"Virgin shaming": I know we have a lot of "but what about men's problems?" people out there.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
A lot of guys seem to really erroneously think that men are a minority because because all areas of law like pushing babies on women(the "child custody" anti-feminists, for instance). And that feminists don't care about men's problems at all just because they realize society is a patriarchy and women are a minority(being a minority isn't about numbers. It's about social status. See: apartheid South Africa).

Well, I'm here to say that I hate slut shaming. And that is has another, also horrible counterpart for men: virgin shaming. Sad thing about double standards is, men don't get much slut shaming, as they get virgin shaming.

This is as common on the internet as anywhere. Of course, most virgin shaming comes from guys at other guys. Guys really go after other guys when they start arguing with other guys, that the other person is a "pathetic virgin". Seriously, how many times have you seen this insult on the internet? I've probably seen it several thousand times.

There are guys in high school who have started admitting they aren't actually super interested in having sex right now, they just want to have sex with a popular girl so that they can brag to friends about "getting laid", to be loved by their male peers. Because a man often literally feels judged for not sexually conquesting women. It's a disgusting pressure men should not have, and I know I'm going to take flack for this, but quite honestly, quite a bit misogynist.

The idea that "men give love to get sex" is a stupid lie. And in many cases, men probably have sex to get love, ...from their peers. A lot of men want to have sex more, just to feel better about themselves. A very, very unhealthy desire and social pressure.

Furthermore, I think that virgin shaming and slut shaming are directly related to each. And as a feminist(or at least a woman heavily influenced by it), I am, quite frankly, disgusted by the situation of gender both ways. Women should not be expected to not have sex, and men should not be expected to have sex.

I would like to add to this, there is some minor slut shaming for men and virgin shaming for women. I think the virgin-whore dichotomy is worse for women. But the pressure for men to have lots of sex is fairly unique and also downright disgusting. It's almost like all men are expected to be imperialists sexually. Especially if you're a young man and not some old political figure. And I don't think men would be expected to be sexually active if women weren't expected to be sexually pure.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think in highschool (all girls boarding school people)

there are alot of mixed messages wtih girls and sexuality...its "bad" to be a "slut" aparently (but its ok for guys?)

aproaching sex with the "pure virgin" mindset makes you niave and is also a bad thing

but dont let anyone get ahold of photos/video or any info whats so ever...then that makes you a dirty slut

so its bad to be a virgin and also bad to have sex..makes sense

personally I dont veiw virginity as anything particually sacred or shameful, nor would I put sex on a pedastal

also if I guy has "virgin" as a pre-requisite...yeah..fuck you

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Vault101 said:
I know right?

HOW DARE PEOPLE HAVE PREFERENCES??? HOW DARE THEY?!?!? DAMN FUCKING SEXIST PIGS!
alright..I may have come across as a little more agressive than needed..suuure its their right and all

but its damn hypocritical if you ask me (mabye less if they guy himself is a virgin) to me its less about treating me as a person..and more as property..or a "prize"

liek I said..I dont think virginity is all that "special" and coming from the days of relious, I dont think anyone is "unpure" or "corrupted" if they have had sex

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
I dont think anyone is "unpure" or "corrupted" if they have had sex
Bah, and I was all set on charging in yelling "Corrupt me, defile me, make me unpure, PLEASE!"

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Remembering "sex sells", media and entertainment have no reason to talk about the large portion of the male population that gives up on sex in favor of the perpetual bachelor's lifestyle: dirty apartment, bad hygiene, video game marathons, etc.

In fact man-boys are nothing new, they have always existed, and the purpose of all this peer pressure to try and make them have sex is society's way of saying "you don't meet the minimum standards of a human being, clean yourself up." It's not really about the sex, it's about withholding sex to force them to grow up and take better care of their body and mind, and realize more of their unexplored potential.

Courtship brings out good qualities in people. Obviously for men who have to turn on the charm to try and get laid, but also for women whose traditional job is to delay the lay without causing the gentleman to lose interest, which requires that she turn on the charm as well. The commonality between "pathetic virgins" and "shameful sluts" is that both groups have given up on courtship, which leaves their charms to atrophy.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I have NEVER seen a man think they are in the minority, ever.
Then you don't have much experience with anti-feminists.

Matthew94 said:
2. The way feminists twist issues so they are the victim.
It's not twisting. It's the truth. Treating women as an object of sexual conquest isn't exactly flattering.

Most of the problems men face in society due to sexist double standards, is because of male supremacist thought.
isometry said:
bad hygiene
Then, shouldn't people focus on their unhealthy lifestyle or whatever, instead of attacking their sex life? Some people don't want to have sex, and that's okay.

Also, bachelors and virgins aren't the same thing. There are many "bachelors" who have loads of sex, and are praised for it.
isometry said:
women whose traditional job is to delay the lay
Thus, the social problem of "slut shaming".

isometry said:
The commonality between "pathetic virgins" and "shameful sluts" is that both groups have given up on courtship, which leaves their charms to atrophy.
There's nothing wrong with giving up on courtship.

