Videogames: The Untold Stories

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Therumancer said:
Interesting point of view, though I still disagree with it.

The problem with the logic is that Role-Playing Game means something very specific. It has to do with stats *snip*
Stopped reading there. Stop reading "Role-Playing Game" as "Roll-Playing Game".

OT: Silly fanfics are silly and such parodies are done, done, DONE!

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
twaddle said:
Try to guess this game. It's a doozy guys and girls!

Snipity snip
Took me a minute, but I'm now 95% sure that this is Sonic the Hedgehog, back when it was awesome.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
The Escapist Staff said:

Learn the real tales behind some of the best known games in videogame history.

Read Full Article

Ah the magic of lsd.

Cool article though lol, yes the possible storylines of earlier games is endless.

And yeah the "every game is a role playing game" bit is actually pretty old.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
i race snails said:
great read and what was your game trucken?
It was Spy vs. Spy. I tried to give clues with the names (Whight=White and Blache=Black) but it was a bit of a stretch. I had fun writing it though.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
For all those who ever had an old nokia mobile phone.

Hissy the snake saw a flash, almost only a pixel. A square was sitting on the floor near him.
Left, down, right.........Omn nom nom.

The square was delicious and made hissy feel stronger and somewhat longer (A great feeling for a snake) He saw a new ?pixel like? square sitting close by, overtaken by an almost hypnotizing surge with no way of stopping Hissy lunged at the square overcome by feelings of greed and want

Right, Up, Right......Omn nom nom.

Another feeling of wonderment he was stronger, longer and hungry for more. A new square appeared behind him, near one of the walls of his pen, Slithering as fast as he could slither Hissy shot towards the square in an attempt to prolong this feeling of euphoria he was lost in. Darting alongside the square he just had do go?.

Down.......Game over!

?What!?

Hissy spat through his forked tongue. The feeling had ceased, no more was he the long menacing snake he once was. He was addicted, a new game was the only thing for it, He knew what to do this time he would become the longest snake of all.
He ate square after square, again and again, each time becoming longer and longer Hissy was unstoppable in his lust for more Squares.

Another one appeared sitting just near his tail

Down, left, up??.CRUNCH!

Hissy had eaten himself Game over.

And so continues the never-ending cycle of snake on square violence, forever ending in the eventual collapse of the aggressor, the snake. Some say this act is a metaphor for the modern consumer?s rampant, malicious greed but those people also think tea cozy hats are also a good idea silly very silly.
END

Blitzkrieg64

Apr 21, 2009
Why don't you try to figure this one out? It's fairly simple, I've placed a lot of clues in it.

Battle Log: 1988, Some island stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Corporal Rizer, first log.
We have successfully landed at the island and have been prepped for combat.
The force includes Corporal Bean and myself, this mission is a strict "get in, get out" deal, no time for sight seeing.
The mission is to destroy something that has been code named "Red Falcon" I figure if we blow up enough stuff we are bound to destroy the "Red Falcon" easily.
The military tried to outfit us with heavy armor and heavy weaponry, we both just laughed and picked up our trusty submachine guns and started walking out, we didn't need armor. We eventually caved, no special gear no mission apparently, our guns were outfitted with something. Can't really say for sure but the head of the R&D promised it would help us somehow.
Log ended.

Battle Log: 1988, base of waterfall
Corporal Rizer, second log.
There isn't anyone alive here besides me and Bean, all our enemies have been androids and security systems so far. Nothing that looks like a "Red Falcon" yet though. Also, the upgrade our guns got was to get new types of firepower, it's awesome, machine guns, shotguns, flamethrowers and laser guns. I'll have to thank those eggheads back home for giving us these prototypes.
Log ended.

Battle Log: 1988, snow fields
Corporal Rizer, third log
Bean's thinking about wimping out due to the cold, I just smacked him and reminded him that if we didn't complete this mission then I'd have to kick his ass. The security's getting tighter, we must be getting closer to the "Red Falcon" then. Can't wait to see the "Falcon" as I destroy it. That destruction is the only thing that keeps me warm honestly, good thing I'm never letting Lance see this.
Log ended.

Battle Log: 1988, some kind of energy plant
Corporal Bean, first log.
I swear we just blew up a UFO, it was crazy. I hope Bill's right, that it was just some high tech security system. The "Red Falcon" must be close, as far as I can see, there's a lot of security up ahead, these androids don't stand a chance against Bill Rizer and Lance Bean though.
Log ended.

Battle Log: 1988, just outside a hive
Corporal Rizer, fourth log.
Holy crap, we have been fighting aliens this whole time! I should have seen this coming, I thought that huge alien head was just a fancy security turret and that UFO was just a drone but no, there are aliens here. This is awesome, by the layout of the island we were given before landing, going into this hive will lead us to the core of the island, that must be the "Red Falcon" that we were sent to destroy. Lance has his machine gun and I have my shotgun, let's get down to business.
Log ended.

