Villains you would join if given the choice between them and the "good guys".

josak

Oct 13, 2013
dyre said:
I do feel bad for the CIS, though an alliance with the dark side is not a good long term strategy. The Empire straight-up sucks though.

As for my own ideas, hmmm...would it be a cop-out if I said I'd side with the marines in Spec-Ops The Line? Also, I'd side against Napoleon in Napoleon: Total War :p
Jesus Christ why? I really ended up hating those marines even though I was controlling one of them.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Zhukov said:
In my ongoing attempts to see if anime has anything to offer me, I've been watching Code Geass.

Yeah... the Britannian's are all evil and foppish and stuff, buuuuut I doubt I'd have to put much thought into a choice between Team Cornelia and Team Smug-Overdressed-Overpowered-Little-Shit-Who-Is-Totally-A-Genius-No-Really-We-Said-So.
I can get not liking Lelouch, but to be motivated to join Team Cornelia? That's a little harsh. The King is also on that team and I find him more insufferable than Lelouch. They're trying to destroy the cultural identity of a race, and they're assholes. But the good thing about Code Geass is there is good and bad, but they come in different flavours. I'd be happy joining Team Euphemia or Team Suzaku, despite things I won't spoil.

Also, as many others have said, Mutant Brotherhood, definitely. If I was lucky enough to even be a mutant. I'd probably be some pathetic mutant sympathising human, but if I were a mutant, I know exactly where I'd be. The X Men come across as incredibly naive in light of what humanity does to try and wipe mutants out, and humans are just scared of what they don't know and are acting stupidly.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Zhukov said:
In my ongoing attempts to see if anime has anything to offer me, I've been watching Code Geass.

Yeah... the Britannian's are all evil and foppish and stuff, buuuuut I doubt I'd have to put much thought into a choice between Team Cornelia and Team Smug-Overdressed-Overpowered-Little-Shit-Who-Is-Totally-A-Genius-No-Really-We-Said-So.
I can get not liking Lelouch, but to be motivated to join Team Cornelia? That's a little harsh. The King is also on that team and I find him more insufferable than Lelouch. They're trying to destroy the cultural identity of a race, and they're assholes.
Sure, like I said, they're pretty evil on the whole.

But at least they're not Mr How-The-Fuck-Do-People-Not-Fall-Over-Themselves-Laughing-Whenever-They-See-My-Outfit. That goes a long way in my book.

Plus Cornelia is/was kind of awesome once you filter out the anime-ish-ness. Granted, her dress sense is a bit lacking as well, but she's capable of handing out an arse kicking, she's competent without being handed some OP bullshit magic power, she's not unreasonable despite being aggressive and enjoying battle a little bit too much, she's mindful of her responsibilities and she dotes on her little sister, even if said sister is an insufferable little sack of hair.

Favourite moment in the show so far was when she effortlessly beat the shit out of Lelouch's OP flying bullshit robot using nothing but a standard mech and a bad temper... before falling victim to aforementioned OP bullshit magic.

Yup, definitely Team Powdered Wig for me.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
dyre said:
I do feel bad for the CIS, though an alliance with the dark side is not a good long term strategy. The Empire straight-up sucks though.

As for my own ideas, hmmm...would it be a cop-out if I said I'd side with the marines in Spec-Ops The Line? Also, I'd side against Napoleon in Napoleon: Total War :p
Siding against Napoleon wouldn't exactly be joining the bad guy's from a historical point of view.
For all the scientific advancement under his command, he still was the agressor in the wars.

But given how the russian invasion and Waterloo went, joining Napoleon wouldn't be the best career move either.

joining the galactic empire?
No thanks, the Stormtroopers are terible shoots.
And your commander can choke you from a distance, just for pointing out a obvious flaw in his plans.

No, i would join COBRA.
Granded, they can't shoot for shit as well, but so does GI-Joe.
So the mortality rate is lower

They always have cool world domination plots that ultamtly fail.
But that just gives job security.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
The matrix. Totally with the robots on this one.

You ever stop to think how many thousands of people the "good guys" killed? Not just the security guards and cops and such, but like when Neo flies through the street so fast he fucking explodes building behind him. "Oh he wants to save his girlfriend?" "What about the girlfriends of the thousand people he just killed?" "Fuck them, they're not on screen."

Their entire premise sucks too. They're killing innocents in droves for a profoundly shitty cause.

"Your perfectly normal and relatively decent lives are a lie! We'll bring you into a desolate, barren, and shitty world that couldn't possibly support you, EVEN IF WE HAVE TO STRAIGHT UP MURDER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO DO IT!"

Yeah. Sure thing, hero.

