Vigilo, Confido - An XCOM RP (Open/PM for Entry) (Started)

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Baxter leaned forward, and shook her hand forward, and stayed leaning forward to listen, keeping quiet. When the ship took of, he slammed his head against the back, falling unconscious.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Cole shifted in his seat to account for the sudden thrust, it definitely was alot of power for a transport but it seems to be experimental so who was he to question it.

"So, where are we going anyway?"

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
21:40 Local (UTC +1)
February 25th, 2015
Restricted Airspace over Central Africa

Hagen had been prepared for the sudden speed boost from the Skyranger, but even still, she had been thrown about quite a bit. Nonetheless, she had recoved quickly and settled comfortably back into her seat. The trip would last mere minutes before they were home now.

It was silent in the cabin for several minutes, as the various occupants attempted to adjust for the sudden acceleration, or, in Yates case, slept soundly from bumping his head. It was after this silent pause that Bracken spoke up, asking about their destination.

"Now now, I..." her voice trailed off as she became acutely aware that the Skyranger had begun to slow down. Within a minute, they had decreased their speed and altitude significantly. And then, as if on cue, the Skyranger seemed to slow to nearly a standstill, followed by the distinct feeling of descent. "Maybe the question you should be asking, Mr. Bracken, is 'where are we now?'."

The descent lasted for nearly 2 minutes, and Brit took the oppertunity to look around the Skyranger's cabin and take in the facial expressions of the various passengers. The expressions of the pilots as they realized that the craft they were riding in was actually a VTOL-capable craft.

At last, the Skyranger touched down and the rear ramp opened, revealing the buzzing hive that was XCOM HQ's Hanger. Brit rose from her seat and started down the ramp.

"To answer your question, Mr. Bracken, You are Argh!!!"

Hagen nearly collapsed at the base of the ramp, taking nearly a minute to recover and regain her footing.

Damn my leg!

Having stood back up, Hagen turned her attention back to the group of new arrivals. "Uh, sorry about that. Anyways, Welcome, to Headquarters, your new home. If you'll just follow me, I can give you the CliffNotes tour, get you settled, and then finally explain what all the secrecy's been about. So.....Oh, no. uh, can someone help the American?"

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
"Neh." Baxter lazily pawed at Cole, before opening his eyes, and trying to remember what happened. "Why does it feel like a train made of Mohammad Ali's just hit me in the head?"

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Hmm a tour. I wonder what high powered gadgets these people got holed up in here Razvan thought.

"Excuse me..." he spoke out, "a tours nice and all but I was wondering if you could start with the bedrooms as I'm exhausted." he gave out a yawn.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
"Well, we're here right? Must've been out for awhile." without listening, he hopped off, and rejoined the group, rubbing his head, "So what's this about a tour? I'm with him here, beds would be nice."

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
21:45 Local (UTC +1)
February 25th, 2015
XCOM HQ, Undisclosed Location in Central Africa

"Beds? Sure, I'll show you to your bunks, they're in the Barracks. Come on, follow me."

Hagen led the group from the Skyranger towards the Hanger exit "If you look up, you'll notice that the night sky is nowhere in view. There's a very good reason for that, which I'm sure is quite obvious." Hagen said, pointing towards the now-sealed Hanger entrance high above their heads.

"Through here" as the group entered the entrance hall for the base proper "is where things get interesting. On the right you'll see the entrance to one of the base armories; And through here..."

The group followed Hagen through the door at the end of the entrance corridor, and emerged into Mission Control "...is where I work. This, is Mission Control, the command center for all of our operations that we undertake. Feel free to stop by anytime, introduce yourselves to the staff. Moving on..."

Now Hagen led the group further into the base, past various support areas, elevators, storage rooms, and other miscellaneous structures, before finally arriving at the Barracks. Hagen led the assembled posse of recruits into the central lobby of the Barracks. "Welcome home, people. This is the Barracks. Dorms are through that door on the right, and they're in multiple levels. Stairs only through there. Plenty of bunks, though; just pick an empty one and fall in it. Get your stuff in the locker, and settle in. Below you, through the door on the left, is the stairs to the rec area, the gym, the troop cafeteria, and the infirmary. The elevator in the center here leads to the Command Level, which include the offices for Command personnel,  such as the Commander and yours truly. The Situation Room is also up there."

Finally, Hagen turned to the whole group, addressing them all "Alright, just a couple quick things before I leave you. First, and this is for you, Dr. Schmidt, the Research and Engineering dorms are not located in the Barracks. They're two levels down, and you can get to them from the Mission Control elevator. The rest of you are welcome to stop there in your spare time and introduce yourselves to the staff, and feel free to do the same in Mission Control. Alright, last bit of business before I let you guys go. There's a mandatory briefing for all new arrivals at 23:00 in the Situation Room. I know, I know, it sucks that you can't just fall in bed right away, but trust me, we can answer all of your questions then. It's  22:05 right now, so you guys can get a little rest in right now, though. Just be upstairs in under an hour."