Battle Log: 1988, just outside a hive
Corporal Bean, second log.
I knew it, aliens do exist. Now it's my job to blow them up, I finally get to do what I've always wanted to do. I've got my machine gun loaded up and Bill has his shotgun, let's rock this place.
Log ended.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Blitzkrieg64 said:
Why don't you try to figure this one out? It's fairly simple, I've placed a lot of clues in it.

-snip-
Hmmm... I'm guessing Contra?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And if you want a comical version of this, Dominic, the bartender at the Pixel Palace, has the insider details on some of video gaming's biggest name characters. [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/vgcon]

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
aithilin said:
The Escapist Staff said:

Learn the real tales behind some of the best known games in videogame history.

Read Full Article
You mean the whole article is made up of just fanfics? Been done.
(sigh) There's always at least one...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Awesome. There was a Space Invaders story in one of the short stories issues, way back now. It was really well done. Not to say that these little bites aren't good, it's nice to see a little bit of fiction on the site, I haven't seen a fiction issue for ages now.

Blitzkrieg64

Apr 21, 2009
Trucken said:
Blitzkrieg64 said:

-snip-
Hmmm... I'm guessing Contra?
Yep. Told you it was simple, I just changed a couple of details, calling the spreadgun a shotgun, using "Red Falcon" as an unknown entity instead of the terrorist group's name, the origin of Bill and Lance's guns and the reason everything and everyone except Bill or Lance explodes is because they were androids and security systems. I've been playing the game a lot so it's the only thing I could come up with.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not good with stories but someone should do one about paper boy

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
Trucken said:
i race snails said:
great read and what was your game trucken?
It was Spy vs. Spy. I tried to give clues with the names (Whight=White and Blache=Black) but it was a bit of a stretch. I had fun writing it though.
i managed to guess it, and i'd never played the game. so well done and more importantly, well written.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
HollywoodH17 said:
Therumancer said:
Interesting point of view, though I still disagree with it.

The problem with the logic is that Role-Playing Game means something very specific. It has to do with stats and problems being resolved totally independant of action from the player other than making a desician...

Snip snip. With hedgeclippers.
I think you're missing the point. "The Escapist" has postulated that all games are, in essence, Role-Playing Games because in all games, the Gamer Plays a Role. While this may seem to be an oversimplification, keep in mind that the first role playing games - the ones that you have thoroughly and helpfully elucidated - existed before video games, and as such were one of, if not the only outlets that statistically- and creatively-minded people had to assume an identity other than their own. It stands to reason that these players called their trade a "role-playing game" because it was the first instance in which players directly had influence over a set of characters and their parameters, as opposed to the harsh, stark chance of a die roll in Monopoly.

Now, all of our video games put us in the role of a character, a coach, or an omnipotent god-figure tasked with building something/destroying something. I understand you may be approaching RPGs from a purist's standpoint - "This is our terminology and no one else's!" but from a literal point of view, all games are role-playing games.

Also,

Therumancer said:
The idea of the story being the most important aspect of an RPG is actually a fairly recent creation, and arguably the death of RPGs as a lot of arguements on that point seem to largely be intended as an excuse to get away from the mechanics, strategy, and tactics that otherwise defined the genere.
No. I'd say exactly the opposite, in fact. Roaming around "the Isle of Dread" to "go find treasure" is still a story, it's just more open than point a->point b->point c. To make the story an "unimportant" part of the experience would require you to A. not care why it's called The Isle of Dread, B. place treasure more or less wherever your dice tell you to, which is sloppy, and C. absolutely remove any semblance of conflict/resolution. No one wants to roam aimlessly around a countryside, which is exactly what you are implying, by saying a story is unimportant.

However, as I pointed out, even things as basic as "the Isle Of Dread" came about after the "Role Playing Game" genere had come into existance without even that basic degree of plot. "Role Playing" means that the role controlls the outcome, not the player.

Also as far as the guy being "clever" with the old Roll playing vs. Role playing crack, I will say that being intentionally ignorant isn't cool. I'd recommend reading an entire message (even if long) before commenting on it, and I'd also do some reading on the origins of RPGs going back to Gary Gygax and Dave Arnenson and how things moved from Wargames, to "Chainmail", to D&D in their case. Looking at the work of Professor MAR Barker is also recommended because his "Empire Of The Petal Throne"/Tekumel is argued by some to be the "Nikola Tesla" of gaming to Gygax/Arnenson/D&D's "Thomas Edison", many claiming he did it first working from another direction but wasn't quick enough to actual publication/public acknowlegement, as well as shooting himself in the foot with the price of his products.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Heh. Looks like a cool new branch of fanfiction, and a good one, at that.