Jul 9, 2011
MorganL4 said:
You know, I always had a soft spot for Shylock from Merchant of Venice.... The guy gets put in this no win situation because he made a perfectly clear, perfectly legitimate (though rather morbid) deal with someone who knew the consequences going in, its just that the guy who failed to hold up his end of the bargain was REALLY well connected.
You, sir and/or madam and/or other, have hit the nail right on the head. Shylock was, is, and will probably always be my one and only answer to the discussion prompt. There's just no beating how deliciously repugnant the "heroes" look once the play is over, once you see how low they've stooped in order to destroy his life and his fortunes. They don't just waste his money, they steal his family from him, they cheat the rest of his wealth from him, and they force him to denounce his own religion. What a bunch of morally just Venetians they are.

Hath not a Jew eyes? indeed.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
The Helgans in Killzone.

Because the US- Uhm I mean UCN drove them out of the planets they bought from the UCN in the first place, just because the helghans was becoming more economically powerful than the UCN, and now when they try to take it back they are somehow the bad guys.

Also the Helghan soldiers look like bad-asses.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Madara from Naruto Shipudden. Screw reality, put me into a fantasy dream where my desire come true!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I guess while we're on the subject of Star Wars, the Sith. But NOT for the reasons you would usually think.

I believe that both the Jedi and the Sith are narrow-minded. Each side has it's use and each side has its problems. For example, the Light side may generally act too defensive when the situation calls for a more offensive approach. Sometimes one must do evil acts for the greater good. And the problems with the Sith... Well, those are pretty obvious.

No, the best approach is one that learns from both sides, combining the good teachings and stripping out the lies from either one.

So having said that, I would join the the Sith, BUT ONLY for a set amount of time. Afterwards, I would join the Jedi, again for a set amount of time until I have successfully combined both disciplines.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
I have a few here.

Zoltun Kulle from Diablo 3. Y'know why? Because he was right about everything. Sure he was a little on the power crazy side, but he rightfully predicted the big 'twist' later in the game. I wish I could have just lived as a god instead.

The Tau. Ok, they're not really 'villains' so to speak, but if I was a human living in the 41st millennium then propaganda would make them out as villains. I'd much rather serve the greater good than be given a lasgun and thrown at a swarm of 'nids.

The Fire Nation. Basically the Earth Kingdom was run by its military police whom had the war strategy of "pretend it isn't happening, and it will go away". Hell, maybe those outlying earth kingdom towns would actually thrive if their ruling class took an interest in them once in a while

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Where do I begin? gosh...

I would definitely join the Empire and/or the Sith (depending on timeframe).
I would join Magneto and the brotherhood.
I'd be a demon if I were in the Charmed universe.
There is no question that I would have accepted Yggdrasill's world view and joined Cruxis in Tales of Symphonia.
I would duel alongside Pegasus in Yugioh (and/or Kaiba depending on how you view him as an anti-hero).
And speaking of Anti-heroes, I would have joined Vegeta every time he was evil.
I would definitely serve under Ganandorf in any Zelda universe.
I'd have chosen Sephiroth's, Seifer's and Kuja's side in their respective Final Fantasy's - and Maester Seymour's as well come to think of it.
Beyblading with Kai would have been an easy choice (I don't remember much about that show since the last time I saw it was like 10 years ago but I do remember Kai being bad and awesome).
When Grand Apothecary Putress plague bombed the Wrathgate and killed scourge and the living I was so happy to accept my new Forsaken way of life, I would have followed Putress and Varimthras to the grave.
I would have joined Gaius and the Chimeriad in Tales of Xillia.
I always take Choas's side in all the Final Fantasy spin-offs (Theatrythym, dissidia).

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment though I can't think of many times I've ever sided with the good guys, I find good guys so boring and unmotivated (or motivated for boring reasons). When I am siding with the 'good guys' their 'good-ness' is usually marginal - Like Thranduil in the Hobbit.

I've talked at length to friends about the good vs. evil thing and there is absolutely no question that if I were to attain or manifest supernatural powers, I would use them for evil... maybe not outright evil but I wouldn't burden myself with lame rules and I would pretty much do whatever I wanted until I decide it is time to take over the world.

EDIT: Joining Voldemort and becoming a death eater is a no brainer for me too, I mean, come on, who would want to fight fair and not use forbidden spells when the bad guys CAN and DO use forbidden spells one of which is an INSTANT DEATH spell.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Doctor Doom.

Seriously, he's the one genius in the Marvel Universe that not only invents useful tech but SHARES IT WITH HIS PEOPLE. The people of Latveria are all well fed, 100% employment and probably all have free fiber optic internet on their quantum computers. Yeah, there is a distinct lack of "Freedom", but freedom to do what exactly? All of their basic needs are being met, and if a person is healthy and fed, then every other problem falls by the wayside.