With that, Brit left the group to their own devices and entered the Command Level elevator.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Baxter went to medical bay for some aspirin for his headache. He left with a bandaged head and some aspirin, and with 30 minutes left, he went to introduce himself to the armory.

He knocked on the door a few times, and looked in. "Hello? Anybody home?"

TyranidXX

Feb 17, 2010
Thomas remained silent throughout the trip to & slight tour of the base. Once left to their own devices, he placed his bag in an available locker & explored the area before settling at the bar, mixing himself a light rum & coke before practicing his pool-skills on the nearby pool table.

Fishtie

Sep 19, 2010
Colina was somewhat disconcerted when she was given a seeming run of the new base, The place didn't seem like a NATO installation; and it certainly didn't feel like one. Colina had worked with plenty of experimental units recently; it was most of her job these days; but even they were more organized, more orderly, more... well... military.

Apparently here though, new personnel were encouraged to wander at random, and the first official action would be an in person breafing with no prior materials at all. The fact that a non-combat transport was enough to actually incapacitate a team member did not do anything to reassure.

Colina didn't feel tired in the slightest so she quickly dumped her stuff in an unoccupied room, choosing one of the ones closer to the hanger, and wandered off to try an find a snack.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Cole placed his rucksack in an unoccupied locker and locked it, then he wandered off towards the hangar intent on studying that transport.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Razvan was exhausted after the long journey and the fact that he couldn't just go to sleep now was a real downer. However there were more pressing matters he had to attend to. For instance he was really curious to see what kind of fighter jets this organisation had. So without saying a word he shadowed the man who also seemed to be headed towards the hangar.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Seeing there were no armorers, he simply wandered in. He looked around for something that might interest him, and found an odd looking shotgun. He picked it up to test it out. The target at the firing range exploded into ash from the lasers.
"Uhm... about that... uhm..." he set the gun down and ran out of the armory.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
22:30 (UTC +1)
Februrary 25th, 2015
XCOM Headquarters

Brit Hagen sat behind her desk in her personal office, just a door down from Commander Attano's. A minute ago, she had been looking at security camera footage from Armory C in the Barracks; but now she was looking at nothing, her head buried in the palms of her hands.

Why, oh why, did we recruit that American?

The American in question, Baxter Yates, had found his way into one of the armories in the Barracks, and had decided to test out one of XCOM's more unusal weapons out on the firing range, without telling anyone. The weapon he had pulled, a multi-barreled Metal Storm shotgun, had apparently been loaded with Incendiary Tracer rounds, judging from the laser-like discharge, and the fact that the cardboard target had been reduced to ash.

Brit sighed as she looked over the Armory inventory log, having minimized Yates' impromptu introduction to XCOM's big "toy chest". Why that weapon, a hideously unreliable piece of garbage that it was (only two like it were actually on-base, having been brought for testing and evaluation purposes, XCOM would not field such a poor weapon if Hagen had any say in the matter), had been readily available, much less unsecured and loaded would be a question that would have to be posed to the Chief Armorer.

Having made a mental note to find and fire the armorer who had left that weapon out (and to dock Yates' pay while she was at it), Brit had shut off her computer and was about to get up when she heard a knock at her door.

"It's open"

And so the door slid open, revealing Commander Attano.

"If this is about the screw-up in the armory, Luc, don't worry about it. I've got it covered."

The Commander raised an eyebrow and chuckled "I am sure you do; but that's not what I was -ere to discuss." Attano walked over to one of the chairs in front of Hagen's desk and took a seat "Endo told me that you were having issues with your leg? She said that you nearly fell out of the Skyranger as just as soon as she landed?"

"It's nothing." Hagen replied automatically.

"Are you sure? Brit, if it's giving you trouble..."

"I'm not going to the Infirmary, Luc, and I'm not using that damn cane."

The Commander sighed. Regardless of how many times he tried to help his long-time friend, regardless of what he did to help her, she was always too stubborn ti listen. Too proud.

"As you say. Very well, then. Shall we get ready to give the new arrivals their briefing? Perhaps we should include a segment on the proper use of XCOM property?"

Brit indulged herself in a smile and light chuckle "I'm sure Yates will find that to be very interesting. Sure, let's get to it."

With that, Attano stood and walked around the desk, extending his hand to help Hagen up from her chair. He matched her smile. "Let's go, then. Perhaps while we wait you can explain to me why we recruited this sorry lot in the first place?"

And with that, the pair left the Central Officer's office and headed for the Situation Room. It being 22:41, the new recruits would be due upstairs soon.

