Violent Video Games "Warped" the Dark Knight Rises Killer

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
So this guy went out dressed up like a couple of Batman villains and killed people at the new Batman movie.

IT MUST BE THOSE VIDEO GAMES THINGS WE'VE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT!!!

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Because y'know, mass killings never happened before the advent of Video Games, the world had peace before the evil video games showed up.

The whole reason that people use video games as an scapegoat is because they were not around when they were growing up so they see it as some kind of black magic, terrorist plot to corrupt the minds of children, and if you look at who the majority of the people are who say this shit I am pretty much guaranteed that it will mostly be far right, fundamental christians who are pro-family and anti-homosexual marriage... which deserve to be shot themselves ironically.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
I thought people were over reacting with the whole "oh the media hates us and every thing is bad and the vidya gaems will be blamed" sentiment.

Christ am I converted.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Doclector said:
That's it. They crossed the fucking line here. I could accept the columbine killers were big doom fans, a complete idiot could thnk that it's connected. I could accept that maybe the norway shooter convinced himself that Call of duty was good target practice, as the guy could probably convince himself that the clouds are inhabited by purple clones of 80s metal bands.

This? This is fucking wrong. They've taken a completely unrelated tragedy and connected it to videogames, just for their damn agenda. This isn't just lies against videogames, this is an insult to the people affected. This cannot be allowed, they have to be punished for this, fined, fired, imprisoned, whatever, this shit cannot be tolerated. It's lies, blatant lies, and I can't believe we've gotten to the point where a newspaper can do that and expect to get away with it not just like they did nothing wrong, but like nothing happened at all.

Honestly, I don't know what I would've done without violent videogames. I'm a fairly aggressive person, and repeatedly, the world gives me reason to think I'm on my damn own, that violence is the only option. That's when I play some videogames and calm down, what the hell would happen if I didn't have that? I'm not fit enough to do an aggressive sport and I've never been, will never be, good at sports. Some poor bank clerk, one of my teachers doing something stupid, some random guy in the street who picked the wrong day to be an asshole, somebody would eventually get it, all if I didn't have that outlet.

These fuckers know nothing. Nothing at all, they're blatantly lying, and the public's gonna eat it the hell up. I'm out, I'm gonna go play halo or something.
You're absolutely right, I want to shit on them or something. They're fabricating anti-gaming bullshit and the concerned parent crowd are lapping it up like ice cream..

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Read the same in the Sunday Times, although it was only a short sentence (leading on from nothing related though).

It is hoped Holmes's computers will provide details of his activities in recent months, notably the extent to which he may have played violent videogames
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
I really don't get some reporters. I think the reporter had no other idea on how to get the paper sold/interesting.

I'd like to point out the extent at which people's stupidity would go to blame video games.

"He watched batman, killed a cinema full of people watching batman, and called himself the joker"

"ah, so the batman films encouraged him?"

"no"

"well what did?"

"world of warcraft"

Haha this hits the nail on the head^^

Not that I want an argument on violence in films to start up, cos I doubt you'd go on a rampage without having some predetermined thing in your brain which would allow you to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if the motive that sparked this particular attack was mimicking The Joker's chaotic and baseless motives in TDK, especially since so far there seems to be little other motive aside from "depression", and he likely has an undiagnosed mental illness.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sincendiary said:
The term assault rifle is rather a misnomer. Basically in legal terms in the United States it means the gun looks scary.

"Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those which are mounted externally)"
It's a wikipedia quote but it's largely accurate.
That's an "assault weapon", not an "assault rifle". The two are mutually exclusive.

Sincendiary said:
However when you question the average military personnel about what they consider an assault weapon they're generally thinking of a squad automatic weapon m249/m240b. Basically something that fires full auto and has belt fed ammunition designed to produce cover fire for small unit tactics or hold a position. It's also black and scary looking so those who don't know anything about weaponry are easily persuaded that other weapons are also these weapons.
Are you sure? I had thought that "assault weapon" was only a US legal term, not used anywhere else.

Well, except in 40k, where it is something you can move and fire.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
"Cum hoc ergo propter hoc"

or

"With this, therefore because of this"

Newspaper journalists, please stop using this blatant logical fallacy to sell your print.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
This is now my go to clip for times like these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4&feature=player_embedded

If you don't have 2.48 to give to the whole thing, skip to 1.30 then tell me who does more to encourage shit like this. I'm sick of the things I love getting scapegoated by a medium that actively ignores professional advice in favour of commercial gain.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
FamoFunk said:
That paper looks like the Sun or Mirror. I'm not surprised, they're nearly as bad as the DM.
It looks to me like the Mail or the Express. OP only has themselves to blame for their choice of reading material.

Jun 7, 2010
OH. MY G- what? How could you be so fucki- UGH! Seriously!? Seriously!? Just...how?...no. No. Nonononono! No! NO! NO! Really? Are you actua- you have to be SHITTING ME! Is this really a thi- is this some kind of awful joke? I mean...really?

...you know what? No, i'm just so- i'm done. I am fucking done. I am literally lost for motherfucking words here...

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
TimeLord said:
maybe you should stop reading the kinds of newspapers where every page is 100% covered with pictures,
and advice others to do so as well.
(first thought; sorry if that sounds offensive, but I think newspapers like these influence people to be more drama hungry and less well educated, considering the truth density of their content)

second thought: everyone called it. Some hoped it wouldn't happen(or at least not too fast).
Once again we're standing here in shame,
knowing that we've been so very RIGHT once again with our predictions of a future full of insanity.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Its just sensationalism, nothing more. Wouldn't worry too much about it considering most sensible people will pick up on that.

Realistically, does it matter if the reasonably impressionable typical reader of that paper thinks games are the work of the devil or something? I dont know, guess Im just getting meh about seeing the media go off on these things every so often - doesnt affect me in anyway so I dont give too much of a monkeys.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
The Plunk said:
Both guns and video games are legal in Switzerland...

So how come no one has tried to re-enact Tribes: Ascend on the Alpine slopes?

EXCUSE ME! I MUST GO TO SWITZERLAND RIGHT NOW!

Really... that is an awesome idea. Anyway got a bunch of useless people? I take everyone, race and gender!

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Jezzascmezza said:
Why must the media hate video games so much?
Because the media - that is, old media - is upset that they are being replaced by newer things that they cannot provide. Since they're being replaced, they're taking a hit to their wallets. Ergo, THING THAT IS COSTING ME MONEY MUST DIE!

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
TimeLord said:
Yep that didn't take very long for the papers to grab their baby bottle for safe assumptions. My paper came through my letterbox today and I sighed when I saw the front page article;

"Sometimes when he was supposed to be reading a paper or something like that, I would see him playing online role-playing games like World Of Warcraft and League of Legends"

And that is the only sentance in a 3 page spread on the article that mentions anything about video games.

So what do you think? Are you going to go out on a rampage from playing WoW? Or are the newspapers jumping on their usual bandwagon again?

Oh and the paper helped the issue by dubbing him the "Warped Knight". Yeah cause that's what he needs, a name to remember him by.
Which paper was this?

Honestly I've seen this before and they rarely last more than a week anymore.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I suppose violent films like the Dark Knight Rises had nothing to do with it then?

... I doubt it, but it does seem a lot more likely than video games but we all know video games corrupt people and not films.