Seriously, think on this. In the US we have massive income inequality, pollution, corruption, unemployment, starvation and shitty healthcare. In a land like that, you want Freedom of Speech to ***** about your life. But if you live in a place with NONE of that....what is there to complain about? Plus, you know crime in Latveria has got to be REALLY low.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Question - Is this purely restricted to fiction?

I might be willing to join EA.. but I guess that's no different than working for the Sith empire.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Whatislove said:
Where do I begin? gosh...

I would definitely join the Empire and/or the Sith (depending on timeframe).
I would join Magneto and the brotherhood.
I'd be a demon if I were in the Charmed universe.
There is no question that I would have accepted Yggdrasill's world view and joined Cruxis in Tales of Symphonia.
I would duel alongside Pegasus in Yugioh (and/or Kaiba depending on how you view him as an anti-hero).
And speaking of Anti-heroes, I would have joined Vegeta every time he was evil.
I would definitely serve under Ganandorf in any Zelda universe.
I'd have chosen Sephiroth's, Seifer's and Kuja's side in their respective Final Fantasy's - and Maester Seymour's as well come to think of it.
Beyblading with Kai would have been an easy choice (I don't remember much about that show since the last time I saw it was like 10 years ago but I do remember Kai being bad and awesome).
When Grand Apothecary Putress plague bombed the Wrathgate and killed scourge and the living I was so happy to accept my new Forsaken way of life, I would have followed Putress and Varimthras to the grave.
I would have joined Gaius and the Chimeriad in Tales of Xillia.
I always take Choas's side in all the Final Fantasy spin-offs (Theatrythym, dissidia).

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment though I can't think of many times I've ever sided with the good guys, I find good guys so boring and unmotivated (or motivated for boring reasons). When I am siding with the 'good guys' their 'good-ness' is usually marginal - Like Thranduil in the Hobbit.

I've talked at length to friends about the good vs. evil thing and there is absolutely no question that if I were to attain or manifest supernatural powers, I would use them for evil... maybe not outright evil but I wouldn't burden myself with lame rules and I would pretty much do whatever I wanted until I decide it is time to take over the world.

EDIT: Joining Voldemort and becoming a death eater is a no brainer for me too, I mean, come on, who would want to fight fair and not use forbidden spells when the bad guys CAN and DO use forbidden spells one of which is an INSTANT DEATH spell.
yeah id so go deatheater, only you know id kill half those idiots put voldy in a catatonic state and rule though his sleeping soon to be dead corpse. Its funny how easy that would be for a muggle born in those books as most wizards know nothing about guns.

The empire from the old republic; honestly they should have won that war but you know......sith were in charge.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Solidus Snake from Metal Gear Solid 2. He wanted to liberate the world from the Patriots' grasp, because their censorship of information prevented people from passing on their culture and ideas to others.

That said, he was also rather amoral, ruthlessly exploiting others to achieve his goals, and killing innocents when it suited him. As he said himself, more than anything, he was out to make his mark in history, and leave a legacy by which he would be remembered.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I admit, I'd be highly tempted to become a vampire in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why? Because they make being a vampire out to be so much fun.

Granted, I'd go nowhere near Sunnydale, or anywhere else that has a high vampire hunter population.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
josak said:
dyre said:

Jesus Christ why? I really ended up hating those marines even though I was controlling one of them.
I'm talking about the marines, not the Delta Force operatives which you control

iamclockwork

Feb 9, 2011
Admiral Aken Bosch. If there was ever an anti-hero demonized for trying to save... Well... Everything, it was him. The fact that he despises the animals who follow him and his admission that he is now powerless to stop them make him very tragic to me. I figure he could use a friend ;)

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Jeroenr said:
dyre said:

Siding against Napoleon wouldn't exactly be joining the bad guy's from a historical point of view.
For all the scientific advancement under his command, he still was the agressor in the wars.

But given how the russian invasion and Waterloo went, joining Napoleon wouldn't be the best career move either.

joining the galactic empire?
No thanks, the Stormtroopers are terible shoots.
And your commander can choke you from a distance, just for pointing out a obvious flaw in his plans.

No, i would join COBRA.
Granded, they can't shoot for shit as well, but so does GI-Joe.
So the mortality rate is lower

They always have cool world domination plots that ultamtly fail.
But that just gives job security.
Well, the OP said "good and bad given the framework of the game," not good and bad historically. Also I would say Napoleon's greatest achievements were in government and law.

Actually, many of Napoleon's generals ended up taking high ranking government posts when the new French republic was restored, so it's not all bad. But I still think I'd side with Wellington.