TyranidXX

Feb 17, 2010
Having grown bored of practicing his skills at the pool table, Thomas grabbed his still half-full drink & explored the different kinds of alcohol available. While he wasn't much of a drinker, he did have some minor experience with bar-tending & mixing drinks. It was a few minutes later when he noticed the time. "2240... maybe I should... what the hell, it's better to be early then on time." With that thought, he quickly finished his drink and headed up to the Situation room.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Cole looked at his watch and realized he was going to be late soon and walked to the situation room.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Yates calmed down enough to look at a clock.
'22:48. Briefing was at 23:00. Better get going.' he walked, panting slightly towards the situation room. "Who leaves a loaded laser gun lying around?" he muttered, under his breath.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
22:52 (UTC +1)
February 25th, 2015
XCOM Headquarters

Both Commander and Central Officer entered the Situation Room just before the appointed time for the briefing. Upon entering, though, Central Officer Hagen was surprised to see two other individuals in the room already.

"Uh, Luc, who are those two?"

"More recruits, mon amiee. I approved their dossiers seperately from the group you -elped select. I -ad them brought in from Lagos on Golovko's Skyranger. They arrived shortly before you and your group did. I didn't want to spoil the surprise." said the Commander, a smile forming on his face.

Hagen rolled her eyes, before examining the two other recruits. One was fairly normal in appearance, wearing what appeared to be a Canadian Army uniform; while the other, dressed in American ACUs, was a giant of a man. "Who exactly are they, anyways?"

"The bear is an American. Daryl Vanson. Olympic-level athlete, apparently, with an uneventful background. Presumably, he's not as dangerously curious as Yates is, or at the very least, we -ope that he isn't. The small one sitting next to -im is a Canadian, Alexander Summers. That one is....a special case."

"Special case?" Hagen repeated.

"-ere. Perhaps it is better if you read it yourself." the Commander said, pulling a folded piece of paper from his jacket pocket.

Hagen took the paper, apparently a segment of Summers' dossier, and began to read; she raised an eyebrow at the Combat Report included, and raised the other at the mention of "unusual mental and physical conditions. But then she saw the signiture at the bottom.

"Oh, Atchison." Brit said, shaking her head "He probably thinks that Summers is an alien, or something. Why are you so concerned about this?"

"Atchison is undeniably an overly-superstitious soldier, you and I are both well aware of that from our time working with him in Kabul, but I figured that Summers was a good addition to the organization regardless of what that lunatic thinks. Still, what do you make of the incident recorded on the paper?"

"To me, it seems like Summers just had good soldiering instincts. He saw a spot for a likely ambush and took cover out of caution. What's your read on it?"

"Much the same as yours, though the cynical side of me continues to bring up the possibility of cowardice. Perhaps Summers was simply trying to ensure -is own safety in an obviously dangerous area, and be good fortune, allowed -is unit to survive by following -is example."

"An Accidental Hero?"

"Is there any other kind?"

Hagen smiled at that "No. No there isn't." At this point, both Hagen and Attano became acutely aware that the Situation Rooom had filled up with the remaining recruits, the group that had arrived with Hagen in Endo's Skyranger "Looks like it's time, Luc."

"Indeed" the Commander said, as he strode towards the front of the room, coming to a stop in front of the large Television screen. Attano cleared his throat, and began.

"Bonsoir" he began, using French to begin as an indicator of his noticably accented English "I welcome you all to our organization. I am Commander Lucas Attano, the man in charge."

The Commander began to slowly pace from one end of the screen to another, eyeing every recruit as he passed. "No doubt that you all are wondering the exact nature of this operation, conjuring all manner of ideas in your minds. Well, I am -ere to rid the air of the secrecy that has surrounded all of you since you were ordered to arrive at an airfield and board a mysterious aircraft. You are -ere to join an organization that -as been formed by a Council of Nations, a coalition of governments the world over, to combat a threat to the entire world as we know it. A threat beyond the experience, or indeed, the comprehension of any established military force on this planet."

Attano paused for a moment, examining the faces of the crowd, gauging their reactions. They all seemed somewhat perplexed, at the moment.

Now, for the shocking moment...

"As such, I -ereby welcome you all to the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, or XCOM, for short."

The Commander took another pause, listening too the quiet gasps and other surprised noises from the assebled crowd of recruits. Some faces showed shock, some remained impassive, and some took on a look of disbelief.

"I know that this may sound like an elaborate joke" the Commander continued "But I assure you the threat is quite real. And to combat it, we will need your assistance. All of you -ave been chosen for this organization, -andpicked to -elp us. I understand that all of this may be -ard to believe, but I implore you, -elp us. Join us."

The Commander finally stopped, and once again examined the crowd.

They still may require some convincing. Certainly, they are still no doubt curious...

"If you -ave any questions, please feel free to ask. Me and Central Officer -agen will be -appy to provide what answers we can. There are no more secrets, now."