn't my type of thing, or its as dull as I think it is.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Better than the first two episodes.

Umm, sorry to be contrary apparently, but the nice thing about this episode is the few chuckles, even groans, were not tarnished by er, cruelty. Want to know what got the chuckles? A twist on the way Pac views the Ms, though it seems like it was a lost opportunity in more playing off of that we know what Pac's future turns out like and perhaps having him go on about how he is going to have a big career in spread sheets or something the opposite of games, then having someone suggest he has a pill... *shrug*

In a way, its too bad this wasn't the first episode or then again, maybe the worst is behind us now? Well, best of luck with the next one.

Harry Tatcher

Jun 15, 2008
Latest ep was quite good, but I'm going to place it at number 3. So, that's a bronze, bro.

The first two were stellar with Donkey Kong my clear fave. I really want to see the Q*bert ep, but I am honestly frightened that there will be cries of outrage on this board at the portrayal of the world's first retarded video game character.

Still... press on.

Here are some other episodes I'd like to see:

-- Dig Dig finds sooty man-love with Frygar in a mine collapse. It'll be like "Ace in the Hole" except with romance. Brokeback, except in a mine. There should probably be cannibalism.
-- Frogger presents an angry tirade at the local city council meeting to protest the lack of crosswalks. Also, he has throat cancer and speaks with one of those handheld voice thingies because the swamp water was polluted with PCBs by a multinational out of China.
-- Sinistar waits at the DMV. Seriously. That episode writes itself.

Lemme know how it turns out.

Love your work.

LOVE it!

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Still bad.

Alright, I'll brake it down.

The Good: The Jerk poster in the back. Love that movie.

The Bad: Everything else.

The series just isn't funny, which I'm guessing its supposed to be.

And why are we back with Pac-Man? Three episodes in and you're already reusing characters.

The premise of the series is fine, and full of potential. The execution, however, not so much.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Qbert kind of made me laugh. That's not good enough for me to continue watching this series though. It's terrible and you're clearly not learning anything from the vast supplies of negative feedback you've been getting. I'm out from here on in. If someone enjoys this then good for them but for the good of the other 99% of people, we're just going to have to stop giving this a chance which it clearly doesn't deserve. Good luck, VGT. Hope you don't lose any more viewers than you already have.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I'll agree with some earlier statements, it was too general, didn't play off the fact the person speaking was Pac-Man enough, improvement in that it was finally done in a way in which the characters weren't such huge jerks that they weren't funny, they were just mean, etc.

But basically, you switched from character driven plot to a long boring speech. Maybe this is some sort of commentary on the nature of video blogs, but if so, wrong place to voice it. This one's just plain not funny.

Cosine

May 20, 2008
Im just going to look at the comments first from now on before wasting my time watching this

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
I don't get it. Is this one of those pretentious shows that's too stuck up its own ass to be any good?

Squishface Mcgloop

May 28, 2008
How about this? PacMan hanging out with the guy from centipede, or gal, and they're fooling around and he drops a cherry on her or something " Oh **** " cut the camera, then show an advertisement for the original pacman game. May not be great, but it'd be more entertaining than a serious monologue on a supposedly funny show.

lord kamina

Jun 24, 2008
i love this show the first ep was the best in my opinion i cant understand what?s so bad about it its dark and its better than most internet shows i mean pac man with a drug addiction and a wife beater the part when he says "i'll kill you.." made me laugh so hard I will say a barrel of hope was a little meh? but the donky kong jr was funny and the ending was good just a good twist on an old joke

foodstamps_lobster

Jun 18, 2008
I'll say that this one at least wasn't bad or unpleasant to watch, which was the feeling the last two gave to me. However, I didn't find it funny or worthwhile and ended up skipping ahead a few times just to see if it was going anywhere. Turns out that it wasn't. It seems to me the creators of this series need to do some time studying comedy and figuring out what actually makes people laugh, how long of an attention span the average watcher has, what's been done too many times before, et cetera. Comedy is as much an art as anything.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Maybe I am to young to get any jokes but I didn't get this at all. Where there even any jokes? It just sounded like a stereotypical drunk male student.

If you had done another videogame character it might have been better since you already used Pac-Man.

I do hope I get your future stuff!

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
the last two were.....bad this one is just meh.

i assume at the rate this is going they will be the top shit by the next two or three years.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
A lot of people, for the whole series, have said the series was not funny, and one of its creators, Scott Chernoff, has defended it.

With all of the complaints about the series lack of humor, I have something to ask of him.

If he can post about this episode, and tell us, the community, what he thought was funny about this episode.

I just want to know what he and the rest of the VGT team were aiming for in regards to humor.

Thanks.