The only one I didn't get at first was the second one, but when I saw the comments, I facepalmed.

Anywho! Let me try my own... let's see..

The solider was practically crawling by the time he reached the throne room. He had to inform his majesty of this new threat, at all costs!
"Sir! We have...a..situation..."

"Out with it private! And address me properly next time!"

"Forgive me, your majesty... as you know, we lost contact with the base in the woods last week. We were sent to investigate and found the entire camp devastated. I barely made it out alive!"

"What? What happened?!" The king was gripping tightly onto his personal weapon, a large mallet.

"There was this...creature. It appeared that the research team at the base had recovered it from a meteorite crater. It appeared harmless... Sargent Doo released it." He inched closer to the kings throne. "It... IT ATE HIM!!!"

"What? That's impossible!" The king was angry now. "Sgt. Doo is one of the best fighters in the kingdom! And with his laser, I highly doubt he could be taken out by any creature!"

"It... didn't so much eat him... it swallowed him whole. It was like it's mouth was a black hole or something... gun and all.. and then... It shot a laser EXACTLY like the one Sargent Doo used. It slaughtered our company. The ones left alive retreated, but it followed us." The Private shook. "We hit it with all we had. Bombs, flamethrowers, swords, arrows, aerial bombardments... It swallowed everything, and assimilated the weapons and skills of those it killed. The lucky ones... got spat back out as...some kind of weird energy."

"What the fuck..." The king said. "This is...not happening. It can't be."

"Even our best generals died... aerial commander Blade was brought down somehow... Apollo and Luna were massacred... And I don't Even want to THINK about what happened to the Squeak Squad..."

[HEADING=2]BOOM[/HEADING]

"What the fuck was that!?!" The king was clutching his chest.

"That's probably the Halberd. I picked up radio chatter on the way here that it had been invaded by the creature. That means it's not too far away." The Private started going to the west side of the throne room, which opened onto a balcony. Along the way, he dropped something "I'm sorry your majesty, but I do not want to die like the rest of them. Goodbye."

And then he jumped.

The King was in shock. he had never seen anyone die before. He noticed what the private had dropped, and picked it up. It was a photograph of the creature. It was covered in blood, which gave it a bright pink color. It looked ferocious. He got on the hot line to his security staff.

"Security? This is King Dee III. Get as many citizens up here from the town as you can. And start stockpiling food; we're going to be here for a long while."

If you can figure out what game(s) this story is based on, you win my respect.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Ih8pkmn said:

The only one I didn't get at first was the second one, but when I saw the comments, I facepalmed.

The solider was practically crawling by the time he reached the throne room. He had to inform his majesty of this new threat, at all costs!

"Forgive me, your majesty... as you know, we lost contact with the base in the woods last week. We were sent to investigate and found the entire camp devastated. I barely made it out alive!"

"What? What happened?!" The king was gripping tightly onto his personal weapon, a large mallet.

"There was this...creature. It appeared that the research team at the base had recovered it from a meteorite crater. It appeared harmless... Sargent Doo released it." He inched closer to the kings throne. "It... IT ATE HIM!!!"

"What? That's impossible!" The king was angry now. "Sgt. Doo is one of the best fighters in the kingdom! And with his laser, I highly doubt he could be taken out by any creature!"

"It... didn't so much eat him... it swallowed him whole. It was like it's mouth was a black hole or something... gun and all.. and then... It shot a laser EXACTLY like the one Sargent Doo used. It slaughtered our company. The ones left alive retreated, but it followed us." The Private shook. "We hit it with all we had. Bombs, flamethrowers, swords, arrows, aerial bombardments... It swallowed everything, and assimilated the weapons and skills of those it killed. The lucky ones... got spat back out as...some kind of weird energy."

"Even our best generals died... aerial commander Blade was brought down somehow... Apollo and Luna were massacred... And I don't Even want to THINK about what happened to the Squeak Squad..."

"That's probably the Halberd. I picked up radio chatter on the way here that it had been invaded by the creature. That means it's not too far away." The Private started going to the west side of the throne room, which opened onto a balcony. Along the way, he dropped something "I'm sorry your majesty, but I do not want to die like the rest of them. Goodbye."

And then he jumped.

The King was in shock. he had never seen anyone die before. He noticed what the private had dropped, and picked it up. It was a photograph of the creature. It was covered in blood, which gave it a bright pink color. It looked ferocious. He got on the hot line to his security staff.

"Security? This is King Dee III. Get as many citizens up here from the town as you can. And start stockpiling food; we're going to be here for a long while."

Kirby's Dream Land

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
LadyRhian said:
Ih8pkmn said:

And then he jumped.

Kirby's Dream Land
I was just thinking Kirby games in general, but I suppose that works.