And there's no reason for men to be eager to have sex or women to try to put it off. This in itself is a very uncharming aspect of human culture. Men shouldn't be treating sex as a gift or reward to be earned. And women shouldn't be afraid to have sex when they want to. This whole thing is making the dating world very predatory and sexist.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
isometry said:
Remembering "sex sells", media and entertainment have no reason to talk about the large portion of the male population that gives up on sex in favor of the perpetual bachelor's lifestyle: dirty apartment, bad hygiene, video game marathons, etc.

In fact man-boys are nothing new, they have always existed, and the purpose of all this peer pressure to try and make them have sex is society's way of saying "you don't meet the minimum standards of a human being, clean yourself up." It's not really about the sex, it's about withholding sex to force them to grow up and take better care of their body and mind, and realize more of their unexplored potential.

Courtship brings out good qualities in people. Obviously for men who have to turn on the charm to try and get laid, but also for women whose traditional job is to delay the lay without causing the gentleman to lose interest, which requires that she turn on the charm as well. The commonality between "pathetic virgins" and "shameful sluts" is that both groups have given up on courtship, which leaves their charms to atrophy.
Why must courtships and sex be the same thing? There ARE sex clubs out there. This isn't the tribal era where sex must be with courtship.

The age when sex MUST be with courtship are long gone. Its antiquated. You also don't need to date someone for a personality to develop. To say that your "charms" depends on someone else for validation is a pathetic argument.
My whole point is that courtship is one way to bring out the best in people. It motivates them to improve their lives, be successful, sharpen their mental abilities, do interesting things.

It has nothing to do with "validation from other people", it has to do with deep instinctual motivation that comes from evolution. Here is an article about a psychological study that found men use a larger vocabulary when courting:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/homo-consumericus/201003/men-use-fancy-words-impress-the-ladies

This is just a case of psychology proving something obvious that we all know from personal experience: courtship leads to self-improvement.

As for sex without courtship, that's fine but who cares. The whole point is that courtship leads to self-improvement, that is why society frowns on men who give up and women who put out too quickly.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Bodies are bodies. Do what you want, just make sure that you share it when the time comes that you will be entering a sexual encounter. Were I a guy, I would want to know if my girl has an STD. As a lady, I do want to know if it would be my guy's first time. Friends and acquaintances, though, that's their business. I won't shame a lady who has had multiple partners, and no way I would shame a guy for not having sex yet. Having sex to look cool is really lame, though. "It's my body and it's my choice" can apply to guys, too, in this sense.

And some dudes have a virgin preference? I'm honestly interested to understand that. Unless it's some sort of fetish. Is it some sort of fetish?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Nope, I clearly don't. Seeing as the split of men/women is roughly 50/50 neither can be called a minority.
As I already stated in the OP, knowing someone would make this ignorant statement.

Being a minority isn't about numbers. It's about social status. See: Apartheid South Africa.

Whites clearly had lower numbers than blacks. But blacks were still the minority.

Matthew94 said:
And that's where I leave this thread.

If you think "male supremacy" is the source of nearly all of the problems men and women face then I just won't bother with you.

I doubt you'll mind much either.
Then you'll stay ignorant of the truth.
isometry said:
It has nothing to do with "validation from other people", it has to do with deep instinctual motivation that comes from evolution.
Oh great, most "humans have sexist instincts" crap. At this rate, this is going to devolve into an evolutionary psychology/"scientific" sexism thread.

Not to mention psychology hardly counts as a "science" and psychology today can hardly claim anything about human instinct. You just cited psychology today to prove your claim about sexist instincts. Not something about neurology. This sort of thing is as scientifically bunk as Charles Murray's The Bell Curve.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
While no virgin, my view of loveless casual sex as "extravagant masturbation" shares some ground with this. Simply put, I don't think the trouble of having sex with some random person of relative-high hotness is worth the effort and I feel that you can have a more productive not as emotionally numb existence by satisfying your animal urges yourself when they arise and waiting to find that one special person to love and have proper sex with.

I know I'm a romantic and I put ***** on a pedestal and whatnot but meh, I'm happy being this way! :D

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
It's no better than the "men are the source of the worlds problems" argument.
Men != Patriarchy. This is the problem with typical antifeminism and other people getting defensive about privilege. Always asserting that when someone says something like "patriarchy" or "male supremacist thought" or "male privilege" or in terms of race, "white privilege", they're saying that white heterosexual men are evil and need to go away.

That's a farcical strawman. I'm tired of anti-feminists using these farcical, extreme comparisons to things. Society is littered with male supremacist thought. It's called male privilege. In fact most language lends itself to the idea that men are better than women.

It doesn't mean that men are bad or even to blame. It means that male privilege exist as a descriptor of society.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
I think in highschool (all girls boarding school people)

there are alot of mixed messages wtih girls and sexuality...its "bad" to be a "slut" aparently (but its ok for guys?)

aproaching sex with the "pure virgin" mindset makes you niave and is also a bad thing

but dont let anyone get ahold of photos/video or any info whats so ever...then that makes you a dirty slut

so its bad to be a virgin and also bad to have sex..makes sense

personally I dont veiw virginity as anything particually sacred or shameful, nor would I put sex on a pedastal

I think that high school and college males would prefer a virgin because then they are both inexperienced. That way, we feel that we can justify the awkward moment by sharing mutual agreement. I think it is a defense mechanism to avoid embarassment so they don't humiliate themselves with someone who has already had sex.